Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Procedural content creation: Random plant creation script  (Read 35623 times)

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
Re: Procedural content creation: Random plant creation script
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:11 pm »

and this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2011, 06:20:18 pm »

Just installed and ran this for the first time. Some of the results are amusingly redundant.

Amusing, but no. Culled!

ETA: Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Freud to the random plant generator...

A disease-causing "meat stick"? That's not subtle at all!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:56:47 pm by proxn_punkd »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2011, 07:37:01 pm »

And its syndrome is localized bruising.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:40 pm »

Ow... Split my lip laughing at that one...

Sphalerite; could I suggest that it would be good for the frequency tag to be randomized between 1 and 100 instead of a guaranteed 100? It's just unusual, and fairly unnatural, to get 100% of all possible plants in a given area. It would be interesting if each civ had access to different plants because not all of them grow throughout each biome they can appear in.
On that note, it seems that 100% of above-ground plants that have been posted have the NOT_FREEZING biome, which means they'd appear everywhere in the first place.

Won't be running it myself for a few weeks, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2012, 12:37:10 am »

Curious little "feature"; soap made from generated plants is apparently cookable. I have a few stacks of "frozen deep bean soap roast". A little weird, but amusing for now, and my dorfs are making animal tallow soap, so it's not hurting anything.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »

It's been a while since I looked at the script, but I seem to recall that Sphalerite uses only one material definition for extracts/soaps/etc. I think that also leads to soap having "wrong" state names compared to the stock game. While we're at it, I think the trees also don't get the correct material value for their wood material - I know all logs I've seen from the generated trees have a value of 3*.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »

Yeah, I hadn't really tested this much with plant-based soap when I released it.  It could really use some major revamping, which I might do after the next version of DF is released.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2012, 07:34:57 pm »

No rush! Like I said, it's not actually hurting anything. Sort of amusing, actually. I wonder if they'll actually eat it... dwarven mouthwash, anybody?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2012, 11:16:17 am »

Or the dwarven equivalent of Thrills gum.

I'm not kidding. It's gum that tastes like soap. And it is awesome. Unfortunately, the only chain of stores that seems to carry it is going out of business, apparently. I should go to one of them and buy out their entire stock of it. Just for the soapy goodness.

*Looks up at the previous paragraph.*

Well, at least I'm living up to my user text's promise. :P

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2012, 09:26:56 pm »

Is this still working? and what about the other one located here (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66190.0)?
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:57 pm »

This should still work, but it's a bit out of date and doesn't have any of the new interaction effects in.

The uplift engine code is really outdated, I wouldn't use it with the normal version.  Toady has put silly numbers of animal people in the regular game anyway now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »

This should still work, but it's a bit out of date and doesn't have any of the new interaction effects in.

The uplift engine code is really outdated, I wouldn't use it with the normal version.  Toady has put silly numbers of animal people in the regular game anyway now.

Ok then thank you very much for replying.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2012, 03:41:35 am »

Hope this doesn't seem like necroing the thread.
This seemed very, very interesting. Just what I was looking for. However.. Following the directions, the script simply generates a .txt only containing:

It's pretty likely I'm just missing something, I made sure I'm pointing it to the right directory (Which was the problem someone else had)

Edit: I realized there was an error in the brief moment the terminal window would be running after the script. Here are the last few lines.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:47:45 am by Auning »
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2012, 04:49:52 am »

I'm getting the same error
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2012, 05:47:08 am »

Toady removed all of the 'dirty' words that were previously in the game (the afformentioned [UNTOWARD] words), which is probably what is causing that crash. If you hunt down an older version it is pretty easy to add them back in again.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13