Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: A Very UnDwarvenly Fort  (Read 5731 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: A Very UnDwarvenly Fort
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

Zrk2 the lyemaker!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »

Alright everybody, sorry about the delay. I've finally got the backstory written out, though it's another rather long one (I actually had to make sure to shorten it from what I wanted). But hey, to those who like reading (even if it is crappy writing) then maybe you'll like. For everybody else, don't worry, I'll actually start recording the events of the fort next update.
Oh and thanks for the interest guys. I will definitely man you up when I get more man-wanna-be's to my fort. I would have put a seventh player in had I not started the fort a couple days ago.

Alright, on to finish the backstory!
-----

I walked down to the market district with Ezum bounding along at my heels like a puppy.
"I don't see why we need to go and prepare, let's just go out already!" Ezum bubbled excitedly.
"We have to prepare so we can actually survive and make it on our own out there. After all, we don't have to have to tell people that we screwed up and need to go back home after we get settled do we?" I replied.
"Yeah I guess you're right, well can I help with the shopping?"
"Well to be honest, I would kind of like to deal with it myself. I'm working with all the money I've saved up and don't have a lot to spare."
     And after saying that, I didn't catch what he said in reply, as he was busy bounding ahead of me while he said it, but he sounded a bit disappointed. When we finally got into the market I was wishing I had made up a more descriptive list of things to get. My current one consisted of:

-Food
-Drink
-Tools
-Other Supplies

"Whatcha looking at there Caevin?" Ezum said as I looked at my list glumly.
"Oh nothing Ezum, I just do not know what I need to get to well."
"I TOLD YOU, IT'S HUMAN!"
"Right, sorry, sorry."
"Anyway, who needs a list? Let's go get food!"
     And with that Ezum, no Human, rushed to the nearest butcher shop, where the butcher was busy at work. Chopping up some body part, in plain view of everything! How disgusting. When I caught up to Human him and the other dwarf were already deep in conversation.

“...Well you see here, it's all in the legs. You let these donkeys frolic around and try and kick ya and stuff like the asses they are, then when ye've had enough ye show them whatcha can do with a knife. All that kicking makes the meat nice and tender.” The butcher was saying.
“Oh yum, that sounds so good. Caevin, we need to buy this stuff, donkey meat is the best!” Human shouted at me, drool flying from his mouth.
“Aye, it is, I'm one of the best around. But before we get to business, let me as ye a question. I've heard from this lad here that you fellas are heading out to live on the surface, that true?”
“Well yes, it is. But it doesn't mean we're stupid, so don't go charging us more or anything.”
“I wouldn't dream of it. No, this interesting fella here tells me you're getting a party together to head out, and I'd like to join you.”
“Oh, well in that case...well, I guess I wouldn't mind. What do you think Human?”
“Anybody who knows how to make donkey is the best person in the world. We are taking him!” Human said a bit too excitedly.
“Haha, I like you Human. Alright, I'll provide what I've got in stock now for the group. When are we headed out?”
“Tomorrow. Oh, and what's your name?” I asked.
“It's Flamey.”
“Alright. Well we are going to meet outside the main gates around dawn, sound good?”
“Aye it does, see you then, oh, but might I make a request for the group name?”
“Well we hadn't really considered making a group name but sure.”
“Cleave the Godly Merchant” Flamey said, as he scowled at a wealthy looking dwarf walking by.
“Uh, sounds interesting, I'll take it into consideration.”
“I like it.” Human said
“Great, it's a keeper then!” Flamey said, before going inside.
“Really Human, 'Cleave the Godly Merchant'? Sounds like some stupid rivalry.” I said with frustration.
“Hey, anything that gets me more donkey.” He retorted.
     And with that settled, Human and I set off. Well, aside from the odd name we got, I was fairly surprised at how well things were going, I wish I had decided to do this earlier.
“Well Human, I guess we might as well grab a drink to celebrate our new member.”
“Oh that's sounds great! Come on, I know a great pub to go to.”
“How? Haven't you been locked up for years?”
“Well my rat friends told me about it, they love that place.”
 “...I'm not sure a place that rats like would be all that great Human.”
“Are you insulting my friends?” Human asked with a hint of menace in his voice.
“Uh no, of course not,” I said hurriedly, “It sounds like a great place, let's go!”

When we got there is was just as dirty and dingy as I expected it to be. What I didn't expect was to see the bartender having a heated argument with another dwarf. A dwarf who I actually knew, oh Armok...
“Human,” I said quickly, “I changed my mind, we're leaving.”
“What, why? You're not still prejudiced against my old friends are you?”
“No, it's one of my dad's old friends. I don't want to deal with anybody now.”
“Nonsense! Hey, part of being human is being loyal to the people you know, and she looks like she's having a problem.”
     And after saying that Human marched up to the counter while the yelling match continued.
“...And I'm telling YOU, I don't want you to work to pay off your tab, you're useless! I want money!” The bartender shouted, growing red in the face.
“But I can work! I'm great with wood!” Cerol shouted back.
“Do you see any wood around here?” The bartender yelled.
“Excuse me folks, but could I help ease things up around here?” Human calmly said as he got to the counter.
“Yes, you can get this woman to pay her tab.” The bartender said.
“Well how much is the tab?” Human asked.
“27 coins”
“Great, then we can pay! Caevin, come on over here already.” Human said, gesturing to me.
    When she heard my name, Cerol's eyes lighted up and she rushed over to me.
“Oh Caevin, great to see you, it's been so long!” She said excitedly.
“Yeah...definitely awhile,” I muttered, glaring angrily at Human.

Well to make a long story short, I ended up paying up Cerol's tab, and she wanted to come with us. So wonderful, sure is great getting to spend time with old acquaintances. Then HER friend came in and after talking wanted to come in. Her name was Tallpanzer, and I never did figure out just how sober her parents were when they named her. I reluctantly arranged to meet the tomorrow at the same time as Flamey.
    Later that night I met up again with Lance, who insisted on getting something good to eat for dinner, as thanks for taking him. You know, despite what I first thought, he is beginning to grow on me. Unfortunately all was not well at dinner, as a dwarf come up to us while we were eating. She said her name was Kyle, and once again I wondered at the sobriety of various parents. But she was apparently an administrator that wanted to join us, said “Every starting forts needs someone to manage things.” Sounded like she planned to be a freeloader, but I figured as an administrator she may provide money for supplies later on, and I let her join up.
    When I saw her at dawn the next day, I found all she was going to provide was dogs. I suppose there was a reason she felt like leaving dwarven society, but it was too late to say no, and off we went.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 06:29:12 pm »

Hopefully Human won't die the minute we ACTUALLY embark.
But he probably will :P :P :P

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:55 pm »

You made me crazy? Glad you're going for the realistic approach.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:44 pm »

You already have your 7, so i'll end up being a migrant, but

Name: DŒbesh GesulEgdoth
Profession: Archer
Traits: Was once dwarfy, but decided to try the aboveground for a change. Has severe cave adaptation, and occasionally must resist the urges to kill elves, build with stone, and use magma. Is very unused to aboveground crops.

Yes, my name is in DF's dwarvish. No, it was not randomly generated.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 10:59:37 pm »

Haha Icee, crazy? No, not yet, but if you insist I can speed along the process. The alligator helped things along.

And Ipwn, thanks for the detailed character, should be interesting to work in.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 11:09:51 pm »

So I suppose instead of "kill it with fire" you have to say "kill it with water" for this playthrough.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 11:31:10 pm »

This LP needs a pirate and a ninja.

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 01:48:33 am »

So I suppose instead of "kill it with fire" you have to say "kill it with water" for this playthrough.

Or I suppose, it could be "release the (insert whatever crazy animal I can get Flamey to train, probably dogs for now)", but I like your thinking.
Also, a pirate AND a ninja? Do you want a civil war? Well I suppose if we are going to act human...
Oh and by the way Double A, I like your avatar, I love Giant in the Playground, I almost wanted to make you like Belkar...

Also, sorry about the delay, I haven't found the time to dedicate to playing Dwarf Fortress yet, I don't like to play it in little spurts. I'll do a small update for now for my sake though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:50:16 am by Caevin »

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 02:23:34 am »

The Journey to Lolumimbit...

*Caevin's Thoughts*

I suppose I should be grateful that Kyle decided to come along. I have no idea why she decided to come along with us still, but she seems pretty good at knowing her information and keeping records. She gave us a general map of the land outside of the mountain-homes, and we've picked a good spot that only took two days to get to. Although what Kyle tells me worries me a little...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...apparently the dwarves have been at war with the frogmen in the area. Who knew? Oh well, I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem, after all, why would they come after us?

*Flamey's Thoughts*

I overheard Caevin and that Kyle gal talking on the way to wherever it is we're headin. I guess we are going to be doing some fighting with some frogmen sooner or later. Mmmm, I'd bet they'd taste pretty good. Kinda tart I'd bet, with a good chewyness.

Boy, Kyle has some good doggies too, they would make good war dogs.

*Kyle's Thoughts*

I swear, if I see Flamey eyeing my dogs for too much longer, I am going to sic them on him.

*Human's Thoughts*

-----

Upon Arrival at Lolumimbit, 1 Granite

*In the eyes of Human*

"And here we settle upon Lolumimbit, 'Woodenhovels', " I said majestically, the second the wagon stopped.
"You can't just give it a name like that, plus that's a ridiculous name," Kyle growled back.
"I don't know Kyle, I kind of like it, I say we keep it," Tallpanzer said, joining the conversation.
Everybody else, listening in, agreed to keep it as well. You know, I like Tallpanzer. Out of all the people here, I bet she would understand me. Hey, maybe she even has some rat friends too!

Suddenly, I noticed something off to the northeast...

*In the eyes of Caevin*

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Human, shutup! What is it?" I tried to yell over Human's yelling.
"ALLLLIIIIIGGGATTTOOORRR!!!!!!!!!!" He yelled back, sending everybody in to a panic.
It was just then I noticed a big, fierce alligator coming out of a murky pool rather close to the wagon, and I decided to join them.
"Now hang on fellas, it's nothing to get worked up over. I, Lance, shall purge this evil from Woodenhovels so that the rest of us may be safe!" Lance boasted proudly, after I and Kyle ran into him. And with that he chased after the alligator, bellowing wildly.

"Psst, Cerol, how much do you want to bet he'll last?" I heard Tallpanzer whisper.
"Hey, he'll do just fine, he can handle himself," I said to her, hoping that myself.

I looked over to them, only to notice Lance walking back already with a grin on his face. We all stood dumbfounded as he took a drink acting as nonchalant as he possibly could pretend to be. Then I noticed Kyle scribbling furioously on a notepad of hers. I took a look at what she was writing...

Well, there's two things I've learned today:

1) Kyle is definitely a good record keeper.
2) I am slightly frightened of Lance, but I'm certainly glad he's my friend.

*In the eyes of Flamey*

Mmmm, I've always wanted to make alligator before...

-----

Hopefully you all enjoy a short update as a break from the first long and probably dry ones. Hope you enjoy!

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 10:21:01 am »

Name: Petey
Profession: Pirate
Traits: Wants to be a pirate REALLY BADLY. Unfortunately, dwarfs have not yet developed boat technology, so (s)he tried being a land pirate. After a number of mild harassments, Petey was sent to Woodenhovels as a form of punishment.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 11:00:13 am »

Count me in.
Name: Nowan Leiks Mi
Male
Job: Mechanic/Siege engineer
Bio: Misfit.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 04:16:07 pm »

Poor Human, a fear of animals.
When you can, send him into the military or hunting profession! ;D ;D
Wring out all that wimpiness out of him!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »

Well this is interesting.  I've always wanted to make a nice human town but I've always been too lazy.  DorfHumin me in the next migrant wave as a woodcrafter/part time pikeman please.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 08:03:42 pm »

HA! TAKE THAT, NAMELESS FIEND!

Or I suppose, it could be "release the (insert whatever crazy animal I can get Flamey to train, probably dogs for now)", but I like your thinking.
Also, a pirate AND a ninja? Do you want a civil war? Well I suppose if we are going to act human...
Oh and by the way Double A, I like your avatar, I love Giant in the Playground, I almost wanted to make you like Belkar...

Also, sorry about the delay, I haven't found the time to dedicate to playing Dwarf Fortress yet, I don't like to play it in little spurts. I'll do a small update for now for my sake though.

You could make Lance's second-in-command Belkar so they constantly have conflict.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:08:29 pm by Double A »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5