Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Musicians  (Read 3346 times)

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Musicians
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »

We have a musicality attribute, and we have instruments, so why not a musician labor? Their "workshop" could be a box (stage) that is user-defined in size that the musicians would go to to play music. Music would temporarily increase the value of a room, give dwarves happy thoughts, etc.

So what do you think?
*insert witty signature here*

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Musicians
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »

I think I would be very surprised if Toady wasn't already planning to do this when he introduced the "Musicality" stat in the first place.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »

It would be awesome to see a cornered dwarf musician stab his flute into a gobbo's eyes!! And flutes with daggers attached!!! and drums could help train dorfs in formation!!!

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:34:22 am »

We have a musicality attribute, and we have instruments, so why not a musician labor? Their "workshop" could be a box (stage) that is user-defined in size that the musicians would go to to play music. Music would temporarily increase the value of a room, give dwarves happy thoughts, etc.

So what do you think?

Increasing the value of the room doesn't quite make sense as the music is entirely transient. Though happy thoughts are definitely a go. Higher musician *SKILL* makes Dwarves happier. Perhaps Dwarves should also have a favored musical instrument to listen to or even broader, a favorite musical theme or style. Perhaps music can have effects upon Dwarves, like war music increases the chance of a martial trance or it gives a slight boost to lesser skilled Dwarves, keeping them in step or even rallying them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:07:10 am by Agorp Stronden »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:04:29 am »

Dwarven Heavy Metal!!

These emoticons will discribe my feelings about this.
 :o 8) :P ;) :)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:37:55 am »

So what do you think?

Instead of a 'workshop' style room there should be theater areas designated in a manner similar to dining halls and bedrooms. Performers could be assigned to these areas to entertain idling dwarves that congregate there. And nobles could demand private theaters.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:48:27 am »

Great idea! Also I think songs should have a historical function (like engravings) to sing of great battles, historical events, leaders, creatures, etc. There could be two music skills: composition and performance.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »

Perhaps there should be no designations for dwarves to play music. They simply need to have the musician labor active and they will play for any meeting hall, party, or request.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »

Dwarven Heavy Metal!!

Don't you mean Dwarven deep metal?  :P

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »

Dwarven Heavy Metal!!
Platinum instruments! sorry, couldnt resist
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

ApolloCVermouth

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Rodopi Zhivkov
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 12:20:44 am »

I'd like to see spontaneous music, singing and bard's tales at parties -- this is planned I think. Another of the many music threads mentioned martial music for a morale/ bravery increase. A couple of others:

- court musicians: part of the royal retinue and performing at official ceremonies. This increases the overall prestige of your fortress.

- travelling bards: part of a more complicated system of migrants and visitors. They sing about the history of your civilization.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 09:01:19 am »

Dwarven Heavy Metal!!

Done in syrupleaf.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »

I think this was touched upon in DF Talk #12 while the guys were discussing the ins and outs of inns. It appears it definitely will be coming inn at some point. Have a listen to it.  ;)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »

Urist Mclistener has been happy lately. He has admired exceptional flute playing lately.

Chakravanti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:59:09 pm »

Learning to play an instrument in adventure mode could change peoples attitudes and musicians can occaisionally tame wild creatures on a skill:savagry basis or make invaders go away (or lul them into a dwarfy trap).

Bands could be formed at parties in meeting halls with a stage which practicing musicians can occupy in public or seclusion to preform or train. 

Ballads must be composed to have a more powerful certain effect.  Foreign vs. local ballads should not be a matter of superiority but rather something that has different effects.  Work ballads can give laborers a speed boost and/or XP boost. (descibed as exciting or studious).  Likewise Musicians can preform in barracks with heroic saga ballads and calls to duty chants of honor etc. and your military can march to the battlefield accompanied by a War Cadance to adrenalize.

Procedurally generated compositions from history.  Caravans with accompanying minsteral troupes preforming after successful trades or gifts with composers boosting relations.  Also capable of training personality to slowly encourage military personality.  A court jester noble.

Stealing enough merchants goods can inspire your musicians to mock the traders.

Think of the possibilities with a large and powerful enough band/choir with frequent attendance and careful selection of compositions.  Religion, with sects for Attendance to ensure your dwarves recieve their regular brainwa-I mean achievement of peace and oneness with armok and the divine.  And back to work happy as hell.
Pages: [1] 2