Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: A Very UnDwarvenly Fort  (Read 5733 times)

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Very UnDwarvenly Fort
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 09:41:34 pm »

Turning out nicely.

You might want to find a different site to upload images. They're readable but a bit small.

Otherwise i have nothing negative to say. Looking forward to next update!
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 11:10:10 pm »

try img.ie folks
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 12:23:15 am »

Real dwarves use imgur.

Although given the circumstances, I'm not sure if that was the right thing to say.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 12:50:52 am »

From the notes of Kylie, the admin of "Wooden Hovels"
'I think my desk will go over there. And I'll need some chairs to brighten up the place. Y'know what would go great in there? A big stone statue of a flaming beetle eating a rhino lizard. It'll look grand. And I'll need some beds. Can't have my babies sleeping on the stone, oh no I can't!'
-Moment taken from notes to scratch ears of MurderedTeeth, her pet war chihuahua and StoneOars, her Hunting Chihuahua-
'This lot is rather drab, but we will realize a great monument to my babies out here. A statue carved of the soap of a thousand cats. It'll be wondrous!-
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 09:29:21 pm »

Arg, about the pictures I have no clue why they are shrinking. The first picture is just fine but I can't figure out what went wrong with the other two...stupid technology.

Anyway, thanks for all the input everybody, I'll try to do justice to this idiocy. I will try and get an update in tomorrow, if not I suppose too bad.

Oh and by the way, gee thanks Kyla. Looks like you are going to conflict with the non-dwarviness spirit of the fort, tis a shame we're only wanna-be-human.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »

The first picture is just fine but I can't figure out what went wrong with the other two...stupid technology.

Why would you trust your pictures to ones and zeros anyway? See, look, this is your image.
Spoiler: Your image (click to show/hide)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51:56 am »

ha! ones and zeros. I use a computer that operates through a complex series of switches, water and floodgates. Of course the graphics and internet connection are terrible and it takes up half of my embark zone neighborhood. At least it plays df fairly well.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 04:45:41 am »

Arg, about the pictures I have no clue why they are shrinking. The first picture is just fine but I can't figure out what went wrong with the other two...stupid technology.

Anyway, thanks for all the input everybody, I'll try to do justice to this idiocy. I will try and get an update in tomorrow, if not I suppose too bad.

Oh and by the way, gee thanks Kyla. Looks like you are going to conflict with the non-dwarviness spirit of the fort, tis a shame we're only wanna-be-human.

Heh heh, can't escape that dwarven nature. Also, just call me Kyle. The monument to her little dogs is just the tip of the iceberg.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »

Hast this fortress been forgotten?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:37 pm »

Not by me.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 12:54:11 am »

Well I certainly apologize profusely all the people who are currently a part of this. First I lost control of the internet for awhile, then my computer, then life got busy. I haven't even touched Dwarf Fortress since my last update...I have no idea how I survived.
On the plus side, I now have laptop plus other benefitial life stuff, like money, so hurrah! And now that I'm back on track, I will continue on with the fort. I'm still in version 31.18 in case anybody cares, and that's about it. Oh and Cerol is as always free to take if anybody wants, or I can just leave her undwarfed.

----------

[/u]The First Spring[/u]

*In the eyes of Kyle*

I have to say, I am so glad I finally got somewhere to work finally. Caevin promised me from the start that I would have decent accomodations but I suppose it is like a man to not follow through on their promises. My "desk" is a little chair in the corner of this ramshackle building everybody seems to be proud of. I can see Cerol grinning now while she sleeps, thinking she did so well. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, this ramshackle hut is currently not only my work area, but the sleeping and meeting area as well. It's completely disrespectful to what I deserve! But I guess I must be patient, I did somewhat expect for things to be like this, but if everything goes as I'd like then it will be worth it...

*In the eyes of Human*

Lance, Lance, he will protect me...Nothing will go wrong when Lance is around, nothing at all. Oh please nothing at all...

*In the eyes of Caevin*

I really do enjoy the way things are turning out, even though they have been bumpy at times. After the first alligator incident when we first arrived, I had a talk with Kyle.

"Caevin, we need to talk."
"Okay, about what?"
"About all of this!" Kyle said, gesturing around at well...everything.
"You mean the wilderness? That's a lot to talk about."
"That's exactly my point! I'm sick and tired of this, I need proper accomodations to work and live, my dogs are practically dying out here!"
"We haven't even spent a day out here, I don't see how you can complain about lack of effort yet. And plus, what exactly is your job? So far you've refused to help unpack the wagon."
"I am a record keeper and administrator, and I expect a little bit more respect than that."
"Well...we don't exactly have a lot to administrate right now Kyle, as I'm sure you're aware. But if you want to keep records, then you can go ahead and count everything we're unpacking, there's not a whole lot to count."
"I need a desk to count with."
"How will a desk help you count?"
Kyle just glared at me angrily and stomped off. I really don't think we've gotten off to a good start. Anyway, I had to talk to everyone else to get things started, as everybody was just sitting around the wagon chatting with Lance, who really seemed to be enjoying the attention.

"Hey, Human, mind if I put you to work now?"
"Of course Caevin, I'd be glad to get back into my trade. I am loving it here."
"Great, so you can have this," I said, handing him a really nice axe I bought back home, "we are going to be needed a lot of wood, so if you could just cut as much as you can that would be great.
"Uhh...", Human just gave a long sigh as he looked at the axe in his hand.
"What is it?"
"Well, I don't know how to cut wood."
"What, you said you were a woodcutter!"
"Well, I am. But I cut wood into small things like jewelry or stuff."
"So you're not a woodcutter, you're a woodcrafter."
"Ohhhh, is that what they call it now?"
"That's what it's always been called!"
"Well that would explain a lot of things."
"Listen Human, can you please do this anyway? Like I said, we need the wood."
"Well....alright, I guess."

After that was done I turned around and to my surprise, everybody was away from the wagon. Tallpanzer and Cerol were off gathering plants and talking, and Flamey and Lance were hauling the alligator corpse over. I overheard them talking as they got closer.

"...I've never tried cutting any up meself, but I'd say it never hurts to give it a go. What am I gonna do, kill it again?" Flamey said, and he and Lance laughed.
"Well my good man, if you do want more practice I'll do my best to get you more bodies if the opportunity ever presents itself."
"Lad, I really like ye. Now I can handle the rest from here."

And with that Lance bounded off to join the ladies. I noticed that they had already brought back quite a few plants, so I decided to prepare some. After all, you can never have enough food and booze!

Later in the season I heard Human screaming about alligators again. They were really far off, not even bothering us, but Human would hear no consolations. Then Lance came up, and after hearing about what was happening, charged off to attack the alligators. Flamey heard what was happening and started jumping up and clapping his hands. Days like these make me really wonder about who I'm with, and whether I'm crazy too for inviting them all to come with me.

After Lance killed off the alligators, he went back to work on a building he and Cerol were working on. I asked Lance earlier why he was helping, he just said "Cerol wanted help, and it would be ungentlemanly to let her do it all alone" and there was no arguing with that. Plus, it shut Kyle up, which made it great in my book. Apparently they are planning it to be the dining hall later, but for now it will just be well...kind of everything. Fine with me, I don't know how to deal with much else outside of food.

Plus, I have new meat to cook with now. I admit I was a bit reluctant to use the alligator meat at first, but with Flamey's insistence I did, and in all honesty it's not bad. At least it's a welcome change from all the plants Tallpanzer is bringing in, and Human kind of likes it. He was complaining after I told him to stop hogging all the donkey meat, but he seems to get a perverse pleasure from eating the alligator, maybe because he was so frightened of them when they were still moving. In fact, I am starting to worry about him in general. He spends pretty much all day cutting wood, and seems to be enjoying it way too much. But we need the wood, so I can't complain.

----------

And that's it for Spring, hope you all enjoy it. And as always, comments/suggestions/critiques are welcome. My writing or playing skills have certainly not improved at all since my last update, so I have no idea whether my writing is interesting or not.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 02:56:26 am »

oh me me me!

name john
profession hammerdwarf + marksdwarf
traits a normally happy little dwarf humin with unnatural fear of the underground and the creatures that dwell below nomally a cheerfull kind of person almost innocent and friendly but when shit hits the fan his pesonallity(maybe split personallity?) changes to a dirty harry\the punisher type or like the 300 spartans kind a guy uknow rips some guys arm out and uses it stab another person. make him train alot so uknow he doesn't die to early in the story
plus what the fort called?

i think your writing style is pretty unique and detailed for events in the story
maybe do wat some other community forts are doing and having some of forum members input their characters experinces or point of view within the plot but that can be up to the members i dont mind ethier way
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:02:52 am by powpow »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:35 am »

same me TolyK as some technical worker (metalworker, mechanic, siege maker/operator).
if I haven't applied already  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 03:29:04 pm »

Yay, an update!
I'm quite liking the way that you flesh out the dwarves and show their different points of view...keep it up!

There weren't any pictures this time, though... why? :(

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2011, 03:57:20 pm »

Alright, I finally am putting another update up! I decided to do it while taking a break from finishing my final schoolwork for the term (hoorah for not complete procrastion!).

Anyway, I've come to a realization about the fort, it will take quite awhile to build up a decent amount of wealth, due to the fact that no mining is going on. I am planning on getting into mining later on (though Caevin won't like it), but until then I may not get many migrants and thus, may not be able to dwarf many people. I suppose you will all have to deal with it.
And as for pictures, admittedly I just didn't want to mess with it last time, and there wasn't anything picture-worthy. But this update there will be some stuff, so hooray!

And powpow, I have in fact encouraged people to provide their own info and actions for the dwarves they have (within reason), so thanks for your character info. I plan to have the fort have issues later to due lack of communication so every bit of conflicting interest helps! Oh, and the fort is called Lolumimbit, or Woodenhovels.

And without furter ado, the update!

--------------------

The First Summer Part 1

*In the eyes of Tallpanzer*

Things here are so much better than I first thought they would be! I'd met Caevin's father a few times in the past with Cerol, and he was your typical guy, rude and abrasive, and quite dominating. But Caevin is nothing like that; he lets people go about their business and always asks us to do things instead of demanding it, like a really good leader. I've been collecting plants practically nonstop since I got here, it's so nice to actually be able to use my skills. It was nicer when Cerol was with me, but she is having fun building now, and it looks like she has a bit of a crush!

*In the eyes of Kyle*

I swear to Armok that if Human doesn't stop watching me, I am going to send my dogs after him!

In the eyes of Caevin*

I heard from Kyle that Human is spending a lot of time in the building. I noticed it too when I went to take a nap, Human was there when I went to sleep and he was in practically the same spot when I woke up. It wouldn't be too much of a bother if he at least put the axe down, but he's just been gripping it tightly with a kind of panicked look in his eyes. Forget what I said about it worrying me that he was spending a lot of time chopping trees, this is quite a bit more disturbing.

"Hey Human, is everything okay?" I finally went up and asked him
"No...Caevin, I think their getting angry." Human replied fearfully
"...Did they tell you that?"
"No, but that's just the thing! They won't say anything, it's just constant silence. Gnawing at me...it's worse, at least they could say something! But I don't know what they want, it's unbearable!" He practically screamed at me, making me glad that we were alone in the building and removing any thought that he was talking about Kyle.
"Human, just who do you think it getting mad at you?" I asked
"THE TREES!" He yelled, and after a moment of silence in which I couldn't find something to say he went on "They must be getting mad, right? After all, I'm murdering them, in cold blood! I can't believe what I'm doing Caevin, how could we live like this?!"
"Human...the trees are not alive. They aren't talking because they can't."
"How can you be sure?"
"Did you ever have problems when you were making things out of wood?"
"Well...no, but I always figured they killed it already."
"They didn't have to kill it, it was never alive. It's perfectly alright Human."
"Well...okay, thanks Caevin."

And with that matter settled (at least I hope it was) he went back outside to cut more wood. Which was good, because Cerol and Lance had run out before they finished the building. I'm really beginning to wonder whether I'm cut out to be a leader though.

*In the eyes of Cerol*

I hope Tallpanzer doesn't mind that I haven't been spending any time with her. But I'm sure she'll understand, it's been so great to be able to finally building something! And I certainly don't mind the comapny I'm with now...

"I'd like to thank you again Lance for helping me build this, it's going much quicker with the two of us."
"Why it's my pleasure Cerol. I don't have much else to do since my fighting skills are needed, and I swore to serve Caevin the best I could."
"Aren't you worried that you may get rusty or out of shape if you don't fight for awhile?"
"Why I don't think that will be a problem at all, nothing can best me!"
"Well I just wouldn't want to get hurt or anything because you hadn't trained."
"THe concern is nice, but there is nothing to worry about. Lance is, and will always be, an excellent fighter. But just to put your mind at ease, I'll go do a quick bit of practice."

*In the eyes of Caevin*

I have absolutely no idea what came over Lance, but he apparently decided to go kill some wandering slugmen that were around. Oddly enough Cerol was watching.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All I can say is that I'm glad Flamey didn't feel like preparing some slug meat.

------------------

And that's it for the first part, I'll get the second part done either today or tomorrow. Oh and I did decide to switch to imgur for my pictures, I'll change the rest later. It is nice to get the full picture!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5