Bonobo
- 142 (18.7%)
Gorilla
- 158 (20.8%)
People
- 407 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 758

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 153

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!  (Read 606692 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest!
« Reply #2115 on: January 18, 2013, 09:03:22 pm »

Shhhhh... my employer must never know!

[Hey, I'm a draftsman... I get paid to draw right? They never quite specified *what* I should draw! And hey, doing things like this is good for my skills! :D]

That said, I have done shit all for pixeling up the extra content I want to add. Too busy doing work for the employer. Yay. Oh well, still got all day tomorrow I can invest. If I can throw out 3 scene layers in a few hours, surely I can doodle some teeny sprites, and 1 large one before Sunday.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: January 18, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »

one thing i gotta ask, do you use a tablet or mouse? I personally use a tablet. find it easier to use. but ive never tried making sprites. so i dont know which would be easier

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:38 pm »

That is all straight up mouse.  Don't own a tablet.  If I were to buy a digitizer, I'd fork the 200$ for a wacom inkling, then use the mouse when doing the digital after processing.

(Inkling looks bad ass. Actual inkpen, on actual paper. Tracks pen and pressure activity, stores vector image.)

For pixel art, I prefer the point/click accuracy of the mouse. Sprite work requires exact pixel placement in many circumstances, since a single pixel out of place can ruin everything. Very OCD when making tiny sprites.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:16:31 pm by wierd »

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: January 18, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »

That sounds sweet, i just have a Bamboo Capture. love it though. has a pressure sensitive tip no batteries, and came with autodesk and photoshop

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: January 18, 2013, 10:25:33 pm »

When doing actual drawing, I need direct visual feedback, and unless the monitor is also the tablet surface, I don't get that. Don't feel like forking out 1k to 2k for a professional animator's tablet that does, when a 200$ inkling would be both more comfortable, more familiar, and cheaper.

IIRC, a bamboo is essentially just a really big touchpad. A friend has one, and hates it. Has the same foibles about drawing that I do. He always asks if I want it. Keep turning him down. 

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: January 18, 2013, 10:30:34 pm »

touchpad that may or may not use a pen (they have three models, one uses pen, one uses touch, and one both)

The pen one is possible to get used to, but it takes practice

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: January 18, 2013, 10:32:39 pm »

mine uses pen and touch, i just use the pen, cant use the touch as i cant stand trackpads.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:00 am »

When doing actual drawing, I need direct visual feedback, and unless the monitor is also the tablet surface, I don't get that. Don't feel like forking out 1k to 2k for a professional animator's tablet that does, when a 200$ inkling would be both more comfortable, more familiar, and cheaper.

IIRC, a bamboo is essentially just a really big touchpad. A friend has one, and hates it. Has the same foibles about drawing that I do. He always asks if I want it. Keep turning him down.

Bamboo are really great, honestly animator's tablets are a big waste of money.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: January 19, 2013, 01:31:38 am »

Bamboo requires you to look at the monitor while drawing. I can do that with the mouse, bcause I have visual feedback of the pointer location on the screen. Not so with a stylus digitizer.

The wacom inkling is *literally* a ballpoint pen.

It has a sensor clip that you clip onto the sketchbook, and it turns the sketchbook into a digitizer pad. You then old-school draw, and it stores the pen stroke and pressure data as a series of vectoral curves, ready for illustrator or inkscape.

You can take it with you to the park, or on vacation, or on the bus, since it doesn't need to be connected to the computer to work, only to download the stored image files.

These perks are why I would take it over a bamboo any day.

smexxy video of inkling in action, side by side with illustrator output.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:34:36 am by wierd »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: January 19, 2013, 01:39:15 am »

Um... you get the same feedback with the stylus as with the mouse. You just hover the pen over the pad, and the mouse cursor moves.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:00 am »

*admission

I have different muscle memory for pen drawing than I do for mouse pixel drawing. Used to own a wacom stylus double sided digitizer. (Stylus had 2 sensitive ends, one side used as the eraser.) I could never get used to it. The hover had to be millimeters above the tablet surface, and I was constantly fighting looking down at the tablet to draw.

I wouldn't have those problems with an inkling.  For colorization and after effect cleaups, the mouse would be fine for me.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: January 20, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »

So its sunday... who da winner?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:58 am »

Ack! Sorry; work schedule keeps me away from the sun. Thought it was still Saturday >_<

Alright, recap:

GuesssWho's effortless capture of the spirit of the creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ameablable's adorable insectile abomination (one more word combination I never imagined using):

DG's hideous nightmare fuel:

wierd's relentlessly atmospheric pixel art:

k33n's holyshitwhatthefuckgetitawayGETITAWAYYYYYYYY

Excellent entries! You made choosing way too difficult. I hate you all.

wierd, you got it. I'm very much a fan of the dark, cool color palette, and that only makes those horrible insectile eyes stand out all the more. Well done!

DG, yours was a very close second, not least for the fact that I have a special place in my heart for the Brown Mantidfly:
Spoiler: sweet dreams! (click to show/hide)

k33n, I saw your bug in my nightmares last night. I can't reward that kind of irresponsible behavior 0_o

Ameablable, yours keeps making me laugh by insisting on flying butt forward =P

GuesssWho... words fail me.

Also, on an unrelated note, I forgot to say a week ago: slowpokez, your walrus was frickin' amazing. Very Alice in Wonderland; I kept looking for Urist McCarpenter =D  I hope you draw more here!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:59 am »

Woot! Now weird, give us your most interesring beast!

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #2129 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:52 am »

*admission

I have different muscle memory for pen drawing than I do for mouse pixel drawing. Used to own a wacom stylus double sided digitizer. (Stylus had 2 sensitive ends, one side used as the eraser.) I could never get used to it. The hover had to be millimeters above the tablet surface, and I was constantly fighting looking down at the tablet to draw.

I wouldn't have those problems with an inkling.  For colorization and after effect cleaups, the mouse would be fine for me.

It's definitely something that takes a while to get used to. But once you have it down, it's great.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 153