Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Why 40d?  (Read 5700 times)

Satlan_Leng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why 40d?
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:15:53 pm »

I know it is a vauge question. I have been playing on and off for a few months now, always the newest update. I always see people comment on thing in the new update and say they will still stick with 40d. My question is why. What are the major diffrences?

When i learned to play it was with this guide http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/ This is 40d right? or is it some set between 40d and .18 we have now?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Why 40d?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »

1) Stability. 40d is nearly bug-free.

2) Much easier (and basically ridiculously overpowered) military.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »

3) PERFORMANCE.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:05 pm »

Essentially two major things, that I've noted at least.  I haven't played 40d, but I've been hearing about it.  The big differences are

1) Everything kills you.  Always.  Elephants in 40d would massacre whole civilizations, dragons would eat elephants as snacks, and carp would kill dragons on accident!  You think skeletal giant tigers are tough now, go fight a 40d goat.

2) Economy was in place.  Economy is much like capitalist economy, once you get a manager and a bookkeeper, economy is activated, where dwarves get paid according to their work, and they use that payment to rent their living space and other such.  You had to mint coins for them, so you could control the economy much like the government simply by minting more coins, and different jobs get different payments.  A legendary armorsmith could make a suit of armor and rent the best room in the fort for a year, or a plant processor could make some thread and he wouldn't have to sleep on the ground.

also
3) Mermaid bone farms.  Epic.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »

Yes, that guide was written for the old 40d version.

The biggest differences between 40d and the most recent versions are:
- Totally redone military and injury systems.
- 2010 versions have burrows and underground caverns.
- 40d limited the number of Z-levels below the lowest surface tile on the map to 15, while the 2010 updates can have upwards of a hundred.
- 40d had very few underground features (underground pools and rivers of magma or water, and cotton candy- no caverns to speak of.)
- 2010 versions have a CRAPTON of bugs. 40d had bugs, but they were of the annoying variety, not the game destroyers that the 2010 versions throw at you.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:25:39 pm by Particleman »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »

But most, if not all of the game breaking bugs have been fixed.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »

- 40d had very few underground features (underground pools and rivers of magma or water, and cotton candy- no caverns to speak of.)

Chasms and bottomless pits.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »

The primary complaint people have with old forts (and, indeed, new ones) is related to low frames per second. Simply put, when the game runs too slowly, it really isn't fun anymore. Some people find that 40d runs significantly faster than the newer versions, even discounting the change in the size of any given map, so they find their forts remain fun longer on 40d than in 31.x. Given that creatures were increased in complexity as well (so, presumably, each individual dwarf causes more FPS drop due to tracking body parts) it isn't really surprising.

There's also the matter of increased complexity. Many people find the military and alerts system in 31.x to be hopelessly complicated, and either cannot or will not learn how to use it. Military was vastly simpler in 40d (and far more powerful, as mentioned). Health care was made more complicated as well, which is an additional worry for many people.

Also, in 40d, the megabeasts were both less common and less powerful. It's uncommon, but not unheard of, for a single Forgotten Beast to wipe out an entire fort with a deadly syndrome, but in 40d they didn't actually exist, and dragons, hydras, bronze colossi, and... I want to say there was another form of megabeast, but I'm blanking on it... Anyway, megabeasts were about equal to a reasonably-competent, decently-equipped dwarf in a one-on-one fight. Now, a reasonably-competent, decently-equipped dwarf is likely to die against a megabeast (they're more powerful in combat), but even a legendary hero with fantastic equipment might do a mutual kill against a Forgotten Beast with deadly dust or other deadly syndromes.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »

-The military was very, very basic to the point where assigning the proper equipment was a serious pain.

-More stable.

-Basic healing system.

-Titans were basically an organic BC.

-HFS wasn't present on all maps.

-Much faster on weaker systems.

-Economy, immigrant nobles and clothing swaps worked correctly.

-Less creatures.

-No caverns.

-Skeletons and zombies were nearly impossible to kill.

-Adventure Mode was even less complete.

-No Syndromes (effects still existed, like the GCS bite and such)

-Traders brought wagons.

-You could fight off whole sieges with 10-20 legendary wrestlers.

-Sparring was lethal.

-Ranged weapons were auto-loading chaingun/railguns that fired spears.

-Anatomy was extremely basic.

-Other crap.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 09:45:55 pm »

-Economy . . . worked correctly.
Hah! Ha ha ha! Haa...
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »

Hah! Ha ha ha! Haa...
Well, it did.

Not in any useful manner. And Armok help you if you mint coins and don't lock them up.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:00 pm »

Hah! Ha ha ha! Haa...
Well, it did.

Not in any useful manner. And Armok help you if you mint coins and don't lock them up.
I might be a dwarf, but do you think I'm crazy? I will let somebody mint coins in my 40d fortresses over my dead body.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:29:00 pm »

Does anyone know where I might get a graphics pack for 40d, or will I finally have to figure out how to decipher the original tileset?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:45:31 pm »

Try here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5