Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Top games of all time.  (Read 4875 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Top games of all time.
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:57:44 pm »

Hoo!

'twas some time since i last visited these forums, and none of you should know me, or care for that matter, instead you should care about this.

The page isn't a moloch such as IGN or Gamespot, thus it is possible to make a difference with your votes, unlike in the previous, where no matter what you pick, ten milion people will choose Fallout 3 because it's the only game they ever played..

At any rate, there WASN"T an option to vote for DF! I fixed it now. It's 501st, which for an alpha is amazing, but it can go much, much further.

Vote, fellow McUrists!

(I just hope it's the correct forum? I figured it is related to DF directly, as not only will it show just how popular it is, but also may promote the game to more people that did not know it before. I also believe it is related, because we all play DF :D and as Stworca McPoorfortressmanager i voted it as n1 with no doubts)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:02:52 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Top games of all time.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:03:00 pm »

Hoo! Voting!

Then again, I'm not sure I want DF to be on a "Greatest Games of All Time" list where Final Fantasy X is number 6...

EDIT:Did you have to create the DF page on there? Where did that picture come from?!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:08:02 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »

Yes, some of the picks made me tremble and despair.. Pokemon on front page... Fallout 3..
Although i must say that i hope that metal gear solid 3 wins (for the best storyline).

There was already DF game in database, with picture of dwarf with ascii world in background. I only added it to the vote for best of all time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:19:03 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:16:37 pm »

Hoo! Voting!

Then again, I'm not sure I want DF to be on a "Greatest Games of All Time" list where Final Fantasy X is number 6...

EDIT:Did you have to create the DF page on there? Where did that picture come from?!
Hey, don't make me defend that game. I enjoyed it, even with the worlds worst voice acting.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:20:12 pm »

Hoo! Voting!

Hey, don't make me defend that game. I enjoyed it, even with the worlds worst voice acting.
I'd actually like to see it defended, that sounds hilarious. Besides that, Final Fantasy VII is above Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger on the list. CHRONO TRIGGER. Are you kidding me?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:20:46 pm »

Dwarf Fortress really isn't finished and if it stopped here it wouldn't get on that list in my books

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:31:38 pm »

I'd actually like to see it defended, that sounds hilarious. Besides that, Final Fantasy VII is above Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger on the list. CHRONO TRIGGER. Are you kidding me?

It's a matter of when they were born/first allowed to have a controller, really.  If you were weaned on a Playstation, you'll never truly understand the glory of the SNES or any other previous generation's console.

I was actually a bit of a bigger fan of Secret of Mana, as much as I loved those other two, because you could play that one multiplayer, and that led to some really good times.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »

Well this is slighty a derail, but lets get this show on the road. Allow us to start with artistic form...
Graphics: Kicked ass. Take a look at GTAIII, another popular title, released same year, same consol. While the game did look nice in a gritter mannor thta was befitting, it lacked the detail and flair that FFX strived on. It had futuristic citys, beautiful islands and amazing jungles in the first chapters of gameplay. This was a game where somebody decided 'We are going to see just how well the PS2 can preform!', and I mean that literly. Lulu's dress is made of belts, and this design choice was made to make it as hard as possible for the graphics team, but they still pulled it off. The game looks a treat all round, and is visualy the most pleasing PS2 game I have ever played.

Music: Do I need to go into this? Nobuo Uematsu rocked on this one. The track 'To Zanarkand' is the most welcome change from the stock standard 'prelude theme' that a final fantasy has ever had, and a stunning intro theme to any game, and it only continues to get better from then on. I personaly realy like 'Auron's theme'.

Charictorisation: It's good! Darn good! For a change we arn't meant to like look up to the protagonist like a super hero, but rather see him as a cry baby. When he is first given a sword, rather then the typical hero thing, he can't even stand with it, and they don't make a big deal of it later. Even what would normaly be the most shallow and annoying brat of the group, Rikku, is shown to have more depth when she dosn't just match on into the far plane.

Story: Once again, great! I love an RPG where instead of 'The only ones who can save the world!' they are a single party of many out to achive a common goal. Just for once, the world isn't 100% dependant on you, and still does not know of your existance, it known who you are and what you are trying to do, and knows there are others trying to do the same thing. Yes, I'm trying to do this without spoilers.

Combat: For once I didn't have to grind once to beat a boss, and they were not overly easy. The sphere grid was also a nice change of pace from the normal RPG level system.

And the first consol I had has a NES. Playing old games does not mean you have to hate the new ones.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 07:47:54 pm »

I don't hate it, it just deserves triple digits. Not the 10 slot.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:50:15 pm »

So between best graphics, arguably best sound track (I think FFXII did better for music though) and a half decent story for a JRPG involving magic and swords, it is down in tripple digets...

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:09 pm »

So between best graphics, arguably best sound track (I think FFXII did better for music though) and a half decent story for a JRPG involving magic and swords, it is down in tripple digets...
Yes. Out of hundreds of thousands, I'd say triple digits is pretty charitable.

That said, I would put Dwarf Fortress in the top ten were it finished. It's at least in the top 50 now.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 07:56:37 pm »

Well yea DF gets number 1. Although if DF gets number 1, that means were counting indie games, and that might bump FFX into double digets, but not triple...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

Discounting those specific complaints regarding Final Fantasy games, that's actually a pretty good list.

I went ahead and did this stuff.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 10:44:45 pm »

It's the 404th one, now.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 10:48:41 pm »

Well I feel good about beating dawn of war II, but sort of bad about beating kirbys adventure. Yes, I know DF is better then Kirbys adventure, but you have to pity the little guy...
Pages: [1] 2 3