Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Floor Bars should stop hoofed animals.  (Read 2828 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Floor Bars should stop hoofed animals.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:01 pm »

I am intrigued by this idea, there could be some serious fun involved when the merchants hauling pack mules come along. As far as minitour blocking goes according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_grid)

animals with particularly large feet, such as American bison or even particularly large bovine bulls, can walk across them without slipping between the bars.

Minitours are larger then a cow, I'm sure they would just walk across it.

So the creature itself would need a [NO_BARS] tag to make it more convenient then making a new body part that doesn't slip through bars. And think of the fun you could have by putting this tag on elves.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 02:52:26 am »

Well it depends on how far appart the bars are really. cattle can walk over bars that are placed close to eachother (it's sometimes used to seperate them from their waste). While placing the bars far appart will probably stop even creatures like the minatour.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 02:54:33 am »

Bars far enough apart for cats and possibly even skinny dwarves to slip through?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 03:17:36 am »

Far enough for cats would be around 2 m, I suspect
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 11:17:03 am »

2 meters of space between bars is enough for shorter people to fall through sideways.  In fact, that's not so much "bars" as it would be "the bar in this tile".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 11:51:40 am »

Cats are far too nimble to fall for any such contrivance, is what I'm saying. As is any creature clever enough to actually watch its own footing.
Horses, cattle, elephants - these it should work on fine.

To keep cats out - doors should do that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2011, 11:54:26 am »

"Slip through" is not the same as "accidentally fall through".  I meant that if minoutaurs were coming, you could slip through the bars to safety.

Although you do raise a question I was meaning to ask - how is a floor bar that stops hooved animals that different from a pet-impassible door?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 11:59:25 am »

I wasn't thinking about the possibility of going through the floor, true. That is a difference between floor bars and doors, as well.

Other than that, in current game terms there wouldn't be much of a difference. In the real world, obviously, doors have to actually be opened and closed, you can't do that while carrying a barrel, especially if you're trying to keep the cats mules from escaping at the same time. Doubtful whether they will ever be like that in DF though.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »

well because pet impassable door really just means "door that blocks a pet till a dwarf goes through it and said pet slips through with them"

if only the 'keep tightly shut' but included said dwarf making shore no animals follow them through!
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 02:53:32 pm »

I like this idea and further wonder why a large hooved herbivore would ever even attempt to descend a steep stone staircase into a dark hole in the ground if it weren't being chased by a lion or something.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »

"Slip through" is not the same as "accidentally fall through".  I meant that if minoutaurs were coming, you could slip through the bars to safety.

Although you do raise a question I was meaning to ask - how is a floor bar that stops hooved animals that different from a pet-impassible door?

It has to do with one day creatures being able to break down doors, and minotors.
Pages: 1 [2]