Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brand new Fortress... Killed by Penguins.  (Read 1250 times)

john_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brand new Fortress... Killed by Penguins.
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:05:27 am »

Well, Zombie Penguins. Note that this is using Genesis Mod.

Terrifying Glacier biome (wanted a challenge!). Immediately swarmed by a pack of Zombie Mammoths, which I killed. One of my Dorfs died, another was wounded lightly and a third was completely crippled. Since I had just barely dug out the start of a fortress, I couldn't get him much help.

A few minutes go by, and I see a new combat report; Zombie Penguins attacking the cripple. He dies.

And then... I have no idea what happened next. They chased the dog into the fort and KILLED EVERYTHING. A pair of zombie Penguins did more overall damage than a herd of six Zombie Mammoths. All five of my remaining Dorfs, still part of the impromptu and unarmed military from the Mammoth scuffle, died to a pair of Penguins.

What the shit, Dwarves?

Alternatively: What the shit Penguins!?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Brand new Fortress... Killed by Penguins.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:09:54 am »

what the shit, you embarked on evil biomes without proper equipments? I guess it's not your fault indeed, move along.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

john_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:36:33 am »

I've always embarked on Evil biomes since my third or fourth fort. Just never a glacier. It's always started about the same; one or two Dwarves die before I get everyone safe inside. The Mammoth-deaths were pretty much par for the course.

Then I got killed by Penguins. I've never had as much trouble starting off as I did with those Pengu clones.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:37:49 am »

Could have been worse... I can't think how.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:13 am »

This is Armok's way of saying "Use Linux."  ;D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:24 am »

This is Armok's way of saying "Use Linux."  ;D

More like his punishment for not using Linux. Armok does not give commandments. He just punishes if you don't guess his will.
This is to make me recognizable.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:30 am »

Do you embark with combat skills or equipment?  Zombies and skeleton beasts seem pretty easy to kill usually.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:56 am »

Zombies are ridiculously easy.  On my few attempts to drop on a terrifying, I had an untrained peasant tackle a group of zombie elephants, like 5 of them, and punch them to death, with only minor bruises.  Needless to say, it was not the "oh shit zombie elephant" moment I had expected, but rather "shit, zombie elephants..." as they caused endless work cancellations and a very tired militia man.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:52 am »

I'm suddenly reminded of Zoo Tycoon 1.

For those of you who haven't played it, Zoo Tycoon 1 had a bug where if you placed an Emperor Penguin in an enclosure with another animal, they will ALWAYS chase down the other animal and kill it, and the other animal will ALWAYS run away. This even worker if you were using the dinosaur expansion, and put an Emperor Penguin in the same enclosure as a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »

I'm reminded of prinnies dood!
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »

Did any zombie penguins wield and throw another zombie penguin? Into your booze stockpile?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:41:08 pm »

Did any zombie penguins wield and throw another zombie penguin? Into your booze stockpile?

... I must find a way to mod this.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

Skeletal beasts are MUCH more vicious and dangerous than zombies from what I have personally seen.