Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How big is a tile?  (Read 1103 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
How big is a tile?
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:41:32 pm »

How wide and how long is a tile? Similarly, how high is a z-level?

This is a spot for guesses as well as calculations and "facts," but please note guesses as such in case there are some definitive facts somewhere.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How big is a tile?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:45:26 pm »

"Big Enough"

A puppy and a Titan take up 1 square, a wagon uses 3x3.  Based on this assumption, tiles must average ~20 feet wide and ~200 tall.  The speed at which creatures move is not very high, if you consider that it might take an entire day to drag one item to a stockpile.  Dwarves use stilts, aided by their bears, when building or constructing stairs that are above them.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

A tile is big enough that a thousand dragons can be in one tile, so long as 999 of them are lying down. A tile is small enough that in order for 2 housecats to pass each other in a single-tile tunnel, one must crawl on its belly. Clearly, a tile is between six inches and a mile wide, and between 2 feet and a thousand feet tall.

In addition, I seem to remember that someone calculated that, by weight, a single block is roughly the size of two ordinary real-world masonry bricks stacked atop one another. You can make a whole wall out of one block, or pave 3 full tiles of road, with a single block. Clearly, a tile is blocked off entirely by a, let's say, ~3x6x4 inch wall, and 3 tiles in a row are approximately 6x4 inches, so one tile is probably around 2 inches on a side.

Alternatively, you can just realize that tile size is completely inconsistent, given what dwarves do with them, and you should Really Just Relax about the whole "size" thing. It's relative to what's in it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:10:45 pm »

It's entirely quantum.  The size of the tile depends on what's currently inside it.  For nerds out there, it's like the sayan armor in DBZ (the original pre-cell stuff, the good stuff).  It grows to exactly accommodate whatever is within it, much like how an armor bin can contain 10 leather gloves or 10 breastplates exactly.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:24:13 pm »

I'd guesstimate a rectangular prism of about 1.5 x 1.5 x 3m, or 5 x 5 x 10 feet which would be enough to comfortably hold most creatures and items.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »

I'd guesstimate a rectangular prism of about 1.5 x 1.5 x 3m, or 5 x 5 x 10 feet which would be enough to comfortably hold most creatures and items.
This is what I'm looking for: A guesstimate that helps me visualize my fortress in real-world terms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:37:00 pm »

Going by the elven measure: Tall enough to house one tree, high enough to have the tree be grown tall enough to yield one log when cut. Small enough to not provide enough space for walking through to avoid trampling a sapling. Small enough to fit only one shrub.

Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 06:37:50 pm »

3m3.  Tiles are treated as cubes, and all sides are treated as equidistant from one another.  This is part of the basis of the Volume and Mass thread about the size of tiles, volumes of objects, densities of materials, and masses of these objects derived from the last two.

This also means that the smallest rooms of just one bed are 10' x 10' wide, which probably explains why dwarves are happy with them, even if it's the smallest possible unit you can give.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 06:40:33 pm »

I always figured a z-level was a story high.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:04 pm »

10 feet is about a story tall, but then again giants are supposed to be 15+, whales can be enormous, and titans are supposed to be, well, titans who are some 50 foot tall.

At the end, it's all imagery and representation, nothing is so exact, but if you want to compare it into real-world terms, then 10x10x10 sounds fair.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:35 pm »

Ok, water fills up to 7, suggesting 7 feet tall. This is backed up by the fact that dwarves start drowning around 4-5 deep. Since dwarves are tradtionally 4-5 feet tall, we can conclude that they must be 7 feet tall. I would say 2-3 feet wide, because a single dorf fills one, but two can push past each other if one 'lies down' meaning pushes up against the side.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »

Just for clarity, 10' [i[is[/i] the standard story height, with 8' of normal space, and 2' for a floor/ceiling and its support, over here in 'Merica.  3 meters is just slightly longer than that, but it's negligible enough that you can say "3 meters means about 10 feet".

edit:
Ok, water fills up to 7, suggesting 7 feet tall. This is backed up by the fact that dwarves start drowning around 4-5 deep. Since dwarves are tradtionally 4-5 feet tall, we can conclude that they must be 7 feet tall. I would say 2-3 feet wide, because a single dorf fills one, but two can push past each other if one 'lies down' meaning pushes up against the side.

This is a common thing brought up.  7 is used because there are eight values (0 is included), and that is what can be fit into 4 bits of data, for compression of map data to the smallest bit size possible.  It has absolutely nothing to do with exact distance, and remember, a dragon and a kitten treats 5 unit deep water in exactly the same way - as a blocked path.  Their size has no relevence to that.

Also, even in 2 to 3 feet of space, kittens have the same problem getting past one another, it's just a matter of the game deciding that only one unit can "dominate" a space, and everyone else must be set in some sort of state to allow that other unit to move through.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 06:57:58 pm »

Which still means nothing because the world is tiled, making the 'size' of a tile irrelevant. This whole well this animal and that animal stuff is just semantics. The tiles are roughly the space a single person would need to stand comfortably. Other animals just corrupt that because they are different. There is no objective 'size', and so no point arguing over it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:16 pm »

A tile is x*y*z. Can we leave it at the base formula.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 07:06:06 pm »

Which is why there is the Volume and Mass Thread, which works to consolidate everything into a more easily understood and concrete framework, which allows for kittens drowning in water depths that are ankle-deep for dragons.  Perhaps you should click the link and read a little?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2