Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cast Obsidian Tower  (Read 2876 times)

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cast Obsidian Tower
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

Haven't actually carved out any, haven't had a chance to plan it properly yet, which'll probably take just as long as the actually digging.

I'll give your method a crack on the ground, been doing some experiments with constructed simulation to see if I can reseal it, which is really the only problem. If not then I'll probably do what I outlined in my previous post.

Didn't realise that, Dorf3000, thanks. Although I guess it doesn't really affect me that much, just means that some rooms'll be disproportionately valued, and all the nobles' rooms have artifacts in them anyway so that's no biggie.
Dwarf fortress... The only place where it is a viable economic alternative to use silver for bulk storage of random trinkets.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 06:30:01 pm »

Casting obsidian without a solid floor underneath would be a pain in the ass. You'd have to cast one row at a time, to prevent cave-ins, and if somehow something did collapse you would be unable to fix it since it would be under two stories of magma. It could be done, but I could see how it would be simpler to just do it and figure out how to fix it later.
Wait, how do you cast a thing like this without doing so one row at a time? That really seems like the easiest way to me.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »

Casting obsidian without a solid floor underneath would be a pain in the ass. You'd have to cast one row at a time, to prevent cave-ins, and if somehow something did collapse you would be unable to fix it since it would be under two stories of magma. It could be done, but I could see how it would be simpler to just do it and figure out how to fix it later.
Wait, how do you cast a thing like this without doing so one row at a time? That really seems like the easiest way to me.
Build a floor to cover the hole and trap the magma beneath.  Apply magma to floor.  Cool magma on top of floor, doesn't collapse since it's resting on constructed floor.

I haven't been paying attention to this thread, but yeah, this is what I would do, and I'm pretty sure it would work awesomely.

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »

Finding the whole thing of there being collapses involved kinda confusing, can't see how that'd happen, and wouldn't even really needa construct a floor over it if it was 7/7 magma then 2 or 3 on the next level, would just cast another level. Of course that'd be a lot easier if it's what I did from the start, but it's not so I'm left with the current problem. Probably sort it out next week in my marathon sessions after work.
Dwarf fortress... The only place where it is a viable economic alternative to use silver for bulk storage of random trinkets.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 08:59:46 pm »

Finding the whole thing of there being collapses involved kinda confusing, can't see how that'd happen, and wouldn't even really needa construct a floor over it if it was 7/7 magma then 2 or 3 on the next level, would just cast another level. Of course that'd be a lot easier if it's what I did from the start, but it's not so I'm left with the current problem. Probably sort it out next week in my marathon sessions after work.
The collapses happen when some parts of your magma turn into rock before other parts.  Specifically, when a block in the middle of your magma turns into rock, thus leaving it floating surrounded by magma on all sides.  It then immediately 'caves in' and falls all the way down to the bottom of your magma pool, and is replaced with fresh magma instead, which then promptly turns into rock as well and repeats the procedure.  This wouldn't happen if the entire magma layer turned to rock the very same instant, but I'm not sure if that is even possible to make happen.

If you didn't plan ahead before this point you're now stuck with one of three options:
#1 dig a hole through your entire magma cast and pump up magma with a giant pump stack inside
#2 dig a hole in the top of your tower, build the giant magma pump stack outside and pump to the top, then pour in
#3 if it's a looong way down to the lava and you don't want the permanence of a pump stack, maybe consider a magma piston.  This way, you get the pleasure of making the collapse-mechanic your bitch!  ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59894.0 )

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 09:28:41 pm »

Those collapses weren't a problem, I'd built a rather large stone box and just did it one layer at a time. Took ages to fill each layer with 2/7 magma, but got there in the end. Having this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seems to work to seal the open space, which'd be the hole in the wall I've just pumped water in (I just made this on the ground outside), so must be time to start remaking the pump stacks..
Pages: 1 [2]