Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any RPing MU* that doesn't require Application?  (Read 2502 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any RPing MU* that doesn't require Application?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 11:18:23 am »

Thanks, didn't know that.

That's the main reason I stopped playing MU*'s.  Power tripping admins...
Well, hopefully, in a system where RP holds precident, the admins won't power trip as much.
That's the theory, at least.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:52 pm »

There are not really any big non-app MUSHes/MUXes left that I know of besides Firan. All the others of any meaningful population are app-only due to a prevalence of people who are morons that go around ruining RP for other people with their stupid twinky invincible characters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 12:46:17 pm »

I hate applications personally, it's much easier for me to develop the character as I go along, but they do help weed out the poorer roleplayers.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »

Quick question!
What do you guys consider too much of an "application"?

I quite agree that surmizing a character in it's entity before entering a MU* is a difficult thing, but even if I opened my MU* up into an open Beta or whatever, I'd still want to be quite selective over who joins.

I'm currently considering having a modification of the most advanced captcha system ever made.
(In all seriousness, what if there was a registration explanation box, rather than an application. I can usually guage someone's attitude from an introduction... But this way, people who may otherwise have messed up a formal application get a chance to show their colours through roleplay - which is effectively where the buck stops.)

On a related note, I've seen quite a few MU*ers here, and a couple of MU*admins too. - Nothing surprising, counting the number of the things out there... But, it strikes me as odd that no one's suggested a DF-themed MU* for the DF community!
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 02:37:18 pm »

There was already a DF MUD but, as follows the definition of MUD, it focused heavily on game mechanics over RP and never got to a playable state.

As for application processes...One big thing they provide the admins with, too, is a way to gauge your commitment.  It's frustrating as a player to welcome a newbie in, work them into your plots, and then have them totally vanish without a trace after a couple weeks.  If someone's started to get invested in their character, they're less likely to do that.  Also, the app process--which usually has at least one iteration of "Hmm, looking over your application, it might be better if you had X instead of Y, could we work on changing that?"--helps give people an idea of how well you play with others.  People who get fussy over that are more likely to rage when RP doesn't go their way.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »

There was already a DF MUD but, as follows the definition of MUD, it focused heavily on game mechanics over RP and never got to a playable state.
Dang. And there I was thinking that DF would encourage RP friendlier mechanics.

As for application processes...One big thing they provide the admins with, too, is a way to gauge your commitment.  It's frustrating as a player to welcome a newbie in, work them into your plots, and then have them totally vanish without a trace after a couple weeks.  If someone's started to get invested in their character, they're less likely to do that.  Also, the app process--which usually has at least one iteration of "Hmm, looking over your application, it might be better if you had X instead of Y, could we work on changing that?"--helps give people an idea of how well you play with others.  People who get fussy over that are more likely to rage when RP doesn't go their way.
Yeah, it kinda irks me every time I see that. Someone turns up, new character.. Logs in once... Then vanishes!
Fair enough if it isn't for you, but you've not gotten anything out of it, and niether have we.
...Though, this is deviating just a tad. Perhaps we should make a MU* Theory thread?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 03:32:45 pm »

I personally have big issues with losing interest in things, which is why I prefer it when I can walk in and out of it at any time.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 04:22:13 pm »

The bad thing about RP enforced MUCK/MUSH/MOO/MUDs is that more often then not they're dens of iniquity for furries, and believe me you don't wanna go there.

Not really. Furries tend to stick to MUCKs, for whatever reason. Most MUSHes are generally pretty safe. And anyway, you'll find that the divide between furry and non-furry games is a pretty easily recognizable one. Games are either furry or they aren't; there's not really any midway, so avoiding the fuzz (da-dum-ching) is not difficult.

I actually coded the better part of a Fallout-based RPG on MUX, with a fully functional combat system, items, stats, and the whole nine yards. Never got around to finishing all of the supplemental crap, though. IIRC I got bogged down while coding a combat grid that would calculate distances between players to make the difference between close-range combat and sniping more important.

To the OP, as for using MU*s without a client, here's my advice: don't do it. It sucks and there's not really any good reason to go without one, since all major MU* clients can be carried around on a flash drive. Get SimpleMU* or MUSHclient. They're both very good.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:24:34 pm by Lord Dullard »

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 07:06:13 pm »

A lot of applications tend to only ask you to summarise the background of your character. The most I have seen this applied is in MUSHs. I don't think it's really that bad, since a lot of the time I have to make sure that I actually have the time commitment to join the community and play on the game. If I don't have the time to write up a little application, what chance do I have to get anywhere roleplaying massive scenes with lots of other people?

And I guess it keeps the theme consistent. Allowing game masters to review characters before they are allowed into the game makes sure that those characters do not break any rules and abide to the context of the game's theme. I guess it also allows the DMs to take note of when new characters join, since a lot of MUSHs tend to be open communities that require interaction and communication constantly between players and DMs.

I don't really know of a lot of good quality MU*s that don't require an application. Any MU* that takes itself seriously when it comes to a consistent theme and integrity of it's playerbase, it'll probably have some kind of application system somewhere. (No disrespect to any MU* owners.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 07:09:20 pm »

The bad thing about RP enforced MUCK/MUSH/MOO/MUDs is that more often then not they're dens of iniquity for furries, and believe me you don't wanna go there.

Aardwolf? OH GOD FURRY SWORDSMEN

Achaea? FURRY DOUBLE RAINBOW

To be honest I never played either, just paying heed to some friend's advice.

This is bizarre, and from my experience untrue. Furries tend to stick to just Mucks, and their mu* names, are generally pretty telling. Heck, even Pokomon places that are not on a muck codebase are pretty safe to be non furry.

Why is everyone spelling it "MU*"?  I'm confused.
The Mu* shorthand, from what I've gathered is do in part to that fact that must codebases start with an Mu. Moo, being one of the few exceptions. The asterisk is most of the mu* codebases for their softcode language is the wildcard character.

Quick question!
What do you guys consider too much of an "application"?

I quite agree that surmizing a character in it's entity before entering a MU* is a difficult thing, but even if I opened my MU* up into an open Beta or whatever, I'd still want to be quite selective over who joins.

I'm currently considering having a modification of the most advanced captcha system ever made.
(In all seriousness, what if there was a registration explanation box, rather than an application. I can usually guage someone's attitude from an introduction... But this way, people who may otherwise have messed up a formal application get a chance to show their colours through roleplay - which is effectively where the buck stops.)

On a related note, I've seen quite a few MU*ers here, and a couple of MU*admins too. - Nothing surprising, counting the number of the things out there... But, it strikes me as odd that no one's suggested a DF-themed MU* for the DF community!

Well, my mu*, Navitas, will probably have to much of an application process.

Most Mushes tend to have the same application process. Its a series of room, you transverse through, that help you set up various aspects, from mu* things, like sex, and @ahear, joining channels. Then there are the game system set up as well, and sometimes a background room as the last room.

My game, will have the that stuff, but overall be done in two steps. Since for my game, you not only make your character but also your badass human or super natural creature, then you write a background for them. The rather open system for creating  your badass human or super natural creature, will allow for some crazy (as intended), but imbalance combinations, which will require approval. Then after that, you have to write a character background. 

So, from most mushes, this will be more work, not only for players but for the staff as well. This also makes it not newb friendly as well. I'm still considering how to lessen the work for my character generation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:17 pm »

I will offer another piece of advice: stay away from MU*s that do not have some kind of hardcoded combat/rolling system. They are likely to be twinkery-fests and havens for cliques of socially inept mouthbreathers.

The ones with hardcoded combat systems are also likely to be twinkery-fests and havens for cliques of socially inept mouthbreathers, but at least you can roll to kill their characters.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 08:34:27 pm »

I will offer another piece of advice: stay away from MU*s that do not have some kind of hardcoded combat/rolling system. They are likely to be twinkery-fests and havens for cliques of socially inept mouthbreathers.

The ones with hardcoded combat systems are also likely to be twinkery-fests and havens for cliques of socially inept mouthbreathers, but at least you can roll to kill their characters.

Whats wrong with Softcoded systems?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »

Whats wrong with Softcoded systems?

Nothing. I should have said 'coded combat system'.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 09:31:42 pm »

--and havens for cliques of socially inept mouthbreathers.
Well, that's an interesting insult!
I'll have to remember it.

The ones with hardcoded combat systems --
Though, I understand the theory of "softcoding", I really don't understand why you would want an entirely soft-coded combat system.

Also, I think this has started to leave the original topic...
Does anyone think there should be another topic for this, or will this one do?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 [2]