Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bogeymen: The Clowns of Adventure Mode  (Read 8819 times)

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen: The Clowns of Adventure Mode
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »

Last time I got ambushed by bogeymen, my speed was in the 900's, and I came out mauled but perfectly fine.
Then again I was a Void Master Illithid that had legendary CQC skills and has taken so many hits I'm surprised he hasn't died yet.
Seriously there isn't a single part of his body that isn't covered in scars.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 12:23:59 am »

I just avoid sleeping outdoors until I've levelled up a fair bit. I've found that once you make it to <weapon> Lord, you can get away with just legging it, thumping any bogeymen who get too close, and legging it some more until you make it to civilization or the sun comes up.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 02:17:32 am »

They arn't impossible but there are some requirements

You MUST have at least 1600 speed or else they will swarm all over you

You must be fully armored

Now as for weapons, slashing is good and bashing not so much.

Oddly enough I found their mortal weakness... Biting their hands. You can rip them right off.

Strategy wise you want to fight each one, 1 on 1 and injure it while dancing around the others.

When I beat my first Boogyman group I had 1800 speed so it helped.

Personally I don't think Bogeymen exist, I think they represent the natural drive of insanity when all alone.

I've heard this theory before, but it doesn't hold up to when they start attacking wildlife or when nearby villagers and soldiers come to your aid.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 04:12:08 pm »

Personally I don't think Bogeymen exist, I think they represent the natural drive of insanity when all alone.

I've heard this theory before, but it doesn't hold up to when they start attacking wildlife or when nearby villagers and soldiers come to your aid.

This is the way it should be imo. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have murderous shadow creatures attack you every night as the game's in development, but the certainty of it forces you to plan around it. If they've got to be indiscriminately murderous and unarguably existent, I'd rather they be linked to regions in worldgen - not necessarily evil/terrifying/haunted regions, either.

So then I claw my own eyes out at night from loneliness?

Maybe if they were more mischievous, like stealing your things and pushing you into pools, tripping you, climbing on your head, dragging you up on top of a tree or something, than purely aggressive then they'd be more of an entertaining nuisance than the absolute terror they are now. They do drive me insane whenever they end up making all the lucky shots and tearing off a limb or punching me in the face the first round.

I'd love to see variations like this.

I remember there was a bug where bogeyman kills turned into wildlife kills. That could be reintroduced as a feature; some "bogeymen" would just be your eyes playing tricks on you.

edit: Oh, oh! But something I really wanted to say: you can sneak when you first hear the cackling, at least if your speed is high enough. Then just make small movements to keep bogeymen out of your visual range without going far enough for them to teleport to you. Wait in place until morning, and the bogeys shouldn't ever see you even if you have no ambusher skill.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:19:58 pm by Deadly Lamarr »
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 04:34:22 am »

Pffft, my epic Aspid Dwarf has no problems with these pansies.
I just wear a decent quality metal helmet so they can't tear my brain with a lucky headpunch, then I proceed with biting every single of the bastards. They get venom in their blood, and after a few moments they all are lying on the ground, suffocating to death.
Or I just get an axe and chop their heads off.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:32 am »

I kept on getting gang-molested by these guys. In the end, I just modded them mostly out..
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 09:49:49 pm »

I kept on getting gang-molested by these guys. In the end, I just modded them mostly out..
How?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 01:47:35 am »

Set the night creatures amount to 0.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3]