Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Temple of Armok Decor (40d)  (Read 1178 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Temple of Armok Decor (40d)
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:14:24 pm »

DISCLAIMER: This is for my mega fortress (250+ dorfs) in 40d. The king came as a peasant, but I don't want to waste blue metal on statues or other frivolities.

I'm designing a Temple of Armok. It will be builf of Obsidian, nd possibly have accents in cobaltite and cinnabar. THe central chamber will centre around a pit for dumping POWs into magma. What sort of decor should I add? Floor designs? What type of statues? I have limited ore, mostly copper and iron, but plenty of flux. What else should I add?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temple of Armok Decor (40d)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:13 pm »

Noble rooms directly over the lava, attached to the ceiling with supports.  :P

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:31:04 pm »

I already have a guranateed kill lever built. But that could be interesting.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 10:32:18 pm »

Obviously, you need to make the whole room menace with spikes.

Put ledges for the trap type of spikes, and make larger constructed cinnibar wall and ramp "spikes" to go with it.

Also, you can always just wait through a few years of trading with dwarves and humans for limitless ores of any flavor you desire.  Retro managed to make his entire palace out of gold, platinum, and other precious metals that way.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 10:34:50 pm »

It'll take forever because I dug out spoilers, and then decided to megaproject... Friggin king.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:36 pm »

Well, after a while in my longest-lived 40d fort, I just let it run without any supervision after I managed to automate practically everything.

I'd just visit the forums or go eat while "playing" the game.

But anyway, if you've got flux and goblinite, you've got steel.  That's the metal to dedicate to Armok, aside from bluemetal.

If we're talking about floorplans, though... I'm not sure what sort of "symbol" Armok is supposed to have, though...

Broken arms? 

Maybe you could make the temple based around a giant obsidian hand and arm that drops the goblins into the open maw of a great beast, whose innards are magma?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:54:22 pm »

I'm also wondering about a giant wooden hand giving the finger to the elves. And are there any good ways to design a circle, I want to put a dome on top of it, I think.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:24 pm »

I've seen someone do the giant wooden hand with a middle finger pointed at the nearest elven settlement before... you might be able to search that one up.

Also, for circles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midpoint_circle_algorithm

Although that's a teense on the complex side. 

I generally just make an estimate of what the circle should look like, myself, for anything that isn't so huge it won't fit on one screen, but you can go into MS Paint, zoom in to 1000% or something, and use the circle tool out to a size equal to the size of your temple.  Then just copy that.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:55 pm »

Thanks, I have an idea for them, but I'm not sure if it works. I'll go order it dug in a mountain somewhere to try it. Also, I'm looking for Visual Fortress for viewing when it's done, but I can't seem to find it.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:17:56 am »

I have VF zipped. pm me your e-mail and I'll send it to you ;D
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:28:36 am »

Remember that realgar also yields that fresh and rosy bloodshed color  :D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:38:42 pm »

Oh and if you want a simple little pic showing different circle sizes, you can use this:
http://i53.tinypic.com/15d86du.png

That's the one I use for all the fun blocky games.

Also, I say have a waterfall around the pit o' doom. Let your dwarves bask in pleasant mist as the foolish enemies of Armok are thrown into the fiery depths.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

That's great. I can't put in a waterfall, as the central chamber sits over an artifical magma pool with a clear glass tomb in it, at least it will be when it is finished.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 02:56:55 pm »

You can make very small waterfalls if you set it up right.  Just have a two-pump pump stack with a small pit to be filled as a "pool" by bucket, and surround the top of the waterfal with glass windows or the like so that water doesn't go flying too far away.  You just need to supply power from the outside.

If you do this along the back wall of the "viewing gallery" around the main magma pit, then you won't have to worry about it conflicting with your magma pool.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »

I could install one along the sides or back. That would be an interesting project because I've never built one. I'll try it somewhere first, maybe for my Duchess. She mandates too much anyway.
Pages: [1] 2