Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: dealing with tantrum spirals  (Read 1966 times)

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dealing with tantrum spirals
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:22:13 am »

3 Fortresses until now.

Every one of them was abandoned due to tantrum spiral.

How should I deal with this problem?

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dealing with tantrum spirals
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:29:35 am »

Keep your dwarfs busy.  You may also be able to use burrows to limit dmg I haven't started with burrows my self but if you separated your dwarfs into groups the spirals would only kill one group likely.

Also lock tantruming dwarfs in rooms until they die, the real problem is that they end up killing someone else causeing them tantrum etc.  If you can just kill the tantruming dwarfs its unlikely that every dwarf will follow suit and bring down your fort, although a large portion of dwarfs may still die.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:03 am »

pay more attention to your dorfs and see what make usually make them going insane.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:35:57 am »

A big dining room.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:06 am »

pay more attention to your dorfs and see what make usually make them going insane.

I know what is that. During ambushes and so on usually few Urist McIdiots run into goblins and get butchered. Sometimes it's happens even when a soldier die.
Now it's obvious that some casualties are inevitable.
But a casualty produce a inevitable tantrum spiral.

In this inevitable circle I always inevitably lose.

A big dining room.

I got a royal one. With gold tables.
They have more spaces to start fights.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:40:05 am by Hungry Elephant »

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:45:56 am »

You only have to survive for like 10 years. After that your soldiers should have experienced enough death to <don't care about anything any more>. That renders them immune to unhappy thoughts from dwarfs dying. My current fort went through a spiral once, everyone but the soldiers (and one civilian) died (120 of 140 dwarfs dead). They made coffins until migrants came and everything was fine again shortly after.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:46:03 am »

A big dining room.
Is an invitation to slaughter.  It doesn't keep me from building them though :)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

Other than basic happiness advice (nice rooms, nice statues, nice food etc) one thing I did in a previous fort is to forbid all dead bodies and death items. This prevents dwarves from running out everytime someone dies. It slows down the post-battle clean up and burials, but that's a fair tradeoff I think.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:39 am »

Ah, just for the records... In every ambush that I got, the goblins were leaded by a human leader. Is this normal?

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:26:53 am »

Ah, just for the records... In every ambush that I got, the goblins were leaded by a human leader. Is this normal?
Well, it doesn't seem of character...

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 10:56:43 am »

Make your meeting areas really big.  This might keep them from standing too close to eachother, and they won't become friends as quickly.
I think.  It seemed to work for me.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 03:26:22 pm »

Indoor waterfalls, lavish meals, masterwork beds,high quality bridges and doors to generate random happiness  and kitten/puppy execution towers that lead into your meeting place.  enough death of any type will make them "not care about anything".    A featherwood mace armed dabbling macedwarf for a sherrif and gold chains right between your well and your food stockpile issuing "justice" will also help  expecially if they're within the mist area of your waterfalls. Prompt burial when possible and cheesy traps to kill seiges before your military even sees an invader.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 03:56:46 pm »

Justice. Mod the hammerer in. If you can't, make a fortress guard and give them axes. Steel or better.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »

...  and kitten/puppy execution towers that lead into your meeting place.  enough death of any type will make them "not care about anything"....
Haha I like that Idea sooo much.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 04:45:50 pm »

I've noticed one huge thing.  Namely, that dwarves naturally make friends, and friends naturally die, leading to very natural tantrum spirals.  To combat that, you need your guys separated.  Namely, with bedrooms.  Build a dining hall, an amazing one at that, waterfall included, but don't designate it as a dining hall or meeting area.  If your dwarves have individual bedrooms, they'll stay in them when they're idle, and sit alone in their rooms until a job appears.  Having idle dwarves near each other seems to be the key to disaster, and this can be averted by making idle dwarves separate.  Just make a lot of bedrooms, like 1x1 rooms with a bed and a door, and designate the bed as a room, but don't assign it to anyone.  They'll naturally claim a bedroom when they sleep in it, so you never have to worry about who owns what bed.  Just spam out a bunch and they'll sort it out.  Then, they just huddle in their room and wait.  If someone in the fort dies, no one cares because no one is friends with anyone.

Alternatively, if you have a good dog population, you can train a lot of war dogs, and give every dwarf their own doggy!  This helps with animals, since the dog will kill or chase off those groundhogs that keep interrupting your woodcutter, and it also means that if that dwarf ever goes berserk or kills anyone, the dog will then kill that dwarf.  Assigning a war dog to a dwarf in a strange mood that you know you can't satisfy, is also an easy-fix for the eventual insanity.

The featherwood mace is also a good idea.  I think I'm gonna have to break down and change my raws though.  My sheriff-type people keep bashing in skulls, so I need dwarves with thicker skulls.
Pages: [1] 2 3