Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.05a)  (Read 7355 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.05a)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 06:22:14 pm »

Sounds tasty! Can't wait to see what else you have to offer here.

Maybe release them on an as-completed basis.  I would only separate out different groups that can work on their own as mini-mods (minerals and weapons/armor spring to mind).

Also... language file? I am intrigue.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-mod: Mithril (v0.02)
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »

Mithril is found in small clusters within any igneous rock, or as veins within obsidian.  It appears as a distinct reddish-purple chunk of rock called "raw mithril," which produces a brilliant blood-red stone (if you don't like the color, just change it :P).  This stone is a reagent for mithril bars - a weapon and armor grade metal of similar properties to steel, but slightly lighter, more valuable (mat value of 70) and without the prerequisite reactions of flux and fuel.  This makes mithril a slightly better choice for blades, while a slightly poorer choice for mauls, hammers, maces, and bolts, but these differences are fairly minor.  And by "minor" I really mean closer to the difference between iron and bronze than the difference between adamantine and anything else.

To balance out the fact that Mithril does not require flux or additional fuel, raw mithril contains only a small amount of usable mithril.  Raw mithril must be first smelted into impure mithril bars, which are brittle and useless as weapons or armor (and carry a respectable, but not astronomical, value of 20).  Four of these bars must be smelted together to obtain enough pure metal for one bar of weapon-grade mithril.  Thus, it requires no less than four stones of raw mithril to produce a single weapon-grade mithril bar, meaning that mass-production of mithril is far less practical than that of steel, and mithril is meant to be used for elite weapons and armor due to the extreme difficulty in obtaining large quantities of it.  That being said, even on maps that can support a large steel industry, Mithril is still attractive due to its steel-like armor and weapons properties combined with its striking color and material value, which is a distant second only to adamantine.

It is always interesting to see what other people have done and how they have done it.

Like yourself - I have been playing and enjoying the wonderful fortress defence mod - and like yourself, I felt the need to give the dwarves back their metalurgical edge.

For myself - my mithril exists alongside my blue steel and titansteel.

Blue steel is, in my mod, a steel alloy made from pig iron, ilmenite ore (which contains titanium) and cobaltite.  I give it the same properties as regular steel, but it holds a better edge (1.5 x that of vanilla steel).  Ilmenite is sufficiently rare that blue steel is best used for edged weapons.

My mithril, on the other hand, is made by smelting Rutile (the other titanium ore) in the presence of bauxite using a magnesium flame (pyrolusite).  Both rutile and pyrolusite are sufficiently rare that mithril is rare too.  However, my mythril is not as good as yours - it has the same basic stats as vanilla steel, but with the better edge like my blue steel, and the same density as aluminium.  This makes it good for light armours.  But the real value for my mithril is in a second reaction, where mithril bars are converted into mithril fabric with the aid of cinnabar (mercury).  Cinnabar tends to be common enough, but the conversion rate for mithril fabric into garments of mithril help make this sufficiently rare.  Still - now you can give your dwarves extra protection.

Mytitansteel is mroe or less my end game metal.  It is an alloy of normal steel, blue steel, and mithril cloth, treated with chrome (chromate) and again prepared with a magnesium flame.  It is basically a high quality stainless titanium steel.  Alas I am unsure of what properties to really give this metal to make it 'sufficiently good' but I have made it only somewhat better than steel, rather than half way between steel and adamantine (which is far and away much better than steel)

I also have Neutronium in my mod - basically a super dense metal, it has roughly the same stats as platinum (which is about where depleted uranium would be)) but I cheesed up the density beyond that to be about 60 pct denser again.  It is pretty much to try and make blunt weapons more effective, and it is somewhat successful at this.  Reaction wise, dwarves make it with some lead, pitchblende, and ash (because we need more reasons for ash :P )

Anyway - is it balanced?  I really dont know - fortress defence still tends to kill me before I can really make any of this stuff.  But all the reactions are there and work, and arena testing shows results that I like.

sorry to ramble - but I just identified with your own thought processes on why the game needed the metals added.  Enjoy your fortress defence :)

Wow! I've also got my own mythril mod, but my version of mithril is made by diluting adamantine with aluminum.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 [2]