Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Personal mods?  (Read 6313 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Personal mods?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:26 pm »

I'm sure that maxed-out social awareness will serve the slade golem well.  :P
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 10:08:04 pm »

well he can only gesture his thoughts so it's that much more important that he understands how his gestures are being received
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2011, 10:14:31 pm »

I'll give you two guesses, and the first three don't count.
くコ:彡

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 10:16:06 pm »

I'll give you two guesses, and the first three don't count.
???  ???
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »

I modified biscuits to be crumpets. Guess why.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 10:51:10 pm »

Too much estrogen?

;)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »

Too much estrogen?

;)

Tribute to the Ironblood legacy?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 11:03:54 pm »

Crumpets go better with tea?
That reminds me, it has been like five hours since I last had a cup...

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:54 pm »

I'm running a tile set, got rid of [PET_EXOTIC] tags, and made a homebrew mod that allows beds, barrels and bins out of stone (I got the idea from a thread somewhere around here, which had a custom workshop that destroyed stone). I think it fits the established material use patterns better than forcing wooden furniture. Beds don't even move once installed (usually), for crying out loud, there's no reason they should be made out of wood.  And if dwarves can carry stone floodgates around stone bins and barrels should be (comparatively) easy as pie. I haven't tried any of the major mainstream mods yet.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 11:24:51 pm »

Crumpets go better with tea?
That reminds me, it has been like five hours since I last had a cup...

It's been two for me....  :-[

I use Genesis and many times [SPEED:1].

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 01:31:02 am »

I added 4 different metal alloys, each for specific neiches that I felt were needed, along with the processes needed to make them usable.

I added two different weapons, the 'battle spear' which is basically a slightly weaker spear and slightly weaker shortsword in one weapon, and the bolt caster, that fires large rocket propelled bolts, although the latter tends to never get used as making the ammunition is quite difficult.
Can you elaborate on these items? When you are at it, I'd really appreciate if you also go to my mod thread and comment on its features. It look like we have quite similar ideologies.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 02:40:14 am »

I added 4 different metal alloys, each for specific neiches that I felt were needed, along with the processes needed to make them usable.

I added two different weapons, the 'battle spear' which is basically a slightly weaker spear and slightly weaker shortsword in one weapon, and the bolt caster, that fires large rocket propelled bolts, although the latter tends to never get used as making the ammunition is quite difficult.
Can you elaborate on these items? When you are at it, I'd really appreciate if you also go to my mod thread and comment on its features. It look like we have quite similar ideologies.

Hah - well - it was in 'response' to your Fortress Defence that prompted me to add these particular items - I wanted to retain the hordes of seiging enemies, while giving back some of the dwarven metalurgical edge.

The four metals are:

Blue Steel - smelted in a smelter from pig iron, illmenite, and cobaltite in the prsence of chalk and carbon (coal), this steel alloy contains titanium azs an impurity.  It has the same stats as steel, but 1.5 times more
edge, as well as being a lovely cobalt blue colour.  I use it for edged weapons mostly.  Illmenite is sufficiently uncommon to make regular steel the choice for bulk armour.

Mithril - Smelted in a smelter from Rutile in the presence of bauxite, with a pyrolusite (magnesium) flame, this is as close as you can get to modeling a titanium smelt - I wasnt about to waste everyone's time making a 'fancy super smelter' as I figure it is a game and I can use my imagination to handwave away certain real world impracticalities.  This is Dwarf Fortress!  So my end product has the same stats as steel, but for the density (which is equal to aluminium) and max edge, which is again 1.5 times that of steel.  It winds up being great for light armours for weak dwarves.  Both Rutile and Pyrolusite are pretty rare, and so is this mithril - but - what makes it rarer still is a second reaction, using mithril + cinnabar (mercury)  heated in a kiln with an extra coal provided flame.  More hand waving to get around boring real world physics, and the end result is mithril cloth - in this form it can only be used for metal clothing, but it means you can make robes, hoods, cloaks and the like with cloth that has the stats of steel.

Titansteel - smelted in a smelter from regular steel, blue steel, and mithril cloth, given a chrome finish (chromite) and smelted using a pyrolusite flame, this is essentially a high grade titanium steel.  I rarely if ever get to be able to make this stuff, so I have no real idea if the numbers I made up for it are appropriate or not.  It is supposed to be about twice as good as steel, a far cry from adamantine of course.  In practice - well - who knows if I have the numbers right.

Neutronium.  An ugly reaction made by baking pitchblende in ash on a lead base - probably while a dwarf screams obscenities at it.  I was going to use the rough stats for depleted uranium for the end produ but I decided to bump its density up by about 60 pct.  In the raws I basically copied platinum and upped the density, while lowering its value and giving it a worrisome 'negative' dark colour.  The metal is there to give hammers and maces something to make them hopefully more effective.

As far as the weapons go - lets see:

The battlespear is more because I like the idea of using spears, but was always a little miffed that you could stab a goat for weeks and do little to it, and then a single hit with a short sword could cut it in half.  So I made a weapon that had both the stab and cut possibilities.  I think the end weapon is probably better than a short sword, due to the overall size being bigger and the length of the weapon being represented by a higher velocity - but it still falls short of an axe for cleaving.  As for being a spear - again it is a bigger weapon, but it's thrusing tip is a bit bigger too, so possibly doesnt penetrate as well.  Needless to say - in combat it does exactly what I want - stab things with nasty wounds, and then cut to the chase and cut them in half.

The Bolt caster - well - the weapon itself is basically a longer crossbow, with a bayonette for melee combat.  Can be made of wood or what ever like a crossbow.  But the ammo - that is made with a custom reaction using lead, brass, saltpeter, brimstone, and charcoal.  You get 20 bolts per reaction, and they weigh a massive amount.  The bolts themselves do blunt damage, so as to make them good in situations where crossbow bolts might not be so good, and also to make them bad in certain other limited situations.  They pack a whallop, but saltpeter and brimstone tend to e very rare - so usually you'd keep the bolt casters for your best marksdwarves who no longer need to train.  Oh - and there is a neutronium rocket bolt round available too - it is - insanely heavy.

usually though - Fortress Defence kills me before it is much of an issue.  I have discovered that if I have 20 or more dwarves when year 2 starts - I loose.  On the other hand - I refuse to use corridors of traps and danger rooms - so more fool me huh.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:44:53 am by Aranador »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 03:13:58 am »

くコ:彡

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:24 am »

Hah - well - it was in 'response' to your Fortress Defence that prompted me to add these particular items - I wanted to retain the hordes of seiging enemies, while giving back some of the dwarven metalurgical edge.FD mod isnt mine =|

The four metals are:
 -snip-

I'm not sure how viable these metal are, they sound very luck-based. If you get lucky and get them early, the game is in your favor and I'm really against the idea of having to rely on luck to get through sieges. Morever, dwarves already have the weapon quality advantage most of the time until the stronger races arrive, by which time (3rd or 4th year) you could have reliably reached the magma sea and grab the praise-the-miner stuff. Just my opinon.

As far as the weapons go - lets see:

The battlespear is more because I like the idea of using spears, but was always a little miffed that you could stab a goat for weeks and do little to it, and then a single hit with a short sword could cut it in half.  So I made a weapon that had both the stab and cut possibilities.  I think the end weapon is probably better than a short sword, due to the overall size being bigger and the length of the weapon being represented by a higher velocity - but it still falls short of an axe for cleaving.  As for being a spear - again it is a bigger weapon, but it's thrusing tip is a bit bigger too, so possibly doesnt penetrate as well.  Needless to say - in combat it does exactly what I want - stab things with nasty wounds, and then cut to the chase and cut them in half.
These sound like war scythes. I'm not sure if the AI understand to use them as you have described tho, but neat idea.
Spoiler: war scythes IRL (click to show/hide)

The Bolt caster - well - the weapon itself is basically a longer crossbow, with a bayonette for melee combat.  Can be made of wood or what ever like a crossbow.  But the ammo - that is made with a custom reaction using lead, brass, saltpeter, brimstone, and charcoal.  You get 20 bolts per reaction, and they weigh a massive amount.  The bolts themselves do blunt damage, so as to make them good in situations where crossbow bolts might not be so good, and also to make them bad in certain other limited situations.  They pack a whallop, but saltpeter and brimstone tend to e very rare - so usually you'd keep the bolt casters for your best marksdwarves who no longer need to train.  Oh - and there is a neutronium rocket bolt round available too - it is - insanely heavy.
Amusingly enough I've also replaced the regular bows with something similar

I have discovered that if I have 20 or more dwarves when year 2 starts - I lose.
How? By first winder you are almost guaranteed to have 20 dwarves and get sieged by 1-2 strangler wrestler squads but these guys are a joke. By 2nd spring you can count on getting sieged by stranglers again and likely along an another race. However, by this time you should have also got the large spring immigrant wave and bunches of metal weapons quickly produced during the winter. You'd quite likely lose alot of recruits if get double sieged but the wipe out rate probably isnt as high as you are making it out to be.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 08:26:23 am »

There is nothing wrong with being a grammar Nazi.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7