Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jumping  (Read 1233 times)

LunatictheInvincible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jumping
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »

My current fort is almost completely cut off from the rest of the world, with the only two methods of getting in (when the drawbridge is up) being flying and "jumping" around ten z-levels or actually jumping over a one square gap (not currently implemented as far as I know). However, that did not prevent an alligator from getting inside and killing one (maybe two) of my fifteen dwarves. Although I do believe I know how the gator got inside, I thought I might want to get some second opinions. Also, if there is sufficient demand I will (try) to upload the fortress onto the map archive for observation. Do note that the gator managed to make it into a high traffic construction zone without being noticed where it killed one dwarf and caused another to jump into the river (also the gator is currently mildly injured).
I have a pretty good idea as to how the gator made it inside the fortress, but would like to make this a "competition" of sorts, with the winner receiving this +cat skull totem+ I was waiting to be created when this little incident occured.
To be fair I shall post some of the possibilities:
A: Alligators can jump across small gaps.
B: Alligators are suicidal/kamikaze dive bombing relatives of the dreaded carp.
C: It is possible for alligators to pull themselves out of the river (without a stairway of any sort) through an unlocked hatch on the z-level above the water.
D: It's raining gators! While the weather is clear...
E: The alligators tag teamed in a wrestling match in order to throw one of their own into the fortress.
F: Anything else you come up with.
Spoiler: G: Hint/Cheating (click to show/hide)

So, have fun!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:56:51 am by LunatictheInvincible »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:19:39 pm »

It is possible for creatures that can swim to pull themselves out of 7/7 depth water without a ramp or stairway. It is also possible for animals to go through floor hatches, unless they are set to be tightly closed (pet-impassible). The way the amphibious, swimming alligator got into your fort is almost certainly through your unsecured hatch.

Also,
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

LunatictheInvincible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »

Spoiler: Thanks, friend. (click to show/hide)

Now, for bonus points, how might one go about putting a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler within a spoiler ad infintum until the very poorly played joke at the end?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:40:47 pm »

Spoilers within spoilers unfortunately do not work. See the following:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

Anyway, adventurers and creatures that learn how to swim in general can perform the "pull themselves out" trick.  Ramps are only necessary for non-swimmers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:45:05 pm »

My money would be on C.

But it's probably something less likely. :)

LunatictheInvincible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:20:19 pm »

Aye, NW_Kohaku I tried exactly that approach, but was wondering if there was some manner of sneaky code or other type of approach that could be used. However, this does not matter, as such more insane ideas must be posited for laughs!
In reality it looks C is most likely but G should be quite laughable when I release it in a couple of days (along with the fort on the map archive) <Insert Sneaky/Stealthy Smiley Here>

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:36:35 pm »

Also, creatures can dodge into pits.  You can use an upright spear or weapon trap, with cheap wooden weapons, and if any creatures dodges the attack, they jump into a neighboring tile.  You can use this to force creatures to dodge into pits.  Hammers within weapon traps also tend to do a lock of knocking damage, potentially throwing an enemy several tiles away, with the added benefit that hammers in a weapon trap rarely, if ever, jam up.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 04:28:35 am »

I will say:

You duplicate the raw and you got one of the following:
A- Flying alligators
B- Raining alligators instead of raining water

Can you have a rain of magma?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:59 am »

C

dwarves with adequate swimming can do this as well I believe.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 10:05:03 am »

I will say:

You duplicate the raw and you got one of the following:
A- Flying alligators
B- Raining alligators instead of raining water

Can you have a rain of magma?

No, but it is possible for rain to be so hot that it burns and kills dwarves.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:05 am »

Yeah, at the start of 0.31, the rain was so hot it burned your dwarves.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 10:45:38 am »

Not just burned, MELTED.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:51:46 am »

Well, dwarven fat melts in such a low temperature that it would start dripping out of them if they had a high fever, not to mention a hot bath like scorching biomes' rain provides.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 02:15:34 pm »

Not just burned, MELTED.

A pointless distinction, considering that there currently is no mechanic for "burning".  It's something the game really needs, alongside units actually being able to recognize when they are on fire, and trying to put it out, and having the sense to avoid walking into fires in the first place.

Considering how often players try to play with fire, some of these things are just plain long overdue.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LunatictheInvincible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 10:08:48 am »

In regards to duplicate RAW files or entries, I am extremely careful when I am modding just so that I can avoid rains of pink flamingos. As far as I can tell, the alligator did climb up through the unlocked floor hatch at the bottom of the construction, which I did not lock to pets in order to avoid that potential FPS hit as animals continously attempt to path through the door/hatch.
However, my original (and mildly strange) idea as to the reason behind the alligator involved water and the tendency of falling objects to be cushioned by objects they land on (as seen in one post I read a while back involving how the massive pile of body parts in a killing shaft was causing animals and goblins dropped into it to survive). In regards to Girlinhat's comment about dodging/jumping traps I have used them in previous forts (usually unintentionally) as a defense measure. It will be a dark day for those who utilize moats when jumping is properly and fully implemented. I'm thinking uploading the fortress and my answer either later this evening or tommorow somewhat early.

Thanks everyone.