Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Musicians  (Read 3344 times)

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Musicians
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:00 am »

Urist Mclistener has been happy lately. He has admired exceptional flute playing lately.

Urist McHessian has been virile lately. He has admired an unwavering display of virility.

If reverence is added in DF, Dwarves should hold various ceremonies for their individual gods and goddesses. We all know Armok is the ultimate expression of Dwarven metaphysics, so a grand shrine to Armok should be erected and musical Dwarves could sing among the halls and to their own gods'/goddesses' shrine(a little place of worship maybe erected within a Dwarves room -- a new buildable item called the shrine made from a mason's shop).

|
|
|
|
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91305.0
|
|
|
|
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:18:38 pm by Agorp Stronden »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 04:56:02 am »

Adamantine instruments!

Perfectly rigid metal! Sound going nearly the speed of light in that bitch! Air taking limbs and heads off!

Adamantine guitar? Useless! Just try to strum or pluck those strings! Not gonna happen!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 06:54:22 am »

Dwarven musicians? Like Glod Glodsson. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:31:12 am »

How about, if a dwarf has no job, he just goes to the meeting hall and picks up an instrument. Doing so gives him a happy thought for playing and everyone else a happy thought from listening. I don't think a workshop is necessary.

Also, this might result in an entire room full of idle dwarves all playing different songs on different instruments and trying to drown out the others.
[Signature]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 07:42:05 am »

Great idea! Also I think songs should have a historical function (like engravings) to sing of great battles, historical events, leaders, creatures, etc. There could be two music skills: composition and performance.
Urist McMusician is playing The Dirge of Deer. This song has a mournful melody. It refers to the striking down of the goblin Unol TheLasher by Urist McGobliniteArmed.
Maybe engravings should be fixed before we make procedurally generated songs. Or not.

Dwarven Heavy Metal!!

These emoticons will discribe my feelings about this.
 :o 8) :P ;) :)

Don't you mean Dwarven deep metal?  :P
Actually, someone determined that the deep metal would create inaudible music and also give severe lacerations to the players' fingers.

How about, if a dwarf has no job, he just goes to the meeting hall and picks up an instrument. Doing so gives him a happy thought for playing and everyone else a happy thought from listening. I don't think a workshop is necessary.

Also, this might result in an entire room full of idle dwarves all playing different songs on different instruments and trying to drown out the others.
Both of those are good ideas.

Also: I think dwarven guitars should use the axe skill in combat.
Yes, I think dwarven rock & roll and heavy metal are a good idea. We already know dwarves are into rock, metal, and axes...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 02:52:14 pm »

Great idea! Also I think songs should have a historical function (like engravings) to sing of great battles, historical events, leaders, creatures, etc. There could be two music skills: composition and performance.
Urist McMusician is playing The Dirge of Deer. This song has a mournful melody. It refers to the striking down of the goblin Unol TheLasher by Urist McGobliniteArmed.
Maybe engravings should be fixed before we make procedurally generated songs. Or not.

Dwarven Heavy Metal!!

These emoticons will discribe my feelings about this.
 :o 8) :P ;) :)

Don't you mean Dwarven deep metal?  :P
Actually, someone determined that the deep metal would create inaudible music and also give severe lacerations to the players' fingers.

Both of those are good ideas.

Also: I think dwarven guitars should use the axe skill in combat.
Yes, I think dwarven rock & roll and heavy metal are a good idea. We already know dwarves are into rock, metal, and axes...

D: I just had a vision...

A vision of several dwarves making music from slade axes, standing on a platform in front of a lava waterfall with lignite braziers burning on either side of them and caged demons behind them as, in front of them, hundreds of glassy-eyed dwarves raise their cat tallow roasts in the air and sing.
[Signature]

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:02 pm »

blue lights are my fav

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:55 am »

we gonna need something like an weaponrack,but for instruments,I really hate dwarves taking things from stockpiles,it looks like they're just throwed a bunch of things on the floor for later use.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 02:14:33 pm »

Adamantine guitar? Useless! Just try to strum or pluck those strings! Not gonna happen!

The reaction to make it might actually need something for body (adamantine) and string/fur for the strings, so you could play some AWESOME music with an electric magma guitar (wdf? Dwarves do use magma instead of electricity though, I'm sure you understand).

For the first part: That might not be a happy thought if Urist McUnTalented tries playing a complex song on a microcline violin (it hurts my ears just saying it). Urist McUnTalented has been put in jail for injuring Urist McMayor's ears!

The second: We could just put that together with parties or musical concerts (and music COULD be restrict to specified rooms only)

Nobles could mandate music too (oh yes, I am VERY evil, but giving them a microcline violin-playing Urist McUnTalented could just drive them mad)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 03:22:34 pm »

I think an adamantine body may cause the same problem as an adamantine flute >_>

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 03:26:03 pm »

music should awake  dwarfs when they're sleeping.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 [2]