Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's play Master of Orion 2 : + Parts 4,5 - Gnolam Genocide!  (Read 5534 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Master of Orion 2
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 03:41:15 pm »

Charismatic is often a life-saver, as it makes it easier to keep the other races pleased with you and not attack too early.
Ah, I love to attack everyone :D.

Yeah, it's a viable strategy, but I prefer to research stuff myself, and I just love interceptors for some reason (and beam weapons). Probably a matter of taste :).

Also I prefer phasors and then disruptors. I usually skip plasma guns for one reason or another.

Sign you up? Which kind of ship do you want?

I will try to be diverse in strategy to make let's play interesting. It should be hard without focus on something specific only (because it's usually how you beat AI), but more interesting.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 04:21:34 pm »

I do have trouble hearing you, but as someone said before, it's not your linguistical skills that makes it hard to understand, it's all of the background noise. I recommend getting a better microphone.

Secondly, I've actually had a similar idea of using VLPs to practice language, although it was more of an additional bonus instead of the main goal. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, though.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

Yep, I tested it and my microphone seems to accumulate static electricity. When I touch it the noise goes away but then comes back. I should have a better one somewhere, I will try to look for it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:31 pm »

Have fun. It's been ages since I last played this game. I've managed to beat MOO 1, but I've yet to beat this one.

I've also been wondering how to edit or rip graphics from these games too. See if I can at least toss in some of my own designs or something. So far, no luck on finding any kind of decompilers or anything of the sort to do that.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 03:21:01 am »

There are none. I have a set of tools, but they are unique and in russian. A russian guy wrote them, and I think there's only one place in internetz where you can get it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 05:53:23 am »

I've started to add annotations which repeat my words in text. Does it help?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 07:53:19 am »

I am uploading the second video.

The "i"->"ee" problem is still present, sorry, but I tried to sound clearer this time. Also it has a few annoying microphone errors in the middle, just for a few seconds, so I just warn you in advance. It doesn't block any voice, but the unexpected sounds seemed annoying to me.

Uploading.
P.S. Okay it's up!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:21:09 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 09:23:35 am »

I haven't listened to anything yet, but I just wanted to comment that the English short i is closer to the first vowel in январь than anything else.

If we transliterated it, it would be written "Yanvar" and pronounced something like "Yinvar."  So, we need the first (English) vowel after the y sound.

I hope that makes sense.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Master of Orion 2 - second part is uploaded
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:00 am »

Sorry, I don't get it. The "a" in "ya" is pronounced like "ar" in russian. What do you mean? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 09:34:41 am »

The stress isn't on the "ya," and the resultant sound is a lot more like "short i" to me than anything else I've heard so far.

It may just be a very, very short a, but it sounds closer to me than Ы does.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 09:45:53 am »

Okay, yeah, I understand the difference between "bi" and "bee". It's just hard to control it :). I will learn it with time if I pay attention to it.

About starting strategy: what do you think? Should I've rushed scouts/tried to buy a colony ship? I doubt I would have enough production/credits for that though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:31 am »

No worries.  My own "Russian" accent is really embarrassingly bad, so if you're doing this sort of thing at all I say more power to you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 03:25:09 pm »

I've noticed that you sometimes tend to mispronounce "v" as "w". E.g. in "however"(yours: howewer), "level"(yours: lewel). Also, the other way around, in "we", "switch" and "with". I could hear you correcting yourself at times, so I guess you're aware of this.

Re: game - I think you're doing fine. I always tend to hire even the crappy leaders - you never know when their little bonus might help, and they do get better with experience. Especially when you're "repulsive", which halves the amount of leaders that approach you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »

Hmmm I wondered why you werre playing Master of Orion that one time Deon.

Interesting

Also Dang does Master of Orion not play around with some of their powers. Creative is quite powerful

I can only guess Uncreative is where you can select what you research, but what you obtain is purely random.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:30:49 pm by Neonivek »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 07:22:25 pm »

Hmmm I wondered why you werre playing Master of Orion that one time Deon.
Which "one time"? Sorry I didn't understand the question.

Interesting

Also Dang does Master of Orion not play around with some of their powers. Creative is quite powerful

I can only guess Uncreative is where you can select what you research, but what you obtain is purely random.
Yeah, uncreative is a VERY random trait. It should be -10 or something, not -4 (it is fixed in one of community balance patches, I may play with it later, but this one is Vanilla).

Uncreative only allows you to pick the "levels of research", and you get a random tech out of appropriate ones. So you can miss the most important stuff in the game which basically means no early economy until you trade for techs... So yeah, if you miss research labs and automated factories, it's pretty much a game over :D.

I've noticed that you sometimes tend to mispronounce "v" as "w"
Yeah, another problem hehe. My main problem is that I sometimes dive into the game and forget about my english ;D.

I always tend to hire even the crappy leaders - you never know when their little bonus might help, and they do get better with experience. Especially when you're "repulsive", which halves the amount of leaders that approach you.
Yeah, I may consider hiring him if I find another system with at least two farming planets. Otherwise it will be really just a waste of resources.

Anyway I will hire him only on the last allowed turn, because otherwise we will lose 1 credit/turn while he does nothing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:33:27 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3