Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hoarding  (Read 3608 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hoarding
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 01:19:06 pm »

I had that problem, I got over it by running a fortress where all stone got atom smashed, or made into a tower.  Everything else was shiny metal!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 01:33:42 pm »

Does anyone else have this problem? And anyone have any idea how I can change my hoarder ways?

Yes, I experience this quite a lot in games. What has helped me is to clearly understand my needs for resources over the course of the game. For instance, in Dwarf Fortress, I only need two ten-man squads of military, so that's all the steel I'm ever going to require -- plus a little bit for if someone dies in an inaccessible spot.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 05:11:28 pm »

I'm quite the opposite actually, I try to use any and all metal I get, whether it be armour weapons or even furniture.
It might be why I fail so many mandates.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 05:37:29 pm »

I ask for max import of every metal every year so that I don't run out of the rare stuff (remember you can ask for nuggets too), but I am usually going through iron and copper faster than I can dig it up...
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »

I made my bedrooms/dining room inside a huge magnetite deposit  so i have tons of iron ore and my fort has a layer of limestone and marble.  These layers go limestone then marble so i have no shortage of flux and i have a shit ton of coal that i have yet to refine. Already capturing 16 troglodytes, a cave crocodile, a troll, a giant rat, and a giant toad at the expense of 6 dwarves and a critically injured dwarf should i make steel armor and weapons for my 10 dwarf army.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 09:43:21 pm »

Build a solid gold gold storage chamber. And then build a solid gold solid gold gold storage chamber containment unit over it.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »

I think I do the same thing in Sims 2 with money, stockpiling it in case... I don't know, my Sims get subpoenaed and suddenly have massive legal fees they need to pay for. No, you can't have that new couch, your lawyer takes in hourly more than you make in a week! Yhwh only knows what I will do if ever get to run an economy in a future version of DF. PRobably nationalize everything into stockpiles, on the off chance that, in the future, my starving citizens will need this food even more than they do now.

Poor Dwarves.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 11:54:05 pm »

You can apparently avoid economy by not having a manager and/or bookkeeper, but this was true in 40d, no telling how it will work in the overhaul.  Economy should be interesting though, since everyone needs to do something to make money.  I'll likely have a line of pumps doing nothing important, so that people will be doing -something- and thus be able to afford rent.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 09:27:53 am »

You can apparently avoid economy by not having a manager and/or bookkeeper,

Here's an even easier way of avoiding it: [ECONOMY:NO] in \data\init\d_init.txt. That is, unless you insist on doing everything ass-backwards.

EpeeGnome

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TLDR:APPALLING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:24 pm »

I tend to stock pile precious metals and gems in specially built vaults with iron doors, but only because this seems like the sort of thing that dwarfs should do.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 05:04:53 pm »

I tend to stock pile precious metals and gems in specially built vaults with iron doors, but only because this seems like the sort of thing that dwarfs should do.
That's what I used to do as well, but honestly in my new fort I cant even get close to catching up with what my miners have uncovered.  I think I've got literally 2000 (or is it 4000) uncut gems just lying where they fell, just from digging out my fort so far.  I'm baffled by people worried about shortages of anything when maps have so many z levels.  Even if I were to cut a fort knox type room (which I love doing) it would have to be so large that the whole fort might as well just be a fort knox...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 05:12:41 pm »

The problem with gems is that there are so many different types, and moody dwarves and nobles may require a specific gem type.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »

Spread them around your fort.  Have a lot of 2x2 stockpiles in the middle of the hallways that store a few metals, and tucked away in the corners of rooms.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 07:43:02 pm »

Spread them around your fort.  Have a lot of 2x2 stockpiles in the middle of the hallways that store a few metals, and tucked away in the corners of rooms.
This makes me want to try building a fort with no stockpile rooms. Clutter Fortress! Imagine all the stubbed toes!

" 'Ey Morül, wot stockpile did they put in yer room? "
" Tha booze, Dastot! I got all tha booze in me room! "
Dastot Envydrinks, Idler cancels Attend Party: Throwing tantrum
Morül Luckpossessed, Brewer has been struck down.

Erm, back on topic... I usually hoard any metal that I can't make into useful weapons and armour. Unless I have a ridiculous amount of something, I have trouble deciding what to use metal for. Should I make it into statues to boost happiness? Stud weapons and armour for the coolness factor? Sell it? Give it to dwarves I like as a reward? And if I do use it, will I eventually regret it? MAYBE I'LL NEED IT LATER!
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 07:46:07 pm »

Speaking of likes, anyone know of a good way to find the likes of a dwarf?  If I've got 50+ dwarves, I don't wanna look at all of them to find out who likes tin.  Any programs out there for this?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4