Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifacts: laws of physics need not apply  (Read 2592 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Artifacts: laws of physics need not apply
« on: January 31, 2011, 05:24:20 pm »

so i've been away from playing dwarf fortress for a while and decided to try the latest version, first secretive mood was a gem setter who grabs a single white chalcedony that weighs about 1r, when she finishes it is a 80r white chalcedony coffin, even weirder it was made at a gem setting station. normally i'd laugh at this sort of thing, but this leaves me just plain stumpted trying to figure out how that worked without saying something like the dwarf pulled together dark mater.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Artifacts: laws of physics need not apply
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:26:23 pm »

It happens.

My favorite is an artifact cat bone floodgate (see my sig for more info).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »

ok, guess you have a point...even more ironically the thing is named sungrief the anguished curiousity, but it would still be nice if it did something, guess the best it could be used for burying whoever is the greatest dwarf of the fort.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:22:21 pm »

This actually happens in some other situations too. In 40d a single turtle bone, weighing 5r, could make a pair of bone gauntlets that weighed 29r each.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:41:44 pm »

It happens in reverse all the time, too.

Entire stone that represents an entire wall's worth of material used for a single stone earring craft.

Yeah, sure, you're taking something away, but you're still vaporizing a massive amount of matter with absolutely no waste by-product to sweep up.

Anyway, this sort of thing inspired this suggestion on Volume and Mass.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:13 pm »

As I was loading this thread, I was thinking, "physics defying artifacts? You mean like coffins made from a single gem?"  :P

Remember, mooders are chosen by the gods... the gods may not be able to *supply* that one piece of shell, but once you have it, by gods can they make it work.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 09:01:37 pm »

Literally.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:33:37 pm »

It violates the laws of cause and effect, too. I just had an artifact pick made with an image of itself on it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »

It violates the laws of cause and effect, too. I just had an artifact pick made with an image of itself on it.

Do we really need to have the recursive artifact discussion again?
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:47:53 pm »

It was a spoiler pick. I like the irony. And I have already heard the recursive artifact argument, I don't really care, I just think it's funny.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:49:20 am »

Do we really need to have the recursive artifact discussion again?

Yes, do we really need to have the recursive artifact discussion again?

;D
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 06:04:32 am »

It seems simple on how you get less material than when you start. The lost material is broken away and ground to dust. With the exception of special attack dusts, the game doesn't track dust, not from workshops, nor from all the mining you do.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 06:20:32 am »

do we really need to have the discussion about whether we really need to have the discussion about the recursive artifacts>
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 07:15:55 am »

Do I really need to...

*ahem*

Just thought I'd poke my nose in to say that last time I happened by the Dwarven Physics page of the Wiki, one of the sponsored ad-lines at the bottom (which may be being blocked by the firewall, at this place, it's still whirring away and giving me nothing) was for something that was essentially a large-scale laser-interferometer purportedly capable of detecting space-time distortions.  As I didn't follow the link, I'm not sure if it was ain inadvertent ad for a Femilabs-type place that had (and/or was building) one of those, or something more akin to the TimeCube site, with a almost dwarvenly whacko sitting behind the keyboard.

Pages: [1] 2