Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst Forgotten Beast You've Had  (Read 2551 times)

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst Forgotten Beast You've Had
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:59:57 am »

I have had occasionally pathetic forgotten beasts, the ones who seem to die from the glance of an untrained dog... but tonight I got the worst forgotten beast I've ever had, and it made me wonder... what sorts of random nastiness have others had generated?

Just in case someone wants to be surprised at some of the horrors that may wait randomly for them...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:10:08 am by Llahlahkje »

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Forgotten Beast You've Had
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:07:18 am »

All the forgotten beasts in my previous fort were pushovers, thanks to me setting invaders off until I was ready.

However forgotten beasts have the ability to kill from beyond the grave; I lost count of how many dwarves died from stepping in poison extract. The name of the beast was Kest Etakon, a gigantic skinless skink with antennae. Beware it's deadly dust. For years after it died Kest's extract killed dwarves and made others sick, causing no less than two tantrum spirals which caused the last member of my original seven to die of madness. This combined with FPS deterioration caused me to abandon fort.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:07:53 am »

Just wait for a deadly-dust spreading inorganic rock/metallic blob. They fly, they are practically undestroyable and they kill your fortress within a minute if they get in. Even if they died.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:39:02 am »

Why would they be undestroyable? Blobs can be cut in half as far as i can tell. Also inorganic with dust highly increases the beasts chance to kill itself upon knocking itself around with its dust.
Anyway dust generally is really the worst, if it's of a sufficiently deadly kind (like instant unconsciousness followed by total paralyzing and suffocation). Doesn't help that it goes over z-levels as well so shooting at non flying dust beasts from 5 levels above can still be lethal for your marksdwarfs.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:44:18 am »

I had a giant, fire-breathing camel that squirmed and fidgeted, and for some reason it was just a damn bear to deal with.

I seem to get a lot of bird-shaped beasts lately, so the flying thing doesn't help.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Syraine

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORGOTTEN_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:31:37 am »

Refer to my signature.
All games contain tamable spiders.

All spiders can set traps.

One of my fortresses contains a troll made of flame. http://www.nineplanets.org/pluto.html

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:09:51 pm »

I had an amber scarab with deadly dust that fortunately only caused sleep a few ticks after exposure for, shall we say, long enough. Luckily I tested it by tossing goblins at it, so I had a pretty good sense of how long the militia should have before sleep kicks in, and was all ready to bring three squads one after the other. Instead the scarab lost its head to a fast drawing dwarf (literally the 1st strike in the combat log--and except for one leg the scarab was all red--broken everything--it had been eating goblins for two years before I let it see a dwarf).
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?