Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New to danger rooms... Pummelled a Legendary Dwarf's face to death?  (Read 1543 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just as he finished training and was all awesome, he keeled over.

I noticed he was 'pale' and had broken beyond repair his entire face and upper arms. I have a hospital set up (I think... No ones used it but I have a chief medical dwarf with all the labour active, I have the zone active and defined as a hospital, it has  beds, tables, containers. It appears to be working as it's correctly stocked) but he never went to hospital. He just passed out from infection in the dining hall.

I built a room and assigned it as a barracks and told him the squad to train there. I covered the floor in spike traps using 5 training spears in each. I then linked this to a repeater. I equipped the guy with iron helm/breastplate/greaves/highboots/gauntlets/shield/axe, I then made him stand in here. He trained really fast but he took too much of a beating it seems.

Did I do something wrong, why did he take so much facial and upper arm damage? Why didn't he use the hospital if his face was falling apart?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: New to danger rooms... Pummelled a Legendary Dwarf's face to death?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:30:52 pm »

1.) One training spear per trap is sufficient.

2.) I can't say. Did you give the dwarf a military order to stay in the room? Did your hospital have free doctors? Is it just a hospital bug? (You probably don't know if it's the last one.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:35:35 pm »

I gave them no orders. The danger room is right next to the hospital too. The hospital has free doctors, they only have medical labour active. Are they meant to wait in the hospital because I've noticed no one in the hospital =/ Other than when I set up the furniture and smoothed the walls/floor.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:43:02 pm »

Did you make sure to equip them with armor and clothing?  ???

Normal clothing is important as well, because they block training spears. You DID use training spears only, not real spears, right?  :o

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:45:13 pm »

Did you make sure to equip them with armor and clothing?  ???

Normal clothing is important as well, because they block training spears. You DID use training spears only, not real spears, right?  :o

They had armour but no clothes <_< I can't get clothes and armour to work. Normally they just strip off. How can I FULLY protect a dwarf?

And yea, they are wooden training spears.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »

Adding a cloak (or if you like, 5 cloaks) to the uniform will protect the facial extremities, and quite possibly will also increase protection on the upper arms. Also, bronze is better for armor, and steel even better than that.
I've never seen an injury in my 5-spear danger room with dwarves clad in steel armor, topped with 2 cloaks (1 silk, 1 plant fibre in my case).
Leather cloaks supposedly protect somewhat better than silk, but I tend to have large surpluses of silk/plant fibre, but not leather.

EDIT: normal clothes aren't needed. Just the cloaks.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:59:51 pm »

Well that solves that mystery. It seems Mail Shirts are needed to protect upper arms too.

Doesn't explain why no one seems to be using the hospital...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »

It seems Mail Shirts are needed to protect upper arms too.

Ah yes, sorry. I read your armor setup too fast, and missed the fact that it didn't include ring mail.

Doesn't explain why no one seems to be using the hospital...
I don't know why your dwarf didn't go to lay and rest in a hospital bed. Perhaps, your dining hall is on the route, from the danger room to the hospital?
If so, this could have happened: UristMcpulpface tries to get to the hospital, passes out from pain, wakes up, tries to get to hospital, passes out, wakes up, passes out, wakes up, dies in dining room.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:46 pm »

He was never passing out. He died to infection (should have mentioned). However, other military dwarves have got to the stage where their faces are broken. Surely after a minor injury they should go rest rather than training till their faces fall off... Unless a bruise given from a wooden training spear isn't sufficient enough to go to hospital?

I've never been great at using hospitals but I've had them working before. Is there any easy way of testing? In the year (in-game) I've had it set up, no one has entered the room (unless placing furniture).

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:12:08 pm »

This can probably be exploited to create a unit of elite, horribly scarred dwarves. If they die due to infection they were too weak for this unit anyway.

Tantrum spiral? Send in the Faceless Men. See if anyone has the balls to chuck a Molotov at these scary looking dudes.

For extra epicness, include masks with their armor.
This is to make me recognizable.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:19:19 pm »

This can probably be exploited to create a unit of elite, horribly scarred dwarves. If they die due to infection they were too weak for this unit anyway.

Tantrum spiral? Send in the Faceless Men. See if anyone has the balls to chuck a Molotov at these scary looking dudes.

For extra epicness, include masks with their armor.

Reminds me of my firstt really successful fort...  dual-dagger master who had his nose cut off in an early siege.  He wore an artifact elephant leather mask.  The dude was terrifying.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 09:05:22 pm »

If a spear gets a lucky hit in on a dwarf and stuns him, then the dwarf will stop dodging/blocking/parrying, which is where the serious face-mashing comes from.  I often just order up batches of 10 "Pull Lever"s at a time in order to give my dwarves and any unarmored beings that may have wandered in some time to recover before the pain returns.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

Can't you give us more details by looking at his combat report? That's what I'd do...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:21 am »

Ive had this problem once or twice. My hospitals work ok usually but sometimes I have a dwarf who gets injured, starts going to the hospital but then gets distracted and sort of switches back to "do whatever" mode. Its annoying because they're saying "Attend Party" but your thinking, "Mate, you should get that stump of a missing limb checked first, aye"

akinzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:02 am »

In my experience, military dwarves won't go to the hospital for injuries like cut open ears or lost teeth. These can become infected, and the dwarf won't wash or seek treatment, even if you take him off duty. Once had a dwarf refuse to go to the hospital after having a tooth knocked out by a training spear. He keeled over a while later from infection. Maybe if you injure him again while he is off duty he will go to the hospital?
Pages: [1] 2