Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reasonable Mayor?  (Read 1463 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reasonable Mayor?
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:42:49 pm »

Currently on my longest running fortress and the second time I have ever gotten a mayor...

He has off and on mandates, All of whitch an a ban on a export

What is tihs you ask?, A certain stone perhaps?... No... He demands I don't export Lay Pewter items...

I have yet to make a Lay Pewter item... I hope he stays in office forever :D

So, Anyone else even had a reasonable mayor?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Re: Reasonable Mayor?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:49:26 pm »

All the time. I've never found it a terribly big problem- I have an empty prison, but it is a very nice one. Although there is a current request for a "salmon tooth item", that may not be meet-able.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:55:27 pm »

I thought I had, so I got him into nobility (count, baron, ya know). He loved lay pewter, slabs, and gauntlets.

Then he demanded for a lay pewter slab in his office. BEST WAY for him to be unhappy. At least it doesn't give criminal status to anyone.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:39 pm »

My current mayor is alright. He demanded fine pewter items but I don't think anyone will be too fussed about jail time. They're nice cages.

Last one though, god. She demanded green glass items, right? This was great, because I was making raw green glass to train my glassmaker, and was having the gems embedded into all the craft goods / non-metal goblin loot to both train my gem setter and raise their value for selling.

Next mandate? Ban on green glass exports.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:14:39 pm »

Don't export bans only apply to the base material? If so, you can still stud things with green glass gems and export those.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:16:37 pm »

Mayors tend to not be a problem since they don't get Pretensions.

Although it is a little-known fact that you can now *replace* a mayor from the noble screen.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:15 pm »

I recently had a mayor who loved Pig Tail Thread and Bags.  He demanded a Pig Tail Bag in his office.  Easiest demand ever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »

I've had a mayor who liked iron. He got his chests, cabinet, weapon rack and armor stand made of iron. That fulfilled his iron items mandates. Also conforming to his mandate, we never exported a single item made of iron.

Then a tantrum spiral from a goblin ambush happened and everything went to hell (not really) so he died and was buried in a quite large tomb, but still.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:50 pm »

I ignore my mayors.  They get replaced after a year or two anyways.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51:23 pm »

I ignore my mayors.  They get replaced after a year or two anyways.
Not if you plan for them. The only dwarf I care about upon embark is the one I give social and noble skills to and he or she stays in power indefinitely. All of my mayors are reasonable mayors!

I had one who liked doors and cats, another who liked rose gold and statues, and also one who like gold and armor stands. My favorite one was the guy who liked steel and battle axes because I equip my soldiers with steel battle axes. Super easy.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:50:33 pm »

My last mayor kept demanding Pig Iron items which is all well and good... save you can't seem to make amything WITH pig iron and it didn't count when I studded stuff with them.  He met my death lever.

Current mayor rocks though.  He likes silver, I got over 100 bars, bans export of billon (onoes!) constantly, and demands me to make silver things (yay goblets).  I think this mayor has a nice, long life in my fort.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 10:56:38 pm »

I had a long-term mayor on a 5 year long fort, who liked adamantite, slade, large gems and ballista arrows. 

In all that time, all she asked for were ballista arrows, and an occasional ban on exporting large gems.

Compared with what it could have been...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:07:11 pm »

My last mayor kept demanding Pig Iron items which is all well and good... save you can't seem to make amything WITH pig iron and it didn't count when I studded stuff with them.  He met my death lever.

Current mayor rocks though.  He likes silver, I got over 100 bars, bans export of billon (onoes!) constantly, and demands me to make silver things (yay goblets).  I think this mayor has a nice, long life in my fort.
Doesn't items include bars? I've fulfilled that in the past while making steel.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 02:28:10 am »

Used to have a Count who loved bronze, bucklers and barrels. From the starting seven too. I was almost swimming in cassiterite and tetrahedrite... Was the only dwarf killed in the first siege.

Now in the same fort, which I'm still playing, I've had the same mayor now 8 years. All he demands is billon items and an occasional bin. I hope he stays in the office...

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 02:31:20 am »

Doesn't items include bars? I've fulfilled that in the past while making steel.

Well at the time of his inauguration I didn't have the means of making pig iron bars and could only buy them to attempt to appease him.  Then he got my favorite engraver killed... so I had him pull the death lever.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: [1] 2