Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trap Designs  (Read 572 times)

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
Trap Designs
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:13:12 pm »

When being seiged by goblins I noticed a curious behaviour, when a goblin from a squad gets trapped in a cage trap and there are no dwarves or pets around to torment, the squad will stop dead in its tracks and cluster around their trapped squadmate. Through dwarven ingenuity we can exploit this behaviour by placing a single cage trap surrounded by 8 weapon traps like so:

+++++++
++^^^++
++^c^++
++^^^++
+++++++

+ = floor
^ = weapon trap
c = cage trap

As the trapped goblin sits in its cage its friends are eviscerated around him. Placing the cage trap centre on a tile that goblins are most likely to pathfind through enhances the effectiveness like so:

W+++W+++W
W+++W+++W
W++^W^++W
W++^c^++W
W++^^^++W
WWWWWWW

W = wall

Problems with this design include weapon traps becoming jammed (esp. serrated disks, you need the traps to continue reloading and firing as the enemies mill around the central cage trap), and the trap can only be used against one squad before the cage trap must be reloaded. Even after a seige expires the trapped squad will remain, so if all your traps become jammed and a squad of elite crossgobbos are sitting in your entrance hall this could cause problems.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour? And if so is it specific to goblins or consistent throughout other civilizations? (I noted that trolls brought by goblins behaved similarly though im not sure if trolls commanded by goblins would have goblin squad behaviour) It would be good to have confirmation from someone else that the design works. Suggestions for a name for this trap design are also welcome  :D (as are other personal trap designs)
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Designs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:16:06 pm »

As far as I know, menacing spikes don't jam. Just attach all seven to a lever, put the lever in your meeting area, set it to be repeatedly pulled and that should work.

Still... I haven't seen this happening, personally, being Dabbling in DF military, but it's an interesting find and I'll consider exploiting it.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:49:09 pm »

I noticed this too. They also send in the Trolls first, and don't go in until all the Trolls have gone first. But once they see a dwarf, the retard lever in their heads gets flipped, and they're just charge straight in.

They're no match for the Entrance Hallway of Death though! a 4x5 of the corridor is checkerboarded with cage and stonefall traps. Then it's 4x2 of serrated steel disks. Then everyone again. Then at the end, 4x1 weapon traps with TEN steel spikes each.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:58:02 pm »

How about the Loyalty Proving Device? It's rather touching.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:19:46 pm »

Yes, this will happen, goblins cluttering around their caged chief. But if you put weapon traps around the cage trap, the chief goblin will get injured/killed way before getting caught. Upright spikes could do, but require micromanagement. Still a good idea...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:03 pm »

Yes, this will happen, goblins cluttering around their caged chief. But if you put weapon traps around the cage trap, the chief goblin will get injured/killed way before getting caught. Upright spikes could do, but require micromanagement. Still a good idea...

in my experience it doesnt matter whether the squad leader is the one captured or not, if any squad member gets caught the whole squad will stop moving
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life