Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Personal mods?  (Read 6306 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Personal mods?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 01:00:12 pm »

Display case, changed all [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET]... I'm sure I have other mods, but I don't remember what they are.

Oh, I changed the plural of "puzzlebox" to "puzzleboxen". I also tried to add a new toy to the list, but it doesn't show up anywhere.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 01:10:24 pm »

I wonder if enough people post the same stuff here, if Toady will notice and tweak the next releases to include some of this.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 02:32:37 pm »

This is why I went back to vanilla war hammers, as the modded ones worked too much like spears or picks.
Would doubling or tripling up on blunt attacks persuade the wielder to use them more often?

I've removed exotic pets, modded in blind cave turtles (they have eyes, unlike vanilla blind cave creatures), and added a gem to galena clusters to make the production of raw crystal glass easier.
In 40d I had a metal that was somewhat better than steel, and once I have a reason to I'll bring it back. The 'armour wins ties' aspect of the material system makes steel claws and teeth not so effective, and giving them the next metal up is just plain silly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:24 pm »

I make elves, dwarves, and goblins visitable in Adventure Mode. That's about it, and it only applies to the most recent releases. I've heard good things about a number of available mods but haven't tried them.

There are a number of things I've considered attempting, though.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:23 pm »

I made eating/carving/butchering sentients acceptable, made various creatures common domestics (elephants for example), removed aquifers from most soils, changed material value of metals and made dwarves live slightly longer.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »

I tend to see if I can make things a little harder. Cross bows and bows now use the 'misc object user' rather then hammer and sword respecitvly, helms now only hae 65% coverage, all sorts of little things to stop the dwarfs from being too over powered.

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 05:47:21 pm »

I also mod the nobles extensively so that broken positions like the Dungeon Master, Hammerer, and Tax Collector actually appear, and so that I can organize a priesthood whose members are appointed by me and who replace the mayor's counseling responsibility.
I would love to know how this is done, but checking the modding forum just seems to turn up a lot of ways to appoint a nonfunctional Dungeon Master.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 06:12:57 pm »

Hmm - lets see:

Currently I have applied Fortress Defence, although only the minos from the challenge pack in addition to the 'regular' enemies.  This is a very fun mod - and very hard.

I have applied Higher Learning - which is quite a nicely designed mod rather than the cheesy hack I thought it might have been.

I have applied a 'sawmill' mod, that I then went and modified a fair bit, such as allowing a seed to be returned when processing the wood plant.

I have removed a lot of soil and stone layer types, more for simplicity.

Any mineral that could not appear because the layer type was gone (Aluvial layers specifically, but also the layers I removed myself) were then moved to a still existing layer (alluvial went to soil)

I canned aquifiers.

I added 4 different metal alloys, each for specific neiches that I felt were needed, along with the processes needed to make them usable.

I added two different weapons, the 'battle spear' which is basically a slightly weaker spear and slightly weaker shortsword in one weapon, and the bolt caster, that fires large rocket propelled bolts, although the latter tends to never get used as making the ammunition is quite difficult.

I allowed dwarves to have consistant access to robes and high boots and a couple of other bits and pieces.

I made cats only come in males - not cat splosions

I removed the exotic tag from animals

I allowed nerve damage to heal, albiet very slowly.

Fortress Defence still kills me a lot - but it is a lot of fun playing war!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:15:05 pm by Aranador »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 08:09:24 pm »

I am a dirty cheater:

Dwarves, Dogs, and Cats are all SPEED:1 and GRASSTRAMPLE:0

Female cats are AQUATIC (so as to air drown upon entering map, I know I could remove the entire caste, but this is way more fun... migrant have arrived!, then moments later 'kitten has drown!' spam).

That is about it tho, everything else is vanilla (besides the tileset).
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:45 pm »

I made a custom tileset by Frankenstiening together a few others at first for the icons I liked most, then went and made several custom tiles.

I created custom castes for the "dwarves" that made them a more cosmopoliton civilization made of dwarves, minotaurs, sidhe, shapeshifting giant spiders, and lamia living together with a large number of changes in stats and personality quirks per race (spiders are superintelligent with ADHD, lamia are strong but tire quickly, and smart and artistically talented, but lazy), and made some custom tiles for that, too.

I made some custom reactions and crops, as well.

I was going to go making a more expansive mod that created its own mythos, more involved politics, plus things like laquerware and laquer bushes and such sort of ways to expand the industry of the game, sort of a Genesis Mod project, but got too involved in working out things on the Suggestions Forum, and got distracted.

Basically, I like DF more for what it can be made into than what it actually is, in some ways.  I'm not really content with the sort of generic LotR fantasy story, but like mythology in general, so would prefer to be able to rig the game to be a bigger kitchen sink of fantasy components.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 08:47:52 pm »

I have taken a real shine to Genesis, especially since I feel like it offers better roleplaying immersion.

Other than that, I tweak the announcements to pause-and-center when someone dies.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 08:49:30 pm »

creature_nightmare

[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:NIGHTMARE]
    [DESCRIPTION:A monstrous horse comprised of an abominable mix of flesh, metal and flame. Its mane, eyes and hooves are constantly ablaze.]
    [...]
    [a lot of stuff]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »

I think next rebang, I'll be adding the higher learning mod and maybe a few very hostile civs.  I want to see what happens when two sieges collide above my base.  Being, well, a pervert, I really like naga/lamia, so I'll probably work them in somehow.  Making tail-guards would be a pain, since I don't know how to make them equipable by one species/caste.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »

Behold my MASTERPIECE!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »

most of my custom reaction mods are adventure mode friendly, though I don't know if you guys allow hacks to be mention with mods but I love to see how well my fort would last if every one who died rose from their last spot they where seen alive. This pretty much an FUN way to end it all
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
hopefully those folks in the zombie mod group would pick this up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7