Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bogeymen: The Clowns of Adventure Mode  (Read 8820 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Bogeymen: The Clowns of Adventure Mode
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »

I recently had a demigod human thrower/spearman. He killed a bandit camp all on his own. He decided to head to the capital, a "day's journey" to the south.

He was killed by bogeymen. No fight, just a little attempt at a fight before he broke into a run.
W.T.F.

A.) Why are bogeymen so insanely overpowered?
B.) How do you deal with them? Sleep in the day or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen: The Clowns of Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »

Grab a friend from a nearby hamlet before going out on an adventure. Having a companion, even if it's only a random peasant, will ward off the bogeys.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:42:59 pm »

Grab a friend from a nearby hamlet before going out on an adventure. Having a companion, even if it's only a random peasant, will ward off the bogeys.
Why do peasants never seem to want to join me? And how do you find old adventurers?

EDIT: Random note...You can be ambushed by bogeymen literally one step outside of a building. They go away if you step inside, which makes it hard to get bogeys to kill the local gnomes.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:48:09 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:01 pm »

There's this story from Northumbrian folklore.

“Oh-o!”  chuckled the adventurer,  “they think I have fallen in and drowned myself, do they?  But as he turned back he thought he would make just one more attempt.  So again he shouted, “Tint!  Tint!”  This time three of the dwarfs appeared and began to chase him with lighted torches, and he turned and ran for dear life.  Not far, however.  For he soon saw that he was hemmed in on all sides by the repulsive little creatures, each carrying a lighted torch in one hand and a club in the other.  They came nearer and nearer to him, waving their clubs as though they meant to attack in force.  The only thing to do was to attack first.  He charged at them with his heavy staff, and apparently knocked one down - though he did not feel as though he had touched anything solid.  They all vanished, though, and he had a moment’s breathing space.

But it was not for long.  The next moment they were back again with reinforcements, crowds upon crowds of hideous, menacing faces and murderous-looking clubs, till the sheer horror of the situation overcame him, and he sank senseless to the ground.

There he remained until the morning light had chased the demons back to their dens.  And then, at last, he was able to make his way home unmolested.

Bogeymen in DF are like these, a reason you shouldn't travel alone at night, except that in DF, they're everywhere and they do more than scare you.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:07:34 pm »

^He's right: they're almost impossible to beat unless you're a dwarf in a martial trance, and their real purpose is to make all these hamlets spread around the map useful.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:10:49 pm »

^He's right: they're almost impossible to beat unless you're a dwarf in a martial trance, and their real purpose is to make all these hamlets spread around the map useful.
And random animal attacks don't do that? I lost an adventurer once when THREE alligators attacked him at once.
Sig

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:28:09 am »

Hmmm...I had terrible problems while first starting out. However, I seem to deal with bogeymen easy nowadays. If anybody asked I have Fortress Defense Mod, but it doesn't edit anything along these lines I believe.

Anyhoo, I was always slaughtered if I slept at night, so now while traveling I always do small sleeping bits during the day or right before night hits. Then I travel through the night until I encounter some.

During the fight I used to run around and throw bolts and arrows at them until they slowed down enough I could slash them apart. However I can do it by just taking them one on one and hacking them apart with my bronze scimitar now. Bogeymen aren't so scary to me when they bleed out trying to chase me down =)

I'd say as long as you have at least proficient in defense skills and high agility you shouldn't have too many problems as long as you engage them individually. Just me though.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:42:13 am »

For me, if I get caught in the open and attacked, I charge them. 95% of the time you'll miss the charge attack, but you'll knock them down, which will make them easier to hit. Bogeymen bleed to death in seconds and dismember easily, they're really quite weak besides their ability to dodge, so undermining their agility will greatly improve your odds of survival. Run, charge, knock them down, take a swing and then start running again.

Oh and don't trying and strangle them unconscious, because they don't breathe.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:54:34 am »

Pff... Just be a great axeman and dodger and you may be able to fend them off (strong and agile too)
Desu

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:19 am »

And random animal attacks don't do that? I lost an adventurer once when THREE alligators attacked him at once.

No, they don't. Alligators are about the only ambushing animal a hero or greater level adventurer needs to fear, attacks don't come that often, and hamlets don't protect you from them.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:44 am »

No, they don't. Alligators are about the only ambushing animal a hero or greater level adventurer needs to fear, attacks don't come that often, and hamlets don't protect you from them.

Yeah once I saw them pop from the river into the hamlet i was wondering around
Desu

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »

I was playing Genesis mod just recently and i was ambushed by bogeymen when i was just about to enter a fortress. i thought that let the guards deal with them as im busy right now.
there were about 5 or 6 armed orcs trying to kill 3 bogeymen and i think only 1 of the battling orcs survived. though some could have died when i hurled fireballs like a maniac there :P
but anyway, 6 armed orcs got their asses kicked by 3 bogeymen.

I think i was more of an annoyance to that fortress than help even though i helped them quite alot too. I recruited more than 10 of their orcs, who got slaughtered by Balor, lured bogeymen inside the castle, and then recruited 15 more orcs and headed to kill a frost wyrm

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:07:34 pm »

For me, if I get caught in the open and attacked, I charge them. 95% of the time you'll miss the charge attack, but you'll knock them down, which will make them easier to hit. Bogeymen bleed to death in seconds and dismember easily, they're really quite weak besides their ability to dodge, so undermining their agility will greatly improve your odds of survival. Run, charge, knock them down, take a swing and then start running again.
See, this is udeful advice. Problem: Don't bogeys infinity respawn?

Oh and don't trying and strangle them unconscious, because they don't breathe.
...Oh.
Sig

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 03:19:45 pm »

I had a house of badass peasants. I was ambling around a house to train skills, bogeymen struck, one of the peasants saw them, woke the rest up, and killed the whole lot. Only the trapper was asleep, and nobody died, though one was pretty badly mauled. knives ftw.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 03:21:30 pm »

^They only "respawn" in that defeating one ambush of them (which I think is usually 3-6) will only prevent another one until the next night. They can teleport if you try to run away.
Pages: [1] 2 3