Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Top games of all time.  (Read 4877 times)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top games of all time.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 11:29:25 pm »

Does it take awhile to add up the points? I filled out my 25 top games and it hasn't changed the number of points DF has

edit: Never mind it took about 10 minutes to change, it's up to 312 now  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:33:33 pm by Jusman »
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 11:48:07 pm »

You know, even though there are a lot of games on lists similiar to that one that I like they never have games that I have LOVED. 
Like DF for instance, and games like Mount & Blade: Warband, which has the closest thing to medieval combat system I have come across and X3: Terran Conflict which is a lot like DF in space with 3d graphics. 
I guess they are too complex for most people who just want to jump in and mash buttons, but I just can't play those types of games due to becoming bored after a very short time.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:47 am »

SUCK IT BUBBLE BOBBLE

Huh, DF is right below MP3:Corruption right now.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 12:52:31 am »

You know, even though there are a lot of games on lists similiar to that one that I like they never have games that I have LOVED. 
Like DF for instance, and games like Mount & Blade: Warband, which has the closest thing to medieval combat system I have come across and X3: Terran Conflict which is a lot like DF in space with 3d graphics. 
I guess they are too complex for most people who just want to jump in and mash buttons, but I just can't play those types of games due to becoming bored after a very short time.
As of right now, M&B is at #289. And DF is at 275.
Go ahead and put them high on your own list, and they'll rise higher on the general list too.

Also, you can set DF in the PC games toplist as well as the all-around best.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:00:45 am by Cruxador »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:15 am »

DF's right below Dune II right now... :o
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:17 am »

Maybe we should try for best sound track too. For kicks...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 01:33:49 am »

Almost by definition, the games that will be highest on this list are going to be the games that appeal to the lowest common denominator of gamers.  You likely won't get a vote for "best game ever" from someone who never played it, so the games that appeal to the broadest audience automatically get a leg up in the voting.  That's why things like Legend of Zelda occupy so many top spots - everyone who's ever had a nintendo system has played Zelda.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 01:34:48 am »

Maybe we should try for best sound track too. For kicks...
DF has one song, which is a simple guitar piece. It's a pretty good one, but DF really doesn't deserve best soundtrack over a lot of the other stuff that's out there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:13:03 am by Cruxador »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 04:34:40 am »

Wow, glad I got to see that before the edit. I think the prior message was a lot more interesting.

And I mean I take most anything with a smile, when I'm in the firing line atleast, so it's not like you were realy stepping on any ones toes.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 04:37:12 am »

Wow, glad I got to see that before the edit. I think the prior message was a lot more interesting.

And I mean I take most anything with a smile, when I'm in the firing line atleast, so it's not like you were realy stepping on any ones toes.
I decided to take my own advice.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:57 am »

That's sort of sad. It just seems sort of less expressive.

People are all so stoic...

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 05:57:59 am »

A conversation i've had on another forum that i've decided to quote 'ere.

Quote from: Kipi
DF doesn't get lots of attention in public, especially since it's still in alpha state (fully playable alpha!) and the learning curve... I mean cliff, is just too much for most casual gamers.
Quote from: Stworca
By cliff you mean bottomless chasm of doom, despair and insanity, with menacing spikes of moss agate and pictures of dwarves in pig tail and dwarves, the dwarves speak with the dwarves.... Yeah, that'd be Dwarf Fortress.

Now, i'd probably toss best music award to.. Star Wars : Battlefront 2.

Speaking of 'best' i cannot resist but mention MGS3 again ,for its storyline (and the best patriot figure in Ze Boss). Age of Wonders for the best storyline in strategy games (the game had SIX possible endings!) The Guild 2 (or its prequel ; Europa 1400) for beign blackmail, assassination, thievery, ambush & bribe incarnate.. economy game. & M&B: warband, for the best medieval combat.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:19:15 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 10:10:14 am »

I had to scroll through four Final Fantasies and Oblivion before I got to StarCraft. Something is wrong here.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:48 pm »

I can't find DF on this list for the life of me.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 12:36:59 pm »

I can't find DF on this list for the life of me.

It's.. under D?

Under D&D online
Above Dynamite Cop (in the quiet words of virgin Mary.. what is this!?)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.
Pages: 1 [2] 3