Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My love of DF continues  (Read 1848 times)

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My love of DF continues
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:12:57 am »

So something happened before. I was sitting here starting a fort when I get an alert telling me that rhesus macaques were stealing my stuff. I had just got a migrant wave and selected the most useless at the time. A clothier, who I imagined looking confused when I told her to get her fighting boots on. I sent her over to the area where these monkeys were and she must have had a bad experience at some point, like monkeys killed her father or something, because she absolutely went to town on like five monkeys. I know it seems pretty standard, but it was like UFC mayhem. She choked one out. Ripped the foot off another and held it until the unfortunate monkey got its brains punched out. The others were left scattered around her like an infants finger painting. I just couldnt help thinking that the migrants all turn up and the boss goes.
Boss : "Hello everyone. Welcome to Chanttreaties. First things first. You there... Yes you. You need to bash some monkeys stealling crutches"
Clothier : "Oh, disco!"
Boss : "You can get a axe at the..."
Clothier while sprinting into the distance : "Here comes the pain!"

Shes named Monkey Choker now and has killed a few more monkeys since. Oh and a tantruming glassmaker who got both his hands chopped off and bled out. Anyone had a moment like this where you just go, "Awesome"

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My love of DF continues
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:16:53 am »

Awesome moments while playing DF? You bet!  :D This game keeps surprising me with the complex situations that arise from semi random events.
My best current anecdote was a troll in my (cold) lava trap. I had made a quite nice magna trap that was emptied several z levels down on some grates to separate the metals from the lava. But the troll destroyed some of the grates before entering my trap, so I flushed it down into the lower draining system. There the doomed creature lived happily saying ‘Booh’ to my looters, until finally I arranged for a crossbow squad to shoot it.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:28:16 am »

inb4 rhesus peices
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:24:12 pm »

A Rhesus Macaque has stolen a Prepared Rhesus Macaque Heart!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:07:44 pm »

rhesus macaques are cute and i like having them around.
i often mint shiny coins and leave them on top of our walls (where they like to hang out) for them to "steal"
i stopped killing them after i realized anything i make out of their leather is irritating as hell cause all i see without hitting "ENTER" to view item is
"Rhesus Macaque Leather B"
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 05:40:38 pm »

Hitting tab expands the screen enough to read the macaque gear.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

I currently have a couple of war rhesus' guarding my front entrance, I've been hoping they would breed some more for me since they're chained up right next to each other but it's been a year now and no luck  :-\

Also I have two war mountain goats at the back entrance, not sure how effective those are going to be though
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:31:29 pm »

You need more battle cattle, Jus.  They are... surprisingly effective.  Plus hamburgers when they fail.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:16 pm »

You need more battle cattle, Jus.  They are... surprisingly effective.  Plus hamburgers when they fail.
No no.  They are Combat Cows ... and their burro counterparts the Battle Asses! (The Demolition Donkey's and Magma Mice, however, had a very limited usefulness ... they never made it out of practice ...)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »

Back in 40D.  Woodcutter meets goblin ambusher.  I think oh great he's screwed.  Instead he hacks out the goblin's eyes and leave it laying on the ground in horrific pain.  It later crawls off the map. :)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 01:21:51 am »

Sometimes you gotta love it when your men don't finish a kill.  Leaving that goblin legless to crawl off the map one tile per day, is just so fitting...

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:54:59 am »

I recently hit the done-everything-bar-digging-deeper-low-fps-bored stage and was considering starting a new fort. Then a big 4-squad siege turns up and I turtle up to prepare a defence. In doing so I realise I've left two of my military dwarves outside.

Writing them off as a loss, I continue with my preparations, only to see that one of them entered a martial trance. I zoom to him to watch the two of them dance amongst a hail of silver bolts to shred a marksgoblin party, before decimating some axegobbos and then rounding on the rest of them. The two of them took out the entire damn siege. I love this game.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 09:50:56 am »

Nothing satiates a thieving monkey's curiosity like large serrated disc traps.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 10:14:24 am »

I love it when you feel like the dwarves are doing something for a reason.  One time, a goblin snatcher was caught by a random hauler, who he immediately slashed and killed.  My legendary hammerdwarf ran after him, caught up, bashed one of his legs to break it and stun him, bashed him in the upper spine to make him paralyzed, and (as I like to imagine it) turned him over, said "This is for Urist McHauler" and brought his hammer down on the goblin's face (Obviously it just said he hit him in the head, jamming the skull etc, but a man can have his dreams).

Also, same fort, I had a magma trap over my entrance that doubled as a way to make the mountain I was on gain twin rivers of magma.  To do this, I had a row of floodgates on either side of the magma.  Trolls apparently aren't as smart as dwarves, though, and don't think twice about destroying a hot floodgate.  I think he got incinerated, but the trap was not nearly as effective as it should have been.  I fixed it after so that the floodgates couldn't be reached by ground creatures.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 11:13:06 am »

Oh and a tantruming glassmaker who got both his hands chopped off and bled out. Anyone had a moment like this where you just go, "Awesome"

In the very first battle vs. a goblin ambush, one of my soldiers had his left arm removed at the elbow and the right hand removed.

Needless to say, I removed him from the military and replaced him. He had all of his labors turned off, and was allowed to basically become 'retired'.

Every time I see 'Urist McNohands cancels Store Owned Item: Too Injured' I giggle to myself.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007
Pages: [1] 2