Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Procedural content creation: Random plant creation script  (Read 35600 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural content creation: Random plant creation script
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:41 am »

'kay then. So, any plans for letting users choose what portions of lanuage_SYM.txt to use? Y'know, like with entities;

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:EARTH]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:DOMESTIC]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:SUBORDINATE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:EVIL]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:UNTOWARD]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:FLOWERY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATIVE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:UGLY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATOR]

Something like that? So we can do theme stuff without picking through the results the script spits out?

Edit: It seems most aboveground plants only have [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]. Does it only do specific biomes rarely?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:31:42 am by Vorthon »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2011, 10:46:27 am »

It would certainly be possible to filter the symbols that way.  I hadn't been planning on putting that function in, but I'll consider it if I have the time.

Most aboveground plants have [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING].  This is also the case with the default plants in vanilla DF.  This script will sometimes generate plants from more specific biomes: tundra, desert, tropical, grassland, and wetland specific plants should turn up periodically.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:10 am »

I looked a bit closer, and I noticed that.

Also: Any plans for adding trees as a possible output?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 10:57:56 am »

Also: Any plans for adding trees as a possible output?
I've considered it, but honestly there didn't seem to be much point.  Trees are pretty much all the same - most of them vary only by their name, biome, and the density of their wood.  Making randomly generated trees wouldn't add much useful new content.  Admittedly this is true of the procedural plant generator too - most of these plants are basically the default plants with funny names - but there's at least a lot more that can be varied with crops than there is with trees.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 11:01:40 am »

Also: Dyes. They always just have the colour in the name. Any plans for improving that so users don't end up with a dozen different dyes all called 'blue dye'.

(Oh my. It's turned into an interview...)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 11:32:27 am »

Also: Dyes. They always just have the colour in the name. Any plans for improving that so users don't end up with a dozen different dyes all called 'blue dye'.
The current version should be randomly generating dyes of any color listed in descriptor_color_standard.  Blue does seem to show up more often than others because it is separately listed a few times in language_SYM in addition to the color list, so it's chance of showing up is greater than the other colors.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 11:39:50 am »

The current version should be randomly generating dyes of any color listed in descriptor_color_standard.  Blue does seem to show up more often than others because it is separately listed a few times in language_SYM in addition to the color list, so it's chance of showing up is greater than the other colors.

What I meant was: Will the generated dyes eventually reference the name of the plant they're tied to?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 11:48:51 am »

Do you mean having the dye be called (for example) "red bush dye" rather than just "red dye"?  That would be a fairly easy change to make.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 11:50:29 am »

What would have to be changed? I might be able to do it on my end.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:05 am »

Change line 659 from:

[(['STATE_NAME_ADJ','ALL_SOLID',coloradj+' dye'],[]),

to:

[(['STATE_NAME_ADJ','ALL_SOLID',plant_name_sing+' dye'],[]),

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59:55 am »

Thanks.

(We should probably stop leapfrogging now...)

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 12:35:21 pm »

Well this is very interesting. I will download this immediately! Homework be damned!
This could be useful to Toady himself. He has said that he wants everything to be procedurally generated eventually...

Some of my favorite plants:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:10:30 pm by NotPete »

Mandango

• Bay Watcher
  • mayor cancels Destroy Building: Resting injury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2011, 06:11:50 am »

I absolutely love this mod, here's just a few enjoyable creations.  Though I did notice that none of these plants are usable as wood.  I feel like the addition of randomly generated trees would be pretty nice too.

hehe, crotchtuft

I particularly like the name "cuddling ale"

Warmushrooms are the Dwarfest thing ever

gotta be immature again. hehe, nude weed
Don't forget to check that a live puppy not falling to his doom will also set off such a plate of course.
I'm not sure if I follow the logic here.  So... how do we kill the puppies?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »

I already know that the program is designed to be able to incorporate custom language files, but I would like to know if the program will still work if my custom language files contain non-coding notes in between the actual word and symbol entries proper(?)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2011, 01:52:29 pm »

The script only looks at the symbol and words files, not the species specific-languages.  If you've added in custom symbols or new words, it will use those.  The raw file parser ignores anything not in square brackets, just like DF does.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13