Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Personal mods?  (Read 6314 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Personal mods?
« on: January 31, 2011, 03:04:16 am »

What personal mods have you made to your game?  I've removed aquifers, modded ethics for butchering sentients, added the "display case" so that I can put things like large cut gems into room value, and made dwarves near-immortal with 300-year lifespans.  I've made no real sweeping, game-changing mods (yet) but plan to make a few copy-folders containing full conversion mods.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Personal mods?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 04:11:40 am »

My personal favorite is modding the playable race to only live for ten years and have litters of 3-4 children who grow up in a single year.

I then created these:

I also mod the nobles extensively so that broken positions like the Dungeon Master, Hammerer, and Tax Collector actually appear, and so that I can organize a priesthood whose members are appointed by me and who replace the mayor's counseling responsibility.

Edit: I also happen to use a mainstream mod. Can you guess which one?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:46:53 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:27:05 am »

my personal mod is no longer personal so I have nothing to say on the matter  :'(
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:45:10 am »

I suppose I should add, if you're using a mainstream mod, do say so.  Basically, what makes your DF not vanilla?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:47:33 am »

In that case, phoebus + FD + IM v0.15
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:44 am »

The only mod I ever made was adding llamas to the creature files.

I have an obsession with them.

Then I ended up butchering them and making biscuits out of their meat, go figure
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:29:57 am »

civilisation forge's got tremendously expanded geology, while genesis in another hand, has greatly enhanced botany.
sorta want to bring them together a bit, keeping genesis's great workshops and civ setting though, so far the works i've done...is still bit wacky, but playable.
also like to tweak with creature balancing, make game slightly harder here and easier there to suit my own tasty XD

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:30:29 am »

No aquifers, and I hate brown rock so rocks like schist and mudstone are magenta. I'm also planning on putting in a gnome caravan that arrives in winter and bears booze, wood, leather and more booze.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:02:59 am »

I'm enjoying the Genesis mod. The attention to variety, while still keeping balance, is quite nice.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 08:35:08 am »

I modify the material raws so that horn, hoof, chitin, and scale count as shell for the purpose of strange moods.  This is less necessary now that shell is rarely called for in strange moods, but was a lifesaver before that change.

I also modify the material raws to make blood an ingredient in cooking.  This lets my dwarves use the barrels of blood that trade caravans keep bringing to make blood sausage.

I mod the humans to have trade liaisons again, and the elves to have diplomats and caravan guards.

I also change all [PET_EXOTIC] creatures to [PET], since the dungeon master is still broken.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:17:50 am »

Couple of custom weapons; a bec-de-corbin to give hammerdwarves some anti-armour capabilities, truncheons so I can kit my Fortress Guard out with less-lethals and arming swords for a bit of flavour. Crossbows have been modified to carry bayonets, and dwarves can now forge longswords.

Elves bring caravan guards and are much better armed, with maces and truncheons instead of wooden swords. Humans have monarchs, dukes etc in the same manner as dwarves, and the ETHIC tags have been tweaked a bit to make it less likely that anyone gets wiped out in worldgen.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 11:30:06 am »

My game is actually heading towards being a proper mod although it's sort of growing randomly as I think of other cool things I want to add.

Removed aquifers because I'm a wimp
Removed skill rust, see above

added High-Elven civ (slightly larger than regular elves, use steel, Super Hard Mode if you piss them off which I like to do)
added new plants including stuff that only grows in deeper caverns
added dwarf-only livestock (rock worms, giant pack snails, goliath tarantulas...)
added critters to biodiversity-poor biomes
added new and more deadly cavern critters
added critters my insane friend suggested (tree squid, dire rabbits...)
added Guardian Dragon megabeast (chinese dragon: flies, spits jade, attacks with gusts of wind)
added "fossil" small cluster stone
added more instruments and toys

A lot of my stuff is stuff I used to have back in 40d and am only now figuring out how to recreate in 2010.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 11:34:27 am »

Couple of custom weapons: (we use colons to start lists, while semicolons are more closely related to periods in usage) a bec-de-corbin to give hammerdwarves some anti-armour capabilities

I've tried giving my war hammers a spike, sort of like what you see on Wikipedia when you put in "war hammer", but they ended up using said spike exclusively or almost exclusively in the arena. Have you been able to get them to at least sometimes use the dull side of their hammers?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 11:45:09 am »

Semi-colons are what I use when I'm not sure if I should be using a comma or a full colon, which none of my English teachers ever saw fit to object to up to degree level, and your avatar is in exceptionally questionable taste. Kindly acquire a sense of proportion.

And no, unfortunately; they seem to use the pointy end exclusively. I think the AI is set to prefer edged attacks over blunt ones so we don't have dwarves clouting each other with the flats of their axes every other attack.

Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »

Semi-colons are what I use when I'm not sure if I should be using a comma or a full colon, which none of my English teachers ever saw fit to object to up to degree level,

Here are some pointers on the correct use of colons. I'll be the first to admit that punctuation is hardly very clear cut when it comes to rules, and when I ever presume to correct anyone I mean no offense by it. I expect the same from others, as long as they refrain from being dicks about it. That's how people learn.

and your avatar is in exceptionally questionable taste. Kindly acquire a sense of proportion.

People like me are jokingly referred to as Grammar Nazis on the Internet, thus I found an avatar like that to be fitting. I guess I'll change it when I get bored with it or a mod tells me to.

And no, unfortunately; they seem to use the pointy end exclusively.

This is why I went back to vanilla war hammers, as the modded ones worked too much like spears or picks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7