Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculous Genesis Luck  (Read 1068 times)

Zauren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ridiculous Genesis Luck
« on: February 01, 2011, 02:09:33 am »

Well, I decided to do a challenge game, and made the most relentless environment and world I could, with 6 things at war with me. My game plan was that 6 would be military, and the seventh would be a hermit, and forced to do every task alone for all 7 dwarves until immigrants arrived.

Although I started this without much in the way of expectations, when I embarked on my sandy hell I found I had a bunch of stone dwarves. Good, good. Then... I find a STEEL dwarf. Amazing! Strength and agil are off the charts, and toughness is maxed. The other 6 are stone, as well.

Well, I manage things well enough, butchuring the pair of muskox and managing to get by until summer. Then I get 2 immigrants. My initial thought is that hey, that's triple the amount of work done, I can start digging deeper and maybe give my military dwarves more then training weapons and no armor. Any ore would be nice!

...one of the two is flashing. It's a legendary Armorsmith.

Has the grace of the dwarven gods embraced my mission of high challenge? I've never got a Steel on embark before OR a legendary armorsmith migrant, let alone one of two in a wave. I shall triumph! Anyone else get some good RNG from this mod?

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous Genesis Luck
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:32:26 am »

i think i get a steel half of all the embarkations
but never really get any dwarfs i want from the initial two immigrations..
but i remember once i get three obsidian and five jade dwarfs from the first three immigration..
so i trained those obsidians into marksdwarfs/fisherdwarfs/hunters....

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:30:38 am »

A steel dorf? As in likes steel or something I don't know?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:34:16 am »

He's using the genesis mod.  Each dwarf has a caste like steel, rock, obsidian, each cast has certain abilities.  Steel is very strong and tough, obsidian has a natural light source and can throw fireballs etc.  As you can imagine some castes are more desired than others, steels make especially good fighters which is really helpful for his embark
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:34 am »

I'll say this about the Genesis mod: It makes it a lot easier for you to practise eugenics.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!