Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Hoarding  (Read 3607 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hoarding
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 04:37:57 pm »

Hey, a master elephant totem with good quality studdings...

What I'm saying here is that if you're already importing metal, i.e. you clearly want more of it, then using any amount of it for trade, let alone a shitload as you do now, is obscenely wasteful. Why not trade roasts, cloth or even rock mugs instead?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 04:46:35 pm »

Value, mostly.  Sure, I've got metric frak-tonnes of tin, but tin is pathetic.  I want gold and platinum!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 04:50:13 pm »

Your tin would probably still be more useful for making furniture than trinkets, because you're hardly going to get enough gold or platinum imported for that, but whatever works for you. What material furniture do you put in your dwarves' rooms, assuming you give them rooms at all?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »

Mostly native stone, flux if there's enough because it's better value, or obsidian if I can reach it.  Somtimes gold or silver if I have some spare and the dwarf is particularly emo, and sometimes random studding with glass and native gems.  Rooms have never been a big issue for me, once I found out that having no meeting area almost cancels out tantrum spirals.  Platinum tables and chairs, inside a 9x9 platinum plated dining room, overall encrusted with three different types of diamonds.  That's more what I go for.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 05:05:02 pm »

Well, tin (and equivalent metals like copper or lead) would definitely be better than native stone, though only equivalent to flux I'm afraid.

no meeting area
9x9 platinum plated dining room

I've never had much trouble with tantrums, let alone spirals of them, but I gotta try that some time. Should get more mileage out of the grand or royal 4x4 rooms I've made for them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:07:45 pm by assimilateur »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 05:11:29 pm »

I too confess to being a metal hog. If I have coal, lignite, or magma, then I will have many forges constantly smelting everything. Copper and lead I will typically mass produce into bins and barrels. Iron, bronze, and steel I mass produce into armor. A lot of silver goes into blunt weapons and trap components, but most of the silver, gold, and valuable alloys go into decorations. I'm very stingy with the rarest metals, and those I don't have on my map.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:43:42 pm by Lagslayer »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »

I should mod in an armor display that requires a head, chest, hands, legs, and feet type of armor for construction.  Like those displayed suits of armor in English castles.  With exceptional steel armor costing upwards of 3k each, even for a single glove, that could make some expensive rooms very quickly.
If you do this, I suggest making it need an armor stand, too. Still, awesome idea.

having no meeting area almost cancels out tantrum spirals.
Huh? I would've thought that having dwarves idle outside would cause more spirals.

Also, back on topic: I have the opposite problem of not forging metals unless I embark on a volcano. I guess I just don't like using wood to make charcoal.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:40 pm »

No, you need bedrooms.  If you have enough bedrooms, which are made into rooms but not assigned to anyone, then any dwarf without a room, will sleep there and claim it as theirs.  Using this, you don't have to manually assign any bedrooms.  Just dig and furnish a lot of rooms and then ignore it.  Dead dwarves loose their rooms, and new migrants claim the recently empty rooms.  Idle dwarves will loiter in their rooms instead of outside, so if you have sufficient bedrooms, then your idle dwarves will tuck away like sardines, packed in their neat little rooms.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »

I guess I just don't like using wood to make charcoal.

I used to have that problem, but with the abundance of trees underground in .31 this doesn't bother me anymore. Also, as far as I know, access to magma is basically guaranteed now so this whole point is moot.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:28 pm »

PErhaps I should be building bedrooms out of metal, to meet the demand of all these f#^&$*&$# babies they keep having. 222 dwarves, fifty one children. I hate it.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

If you hate it so much then you can always turn off breeding in d_init and use a lower population limit.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »

The next time I gen a new world, I plan on taking a new approach to metal and stone: Create a workshop that cheats them up at will, and then evaporate all of my rock supplies seasonally. Cheating, yes, but I suspect it will be quite liberating to never again feel the need to save 2500 chunks of marble just in case I find a use for them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:02 pm »

Should also be FPS saving.  Less items to track down.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 08:47:47 pm »

You may want to see a psychiatrist; I think that's a sign of psychosis.
Ha.
Ha ha.
Ha ha ha.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Excuse me.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 11:54:01 am »

You may want to see a psychiatrist; I think that's a sign of psychosis.
Ha.
Ha ha.
Ha ha ha.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Excuse me.

You may want to try working on your "Mwa Ha Ha's", there.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4