Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Via Galactica  (Read 20300 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: Via Galactica
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2011, 08:23:00 pm »

This game looks pretty sweet. It was on my "list" of things to try out, but somehow I forgot about it. Sounds right up my alley, too!

I'm getting old.  :(

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:34 pm »

I can't get onto the website, its not up or something.  No 404 error, but neither IE nor FireFox can get it to come up for me.  :'(
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2011, 01:06:20 am »

Looks like something is wrong with the site. The download link is for Mediafire, if you want to just get it there.

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:28 am »

The website (at http://viagalactica.atspace.com/) seems to be working OK now - sorry for any interruption to service!

Zangi, thanks for the suggestion of putting a list of changes on the website. In the meantime, please note that there is a list of updates in the Help File which accompanies the program. Choose "Help" from the Help Menu to call up the Help File and then choose the "New Features and Upgrade Information" page.

While I have everyone's attention, don't forget that Via Galactica Extras are now available - a big pack of plug-in features eg more cargos, more systems, more customisation. I do ask for a small donation for this ($5 or thereabouts). See http://viagalactica.atspace.com/extras.html for full details.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2011, 09:00:06 am »

ACTUNG BAY12!

Version 1.6.6 released 7 August 2011
http://viagalactica.atspace.com/

Mediafire download
http://www.mediafire.com/?pklly3k5gkn1t4c

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2011, 10:12:34 am »

How do i make it bigger?  it is so small that i cant read anything.  I need to get it to have BIG fonts.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »

Yamo, choose "Larger Window" in Program Settings. That enlarges the font a bit in the main window at least.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:41:21 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2011, 04:43:17 pm »

Hiya, watchers of this thread might wish to know that a new version of Via Galactica has been published - downloadable from the website at

http://viagalactica.atspace.com

Enjoy...

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2011, 07:15:15 am »

Hallo all. I am the author of the game in question and was sent a link to these really helpful comments by one of your number (thanks!)

I've never had such useful feedback as this. In response I am making a few changes to try and remove some of the arbitrary loss, which I hadn't realised were causing people such grief!

For example, I'll make sure that cosmic discontinuities never leave the ship stranded in space, which I agree is a bit unfair...and I'm happy to shrink the size or cost of some key bits of equipment if people feel that would give the game a bit more momentum early on. I agree there is a bit of a 'plateau' effect. If anyone would like to make suggestions on that then let me know...

On robbery by pirates and storms - you can insure yourself against this very cheaply in the Finance dialog box. This dramatically reduces the loss - but I accept it doesn't entirely remove it.

There's an email update list you can subscribe to if you want to learn about updates as soon as they're issued - drop a line to orangetreesubscribe@yahoo.com to get added.

On the bugs being experienced, I think this is due to the Windows 7 Program Files protection protocols, which are causing lots of issues for developers. I'm on the case though.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Let me know if there are any other annoying bits you want fixed!

Cheers

I really dislike scaling difficulty. Maybe the solution would be safe systems to trade in around the starting point.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2011, 05:44:37 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, pilgrimboy. That's not a bad idea. Can you help me by saying a bit more about what you mean by "safe" systems? Simply that there are no pirates - or something else?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06:41 pm »

Huh, this looks neat.
Shall download.
*Hugs*

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, pilgrimboy. That's not a bad idea. Can you help me by saying a bit more about what you mean by "safe" systems? Simply that there are no pirates - or something else?
Center = Easy Difficulty
Inner Ring = Medium Difficulty
Outer Ring = Hard Difficulty

This could be explained that the Center is more likely to be policed, less/weaker aliens and pirates and those that show are generally weaker, but cops are stronger.  It could also mean that smuggling is more profitable, but hazardous, while basic commodities sell for and buy for less.  In short, low-medium profit & safe trade, high profit & risky smuggling.

In the Inner Ring, police, aliens and pirates are of equal difficulty.  While both smuggling and trade is equally profitable and pretty much equal risk.

In the Outer Ring, more/stronger alien and pirate presence, less/weaker police.  High profit & risky trade, Low-medium profit & still risky smuggling due to aliens and pirates.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

orangetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Via Galactica
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »

Hi Zangi, that's certainly an interesting set of thoughts.

The Via Galactica universe is surface-spherical, by which I mean if you go in a straight line in any direction for long enough you'll end up back where you started, a bit like circumnavigating the earth. There are also 'stargates' which are analogous to going through the inside of the sphere to the surface on the other side. So the idea of 'rings' is a bit tricky to implement, except as an artificially-constructed way of making the game harder the further away you get from the starting system.

That said, it could be done, because there are functions built into the program capable of working out which systems are practically-speaking furthest away from wherever the player is (the Route Finder function in the Extras package uses these). But the act of travelling via a stargate would plonk the player down in an environment of differing difficulty to wherever they started (harder or easier), which seems a bit unfair.

I'd be interested to know what others think about this idea.

utlirg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18:19 pm »

Game's difficulty is balanced enough. But I wish there were some additional opportunity to raise pilot and warrior skills higher than 14. At least some temporary option. It might be a special rare facility among equipment. Because this gap between player's and opponents skills limit reduces game's charm a bit.

Global task of the game is to gain wealth untill universe expanding makes travelling impossible.
In my opinion, it could be broadened by more war issues. Not just government or alliances feature in extras. Why not add a classification by inhabitants? Humanoids, non-humanoids and cyborgs. Hence - corresponding goods availability. And antagonistic outbreaks affecting travelling and trading.

I know I am asking too much. Actually it is just a food for thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:11:51 pm by utlirg »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8