Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Why 40d?  (Read 5720 times)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why 40d?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 10:50:39 pm »

Ah yes I always forget you can switch to the 40d version of articles, thanks  :)
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:06 pm »

I know it is a vauge question. I have been playing on and off for a few months now, always the newest update. I always see people comment on thing in the new update and say they will still stick with 40d. My question is why. What are the major diffrences?

When i learned to play it was with this guide http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/ This is 40d right? or is it some set between 40d and .18 we have now?

The version number for "40d" was 0.28.181.40d
It was the last of the 0.28.xx versions. The next updates were 0.31.xx.

The current version is 0.31.18

The very old 2D dwarf fortress was 0.23.130.23a

The wiki http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page has a selector on many pages that allows you to view the 40d versions of many pages.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 08:02:54 am »

40d. I could never go back now that I've gotten used to the new features. I love the new military, I love caverns, I love healthcare, I love elevating my own nobles, and I love the magma sea, but god damn is this game slow. We're back to where we were before the OpenGL fixes, and I can't stand it.
This is to make me recognizable.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 08:35:57 am »

Essentially two major things, that I've noted at least.  I haven't played 40d, but I've been hearing about it.  The big differences are

1) Everything kills you.  Always.  Elephants in 40d would massacre whole civilizations, dragons would eat elephants as snacks, and carp would kill dragons on accident!  You think skeletal giant tigers are tough now, go fight a 40d goat.

2) Economy was in place.  Economy is much like capitalist economy, once you get a manager and a bookkeeper, economy is activated, where dwarves get paid according to their work, and they use that payment to rent their living space and other such.  You had to mint coins for them, so you could control the economy much like the government simply by minting more coins, and different jobs get different payments.  A legendary armorsmith could make a suit of armor and rent the best room in the fort for a year, or a plant processor could make some thread and he wouldn't have to sleep on the ground.

Neither of these are true. Elephants and carp used to be overpowered in way older versions, but were toned down. There's nothing that especially tough in 40d from what I can remember.

As for the economy, it was completely broken; that's why Toady just took it out. You didn't have to mint coins, and nobody did since as soon as you did, dwarves would spend all their time hauling individual coins from place to place. Otherwise the system worked on credit, but given the level of chronic unemployment in any fort, and how messed up the "prices" were, most dwarves couldn't afford a room (even though it was never clear who they were paying for their room) and would be thrown out (even though nobody threw them out, they just stopped sleeping in their old room). And nobles would CONSTANTLY "change the prices of goods" and spam you with messages about it. Basically, a few small fragments of an economy were implemented in a really half-assed way, and since Toady isn't developing that part of the game right now and nobody played with it on anyway, he just took it out for the time being.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 05:24:06 pm »

Two questions, is it possible to change the key bindings or something, because the back button for 40d is the spacebar so it unpauses the game every time I back out of a menu, which is kind of annoying. But more importantly question number 2 how do I get to the combat logs, if there even are any?  :o
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

Two questions, is it possible to change the key bindings or something, because the back button for 40d is the spacebar so it unpauses the game every time I back out of a menu, which is kind of annoying. But more importantly question number 2 how do I get to the combat logs, if there even are any?  :o
It is possible to change the key bindings. You go to the main menu (with ESC), go to the option that says Key Bindings, and then change the key bindings.

There are no combat logs available in 40d in fortress mode. That's a feature that wasn't implemented until 31.01.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 10:52:37 am »

Combat logs alone make for a far more entertaining game in my opinion =D
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »

To sum up. 40D was more FUN.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 04:51:48 pm »

The one and only thing I miss from 40d was the speed of the game.

However, I recently started a 3x4, 60z-level (total!) embark in the new version.  60 dwarves, 100 fps.  Haven't breached any caverns or started pumping magma though, so we'll see how long that lasts. (Magma cannons are a must - it's named Flameshot!)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 06:43:36 pm »

One reason that hasn't been mentioned yet is that 40d works on the basic Windows XP. So does 31.03, but that one's pretty buggy. I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a while because the newest version just won't work.
(Please don't tell me to update Windows XP. It doesn't work. I need to reinstall Windows ASAP. The point still stands.)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 08:25:27 pm »

The 40d military gave you far more bang for far less buck, whereas for the current military you'll spend half an hour organizing them only to see them slaughtered by the first ambush that comes your way. Meanwhile economy, Dungeon Master and nobles all worked properly in 40d (though I'm not sure the economy can be said to have 'worked').

On the other hand, the current version has healthcare, caverns, FBs, guaranteed candy and HFS, and far more z-levels to play with. I'd say go with the new version.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:30 pm »

One reason that hasn't been mentioned yet is that 40d works on the basic Windows XP. So does 31.03, but that one's pretty buggy. I haven't played Dwarf Fortress in a while because the newest version just won't work.

This may be a problem specific to your computer - I haven't tried 0.31.18 in xp yet, but I got 0.31.16 to work on a little netbook that hasn't had XP updated since at least 2008.  My fort had an FPS death after the first wave of migrants, but that was just because the processor was like less than 1 ghz.

Egon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 08:50:15 pm »

The 40d military gave you far more bang for far less buck, whereas for the current military you'll spend half an hour organizing them only to see them slaughtered by the first ambush that comes your way. Meanwhile economy, Dungeon Master and nobles all worked properly in 40d (though I'm not sure the economy can be said to have 'worked').

On the other hand, the current version has healthcare, caverns, FBs, guaranteed candy and HFS, and far more z-levels to play with. I'd say go with the new version.

On bolded

That's my problem with the new version. If the traps don't kill incoming goblins, I'm shamboned- I had an entire 30 dwarf military completely obliterated by 1 (one) Goblin spearmaster.

For me, fun is watching my military kill anything that dares attack my fortress, not watch one goblin kill 90+ dwarves, 30+ wardogs, a grizzly bear, and anything else on the map.

40d is a lot more simplistic, but the military is a lot easier to work with where it counts and (despite them seeing 'training' as mortal kombat) not as prone to dying in droves.

plus there's a nice lack of bugs. other than the cats.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »

You could use danger rooms, y'know.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 11:35:28 pm »

I am still playing my 40d fortress.  It is over 200 dwarves, full size map (16x16) and FPS is pretty steady at 12.  When there's ambushes on the map it drops to 9.  It's positively fast compared to what 31 puts me through for much smaller maps.  I have a nicely varied terrain in all that space - the fort is just an area at the center of the map, the rest of it is what I think of as my own little kingdom - the hinterland, the countryside nearby.  Means I get to actually set things up like expeditions into the woods or nearby mountains to do things like hunt or clear-cut for some wood or strip mine some mineral veins before then having the expedition return to the city.  Can't do that in 31 because you just can't take such a large area.  As for underground stuff, my map has an underground river that is filled to the brim with cave crocodiles (breeding on their own for ages) and a chasm that was completely covered over by the mountain (not open to the sky) which is full of giant bats and giant cave swallows (I was lucky and had a breeding pair of the swallows get genned in there - normally I only see one at a time).  That gives me plenty of stuff to do underground.

My military _is_ overpowered but all things considered I prefer that to the utter idiocy of the 31 military.  What particularly made me snap about 31 was when I moved a dwarf who had all the ideal equipment for his skills from one squad to another, whereupon he dropped everything and went around picking up half-assed crap, because the way equipment works, it gets assigned to and owned by squads, not individual dwarves.  It's also why woodcutters and miners can't get activated into the military and then deactivated and keep using their axe or pick for the various tasks the whole way through.

I admire Toady's creation as much as anyone on these boards, but that is just a totally fucking moronic way to implement it, and I'm not putting any more time into the 31 military until that gets fixed. 

Also, for all the health care changes - I just DON'T CARE.  A hit point system, and having them lie in bed for a couple years and maybe recover, is good enough.  Surgery and bone-setting and crutches and splints and all the rest of it is just irrelevant to me.

Actually the one 31 game that I am playing is one where I found a "real" island - surrounded on all sides by water, all within the same tile (it's 6x6 embark I think) - so no immigrants.  I'm playing it as shipwrecked dwarves, they've built a wooden stockade in the center of the (jungled, gorilla-inhabited) island (there's an aquifer, so digging down very far isn't easy) and I'm just letting things go and see the years pass.  But if I want to play a real game, with sieges and cities and so on, 40d is the way to go.

(Actually, once I finally reach a stopping point with my earlier mentioned fortress, I have another 40d embark site I really want to try - a lonely ridge in the middle of a perfectly flat Haunted desert, and a dwarf civ that has lost all its cities but the king is still alive and reasonably young, and the goblin civ that did them in still has its demon leader.  I have visions of turning that mountain into a ballista-bristling fortress of doom where the dwarves make their final stand, the king returns, and a final cataclysmic battle against the demon lord occurs.  I generated a lot of 31 worlds to try to find a similar setup but no dice.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:38:29 pm by Rollory »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5