Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Why 40d?  (Read 5699 times)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Why 40d?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:16 am »

I'm finally getting myself into 31.xx, but boy is the military a pain. In 40d you could get your first squad up, armed, and training in a few seconds. I eventually figured out how to do the same for my 31.18 dwarves, but it's unnecessarily complex and thus is more micromanagement to me than fun.

I like having kill orders and stuff (and I well may learn to love this setup someday?) but it has to be my biggest beef with the new version so far.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 08:38:12 am »

I actually quite like the healthcare system - it's always really satisfying to see it up and working properly. I just wish Toady would do something about nerves, because once a dwarf's nerves are cut his skull might as well have been jammed through his brain.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 08:53:16 am »

Can't you change the raws so that nerves can heal?
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 10:54:52 am »

That would only make nerves that are bruised or anything heal, but since nerves taking cut damage either are severed (=won't heal even with healing rate added to nerve tissue) or fine, it doesn't do much. You can remove the has_nerves tag from dwarfs tho, that will stop nerve damage problems, supposedly without side effects.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 11:17:06 am »

There's another thing: 40d farms needed no irrigation. Huge advantage if you're still a newbie.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2011, 12:23:38 pm »

The one nice thing about new irrigation is that I can use the embark anywhere utility and still be able to farm in the mountains.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 01:18:09 pm »

Also has Visual fortress, so you can get a good look at how you're fortress really looks
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »

I actually quite like the healthcare system - it's always really satisfying to see it up and working properly. I just wish Toady would do something about nerves, because once a dwarf's nerves are cut his skull might as well have been jammed through his brain.

I like the nerve damage. I just wish crutches worked.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:30 pm »

I think the only thing two things that were better for me in 40d was the military system (Since marksdwarves actually trained!) and the site finder having things like chasms and what not. The healthcare system has annoying bugs but keep in mind dwarf fortress is set in medieval times, medical science is not going to be very advanced, heck I'm actually suprised some things like surgery and what not made it in. Then again you could say that dwarfs don't have anything to say that you're injured because gods punishing you, so for all we know every one in a hundred dwarves is House.
Blargh.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2011, 01:42:30 pm »

I stuck with 40d because I prefer the Military, pure and simple. Every new version that's come out has had that clusterfuck of a military screen, and I just can't be bothered to figure it out. Also Miners are frequently my main defence against marauding animals, and I need some easy way to get them to stand their ground and kill the damn fox.

Things I wish 40d had from the new versions are the caverns, the healthcare and the vaguely useful migrants.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2011, 02:07:48 pm »

The military screen is insane on first glance, but once you take the time to read what it all does, it becomes very, very simple to use.

I love the vast amount of options it affords me, and yes, I do get a bit annoyed at the lack of actual control over the dwarfs (miners using picks, woodcutters using their axes, etc).

I also love the healthcare system, and the toned down military... I like having to seal myself off from those first few ambushes and sieges, it's quite realistic (to me anyway).

I've also had no game-crashing or game-ending bugs to deal with. Implementing the 'no blood tracking' in the newest version was just in time for me.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2011, 02:20:39 pm »

I've also had no game-crashing or game-ending bugs to deal with. Implementing the 'no blood tracking' in the newest version was just in time for me.
I played 31.01 and couldn't hack it (and its incredible slowness), and I was kind of burned out on DF so I stopped playing altogether. I came back when 31.18 was out and there was more information available on the wiki, and having that clean break made it easier to relearn the game in the same way I'd learned it the first time round.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »

I've also had no game-crashing or game-ending bugs to deal with.

Me either. Plenty of annoying bugs, and the game routinely crashes while cleaning items after a save, but nothing that prevents me from playing. I had crashes all the time back in 40d. I still use seasonal autosave, but so far I haven't had an occasion to need it (knock on wood elves).
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »

40d is more simple. That's all. The military is more simple, the underground is more simple, the healthcare is more simple, farming is more simple. Nobles and economy aren't, but it was'nt too important (you can deal with nobles and just don't mint coints).

You like it or you don't.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 06:20:53 am »

I like having kill orders and stuff (and I well may learn to love this setup someday?) but it has to be my biggest beef with the new version so far.

You can't live without it when you get used to the options it avails you. I found this out trying 40d after getting used to the current system. In short, the micromanaging in the current system is only at the beginning when everything is being set up, the automation built into the system allows for a very hands free military taking care of itself.

In any case, it seems more often than not that people are complaining that the game got harder rather than any significant change in how the game plays out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5