Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Salvation Prophecy [SciFi Shooter/RPG/Space Hybrid]  (Read 2579 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salvation Prophecy [SciFi Shooter/RPG/Space Hybrid]
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 02:03:39 am »

I played the demo for an hour, and wanted to give my feedback. I played the demo as a human of the Free Nations.

Character creation - I found it odd that I could choose a face but not a name, until I found that the voice acting includes

Graphics - really well done, far beyond what I expect from an indie project. Yes, professional games are flashier, but the quality was good and I had no complaints besides what my video card was doing.

Audio - good enough, I liked the voice acting, which was reasonably well done. There was a bit of disconnect between what the trainer would say "You want a piece of me, tough guy?" and what was written, which was far more friendly. The training AI made me grin several times.

Characters - really don't exist outside of the training people in the demo. As I said, I liked the training AI, and the options between nice/mean/snarky were great. However, once done with the training, the demo consists of get mission, kill enemies, upgrade gear, repeat.

Ground - Fun enough, though early battles consist of 'two masses of troops rush together. Most stand at range and shoot, some pull out blades and get in close'. More variety of enemies would have been good, as would have been more importance of cover. As it was, fighting against the Drones and the Salvation, it was simply easiest and fastest to berserker charge their lines and cut them to pieces with a left-right-left-right combo. I found it odd that I could keep up with a Salvation running directly away from me - I feel that she should have been able to outpace me, since the Salvation are supposed to be the agile, fragile enemies. I also feel that I shouldn't have been able to go toe to toe with Drones in melee and win as easily as I did.

I would have loved to have ground combat with vehicles and air support, particularly if vehicles would require specific anti-tank weapons. The fact that everything is destroyable with the primary weapon gives little incentive to buy and use the grenade launcher (which acts like a missile launcher.)

I see from the features that eventually enemy defenses will include fliers and vehicles, but that the invasion force will consist of 20 troops. This will increase the difficulty, but I would have preferred the option of having allied air and armor support.

Space - Also fairly fun, but I found traveling through jump space or the wormhole more fun then fighting. Fighting felt boring since everyone has the same rough profile in the demo and fires the same weapons. The Drone fighters I engaged were more resilient then their ground counterparts, which added slightly to the challenge. Once again, the website says that the enemy forces will eventally have capital ships (battleships), but I would prefer to have (and command) a variety of capital ships from frigates to battleships, on both sides of the battlefield.

Upgrading: There's no real options. You get a better version of the same weapons, and everyone uses roughly the same weapons. Also, the tutorial does not cover skill points - basically your talent tree. It's a 4x4 set of options covering defense (health, armor, health regen), offense (damage increases, making shooting better for Free Nations. Since blades are simply better, I didn't feel bothered to go down that tree at all), more stim options or the ability to hold more stims in general.

----

Despite the list of complaints, they all felt fairly minor. I was enjoying the game, though I did question how long I would do so, since there seemed to be no plot in the beginning. Maybe that picks up in the full game? For the price, I would have had fun.

Sadly, I won't be buying the game for one reason - my video card is slowly dying, and any 3D game starts to suffer texture corruption. I'll definitely be looking into Salvation Prophecy when I finally replace the faulty hardware.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:07 am »

I note you didn't face the Wyr in ground combat.  They certainly provide a different (by which I mean generally harder) experience as enemies due to their turrets and duplication ability.

Also, if you think it's weird keeping up with the Salvation as Humans, it's downright insane being able to keep up with the Salvation as a Drone soldier.  But it sure is fun to rip them apart with my claws!

I sort of hated the Marine dialog and voice acting.  The Drone "we destroy everything" and "we're machines" dialog is far better.  Wyr is just absurdly hilarious.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 11:04:30 am »

Bought this as part of the Groupees build a greenlight bundle (1 day 16 hours left on it right now).

Seems fun. Only played a few hours so far, but it has been entertaining. Being able to fly around and do my own thing in addition to doing missions is a nice touch. I definitely get the feel of being one soldier in an army though - trying to take on a space station or planet all by myself is rather suicidal if I don't go in with allies. I think I'm still pretty early in the plot, visited two of the unstable wormholes.

Only thing that has bothered me so far is it seems my side sucks, haha. Playing humans, and we just keep losing on the defensive everywhere. At one point I went on a planetary invasion mission and before it was done my side had lost a colony and a space station (the same station I had launched the mission from, hah). Down to a single colony and space station now, and not on the same planet. I keep doing missions and wiping out enemy places, but my side rarely builds new colonies or stations before one of the enemy builds there and the last time we did build a colony it was taken out during my next mission. And it's kinda silly that my side keeps launching attacks on the other systems instead of trying to retake the planet under our station or the station over our single planet. Maybe when I get to be the top rank I can turn things around, will have to see how that works. It might be that we have a resource shortage due to the lack of planets.

I've already defended this last station like 5 or 6 times. I'm getting used to seeing the "Station is under attack! All fighters must launch!" message after completing some other mission. Gaining more rank defending it than doing other missions. Seems all three other factions want to finish us off. It'll kinda suck if I get to top rank and realize my faction is doomed :D
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 [2]