Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Air Fortress?  (Read 1949 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Air Fortress?
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »

In theory, you can build some objects on wall tiles and then delete the wall to make the object float. What if you were to build a 2-level wall, delete the bottom one, and build an entire fortress on the floating walls?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Air Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:57:59 pm »

Unfortunately, the only objects which you can make float in the air this way are the objects which aren't able to support anything.  If you build a 2-layer wall and then remove the lower wall, the upper wall will instantly cave in.  You can make buildings like doors, floodgates, chains, bridges, and a few others float, but you can't build anything based off those.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:58:25 pm »

Well that's no fun...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »

Still, you can make a whole fortress on a single staircase made of ice or soap. That's close enough. Unless you can't build stairs out of soap. I know it works for walls, but who knows...

Or out of ash. Yes. Ash blocks, support your entire fortress on it, then put eight windmills around the ash staircase. If they're generating power, then... well...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 04:03:19 pm »

You could always just turn off Cave-ins in the init file.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »

You could always just turn off Cave-ins in the init file.

^this.  It's pretty easy to have things that permanently float like so.  And when you're done with the fort, turn it back on and suddenly the sky is falling.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:42:11 pm »

Make an ice fortress and then flood the map with magma.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:35 pm »

but you can always build a fortress on one support.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:53:59 pm »

I thought constructions didn't burn/melt, even if they were immersed in magma and made of wood or ice.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 09:03:29 pm »

I thought constructions didn't burn/melt, even if they were immersed in magma and made of wood or ice.
Dig it out

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:01 pm »

I think the top level of the sky still acts as a support if you really  want a floating fortress.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »

I think the top level of the sky still acts as a support if you really  want a floating fortress.

Somewhere right now, a physicist is crying.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »

no necessarily.
you could build something huge(but nearly weightless comparing to Earth, well that's hard), with its mass centre exactly at one of the Lagrange points, and its tip near earth surface. that's technically floating.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:06:39 pm by Lamphare »

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:40 pm »

no necessarily.
you could build something huge(but nearly weightless comparing to Earth, well that's hard), with its mass centre exactly at one of the Lagrange points, and its tip near earth surface. that's technically floating.
Featherwood would work

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »

yes featherwood would
but in real time physics, even featherwood is too heavy
unless we are only building a rod no more thicker than baseball bat
Pages: [1] 2