Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Floor Bars should stop hoofed animals.  (Read 2832 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floor Bars should stop hoofed animals.
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:52:45 am »

hoofed animals irl cant walk on bars, they are actually used on farms by placing them over a shallow ditch dug under the width of gates so that even when the gate is open animals cant walk over them. of course if a heavy set creature like a cow is forced onto them they will be injured and possibly become stuck but typically wont step on them unless forced or in a panic. horses obviously can just jump over them, either way i would like to be able to use them to keep my animals form escaping pasture. any in favor?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Floor Bars should stop hoofed animals.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:17:21 am »

This suggestion is interesting, because right now, a hoof and foot are the same thing, as far as they game can see. The only differance is in the name and what you see it as. As such, how do we seperate one type of foot from another?
I guess the easyest thing would be to add a new tag into the raws saying [NO_BARS] or something of that nature onto a new type of foot, then throw this onto any hoofed animals, then they are forbidden from walking over these grids. So implmentation is possible.
Another question is what happens if an animal is droped onto bars? Do they get stuck? Do they walk off?

This is, though, a good suggestion, as it allows for controll over animals in vanilla, and has some cool applications for hooved entitys in mods.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 01:57:16 am »

This is, though, a good suggestion, as it allows for controll over animals in vanilla, and has some cool applications for hooved entitys in mods.
Am I the only person that reads this line and imagines a mod with some minotaur-like invader race, and the player using floor bars like a wall to keep them out?
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:57:56 am »

Am I the only person that reads this line and imagines a mod with some minotaur-like invader race, and the player using floor bars like a wall to keep them out?
No, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:48:25 am »

Good idea. Also, if they're real dumb, they could go ahead and try to walk on the bars and get stuck. You know what happens when a cow gets stuck in a cattle guard and nobody rescues it? It ain't pretty.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:56 pm »

It might make sense to attach a number of rules to hooves specifically, we'll want horseshoes and the like. On the other hand, there are creatures with small hooves that are hindered by bars but don't use horseshoes.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:04:57 pm »

In general it might be nice to add some tags that stop creature movement. This could look like this:

[stay_away [object][distance]]
That way we could quickly add new combinations 0 would mean do net enter tile with the object and any higher value would mean that a creature isn't willing to come close to something at all.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:52:12 pm »

It would be better for determinations about whether or not something can walk on a particular type of surface determined by the material properties of the foot itself. A hoof, being of a rigid material, slides off metal bars, while a fleshy foot has high friction and give that allows it's shape to adapt to the surface.

If the foot was the same shape as human foot, but composed of a rigid material, it ought have the same problems as a hoof when trying to walk across awkward surfaces.
!!&!!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:39 pm »

It would be better for determinations about whether or not something can walk on a particular type of surface determined by the material properties of the foot itself. A hoof, being of a rigid material, slides off metal bars, while a fleshy foot has high friction and give that allows it's shape to adapt to the surface.

If the foot was the same shape as human foot, but composed of a rigid material, it ought have the same problems as a hoof when trying to walk across awkward surfaces.
But then again a modder could look at he's creature and say to himself  'Yes, this creature has rigid feet! I am going to give it feet with this new tag then prevents movment over bars!' and that is one less process for your computer. I know, i know... I seems to break the laws of normalisation, but then again a BC would have no trouble with bars, so it would allow the modder to make the creature conform to their plan.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »

in fairness to the player the tag should also add something to the creature description like "has black furr and *size* hoofed feet" with *size* being determined by the tag like [hoofed=1] for small, [hoofed=2] for medium and [hoofed=3] for large. like a sheep or a goat would obviously have small where a cow, deer or horse would be about a medium then  you would have minotaurs and demons with large. also the speed of an animal really should give the possibility for them to jump over the floors. maybe with cool traps added like a metal floor on the other side for them to slip on and go down a pit? that would be a pretty rape trap.

>minotaur jumps over floor bars
>minotaur lands and slips on brass floor
>minotaur slides and falls down multi z-level hole onto spikes.

hmmmm, this could even be expanded that non hoofed creatures have troubles with floors a hoofed creature can walk over. say a heated metal floor for an arena passage way. you have your horrible demons walk in easy enough but your dwarfs cant walk out that passage. though obviously metal boots would solve the problem.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:50:37 pm »

in fairness to the player the tag should also add something to the creature description like "has black furr and *size* hoofed feet" with *size* being determined by the tag like [hoofed=1] for small, [hoofed=2] for medium and [hoofed=3] for large. like a sheep or a goat would obviously have small where a cow, deer or horse would be about a medium then  you would have minotaurs and demons with large. also the speed of an animal really should give the possibility for them to jump over the floors. maybe with cool traps added like a metal floor on the other side for them to slip on and go down a pit? that would be a pretty rape trap.

>minotaur jumps over floor bars
>minotaur lands and slips on brass floor
>minotaur slides and falls down multi z-level hole onto spikes.

hmmmm, this could even be expanded that non hoofed creatures have troubles with floors a hoofed creature can walk over. say a heated metal floor for an arena passage way. you have your horrible demons walk in easy enough but your dwarfs cant walk out that passage. though obviously metal boots would solve the problem.
Oh metal boots would do the opposite of solving the problem. You'd probably want something like ceramic(stone) boots for that. The rest of your post is an excellent suggestion, and probably the best way to handle hoofed animals and conditionally hazardous terrain.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 05:44:49 am »

while metal boots would heat it would take time at least, something like leather would heat faster... then again i guess they would make decent soles for their shoes... i duno.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 05:50:15 am »

Not realy needed. When we went from 40d to what was first dubbed 'd2010' and is now known as df 0.31.xy we got this realy cool upgrade from [SIZE:1 TO 7] to just giving the volume of the creature, and from then on the game figures it out from body proportions. So the game would know that a horse has bigger hoves then a goat without having to do it yourself.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 07:42:42 am »

cool, thx for that.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 05:09:25 pm »

while metal boots would heat it would take time at least, something like leather would heat faster... then again i guess they would make decent soles for their shoes... i duno.
nope sorry
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: [1] 2