Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do you imagine your dwarfs to look like?  (Read 6655 times)

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you imagine your dwarfs to look like?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 09:27:52 am »

sorry for the size...can't use tinypic on my computer for some bizarre reason , and I can't be arsed to find out an alternative.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it got...kinda butchered by the Jpeg reformatting or whatever..for some reason the colors are messed up too. But whatever, just zoom out or something.
I'm starting a long project portraying as many races as I can get my hands on in the DF universe : O
hope you like : )
Sorry to tout my own gun here, but  this is how I look at them all. Tolkien-esque, only more like sturdier, slightly shorter humans.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 11:56:31 am »

I think I just quote myself.
I, myself, see DF dwarves as combination of TES Dwemers (2 and half metes tall and strong enough to throw a horse half across the map), Arcanum Dwarves (Stone and Shape. Stone have Shape but Shape defines Stone. You puny humans don't comprehend the philosophy of our people) and Warhhammer 40k Adeptus Mechanicus (Techology is holy, you must worship it) and Orcs (subconscious understanding how to make things. Half of those thing only working because they believe it should).
Also, this:
Also, while looking on picture, try to remember that he is 2.5 meters tall. HIS HAMMER IS BIGGER THAN YOU.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:26:25 pm by anqxyr »
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 12:36:32 pm »

I learnt to draw dwarves from the wonderfully helpful sketches in the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook. Consequently they look somewhat like that. Dwarves appear to be able to able to exert torque at least as well as a human, but are only half the size (in DF, so I gather, I tend to imagine them as being being about four feet tall, about 2/3 the size). That means they'd have to be very muscular to compensate whilst still being as strong. Also, they can lift and carry anything, no matter how heavy. So, I picture them as being very muscular. Dwarf women don't have beards, but dwarf boys do.

This is a picture I recently drew of an axedwarf;

Also, Dwemer 2.5 metres tall? What? They're about the same size if not smaller than Bosmer. A metre I'd guess.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »

We need more dwarf women in this thread.

Sans beards, thx  :P
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »

Also, Dwemer 2.5 metres tall? What? They're about the same size if not smaller than Bosmer. A metre I'd guess.

"As previously mentioned, the Dwemer were no shorter than any other elven race, despite being classically described as such. Their physical appearance is hard to judge, as the last living Dwemer lives bloated and deformed by Corprus, and the only other visual examples come from Dwarven Spectres found on Vvardenfell. It can be deduced, however, that long beards were popular amongst the lost elves, and they preferred heavy metal armors and robes. Their remaining features could be described similarly to that of the other elven races, as no specific information exists." http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dwemer#Appearance
There where hints somewhere in lore that dwemers where even taller than other races, but I can't find it right now.
Maybe I'm wrong of course. But I always imagined them this way.
Also, did you see dwemer ruins? Did you notice how high is the ceiling and how big all the doors are?
Bosmers are about 1.8 meters tall.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:26 pm »

Let me extend this question, since everyone seems to imagine dwarfs roughly the same.

What do you imagine your dwarfs to look like culturally? What cultures, fictional or real life, do you draw inspiration from? Do these choices show in your fort layout or materials? Does it show in what your military use?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »

"As previously mentioned, the Dwemer were no shorter than any other elven race, despite being classically described as such. Their physical appearance is hard to judge, as the last living Dwemer lives bloated and deformed by Corprus, and the only other visual examples come from Dwarven Spectres found on Vvardenfell. It can be deduced, however, that long beards were popular amongst the lost elves, and they preferred heavy metal armors and robes. Their remaining features could be described similarly to that of the other elven races, as no specific information exists." http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dwemer#Appearance
There where hints somewhere in lore that dwemers where even taller than other races, but I can't find it right now.
Maybe I'm wrong of course. But I always imagined them this way.
Also, did you see dwemer ruins? Did you notice how high is the ceiling and how big all the doors are?
Bosmers are about 1.8 meters tall.

1.8 metres tall? I'm 1.85 metres tall, and I'm above average in height. Bosmeri are way shorter than an average human, certainly no more than 1.5 metres on average. Dwemer spectres are way shorter than most player characters in Morrowind, I've never got into a Wood Elf character but I'd guess they'd be about the same height.

You can't judge a race's size entirely by their architecture. Many Victorian houses in the UK have conspicuously high ceilings, but people at that time where shorter than they are today. Anyway, dwarfs like needlessly high ceilings. See \/

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kelenyche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 04:07:06 pm »

I like to imagine a bunch of Oglaf dwarves running around, plus beards.  They just have the perfect attitude; I have a sneaking suspicion the writer plays DF

http://www.oglaf.com/bliss/
http://www.oglaf.com/obituator/
http://www.oglaf.com/cavalcade/
http://www.oglaf.com/skulls/

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 04:35:08 pm »

1.8 metres tall? I'm 1.85 metres tall, and I'm above average in height. Bosmeri are way shorter than an average human, certainly no more than 1.5 metres on average. Dwemer spectres are way shorter than most player characters in Morrowind, I've never got into a Wood Elf character but I'd guess they'd be about the same height.

You can't judge a race's size entirely by their architecture. Many Victorian houses in the UK have conspicuously high ceilings, but people at that time where shorter than they are today. Anyway, dwarfs like needlessly high ceilings. See \/

I searched a bit, and I can't find anything to neither prove nor contradict your words. You may very well be right. It's been some time since I last played any TES game. I remembered Bosmers to be average height, but memory is not my strong part.
With regard to dwemers, well, I think since they all gone, there is nothing that can be done to prove one's point of view. I choose to imagine them huge. I think it suits them. After all, they were using god's heart as the power source.
On this I think we should stop derailing this thread.
What do you imagine your dwarfs to look like culturally? What cultures, fictional or real life, do you draw inspiration from? Do these choices show in your fort layout or materials? Does it show in what your military use?
In my case its inverted. I dig and build and craft whatever I feel like at the moment, and then like to imagine how the resulting society looks from the view point of the dwarves. Usually it looks like very sexist and cruel middle age communistic monarchy, with said monarch being completely insane. So nothing out ordinary here, yeah.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:36:51 pm by anqxyr »

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 05:05:49 pm »

I searched a bit, and I can't find anything to neither prove nor contradict your words. You may very well be right. It's been some time since I last played any TES game. I remembered Bosmers to be average height, but memory is not my strong part.
With regard to dwemers, well, I think since they all gone, there is nothing that can be done to prove one's point of view. I choose to imagine them huge. I think it suits them. After all, they were using god's heart as the power source.
On this I think we should stop derailing this thread.

Never stop derailing.  You could see the dwemer though the spectres and Yagrum, who had normally sized arms and head.  They were shown to be mathematicians and architechts and powerful engineers, and the game reason for them being called dwarves is that a supposed race of "giants" called them that because they were smaller than them.  I sort of imagine my dwarves like the dwemer, though, if less Assyrian and more relatable, but still pounding away at the mathematics and filling everything with magma and pipes.  Also, I played a bosmer.  They're shortest.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

When I think of Dwarven infants, I see a beard with eyes running around, or just strapped to its parent's back.

Also, I've always pictured the Dwemers as looking like a cross between Dark Elves and Red Guards.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:19:44 pm by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 07:30:38 pm »

Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »

Well, I just got a legendary bonecrafter child who created an artifact earring out of a granite block, some gems, some cloth, and 14 elephant bones.

So basically I now envision them as extremely short and dragging 100 pounds of freakish elephant jewelry around using their ears.
Pages: 1 [2] 3