Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sky High: Revenge of Armok's Beard (4500 levels of tl;dr and spoilers!)  (Read 3868 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sky High: Revenge of Armok's Beard (tl;dr and spoilers!)
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:45 pm »

In a 3x3 embark, you could mine all of that, and build a floor 10 Z levels thick across the entire map, made of pure adamantine.  That's counting the 5 squares that are "too close to the edge".

You'd still have enough left over to equip all of your dwarves with pure blue clothes and armor.

Floors can be placed anywhere, including the very last square of the embark. I once covered my entire embark area(which was flat) with marble block floor. Yes, I had a lot of marble.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 05:23:19 pm »

There. Parameter file and directions to the location are posted. Have at it!
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 05:24:53 pm »

Oh my god. Nearly 200k units of adamantine, kinda safe from hell? I will embark on this site and kill goblins and elves with adamantine cave-ins! Hell yea!

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:01 pm »

It sort of looks to me that what is going on is the world gen spawns the initial world, and creates Hell and the Adamantine Spires to breach it, then as severe erosion occurs, while the rest of the rock gets removed, the Adamantine stays behind, as it's so hard to do anything to, leaving the spire behind.

My guess for the height is that as layers erode off, Hell is lowered, so it don't breach the surface, and the top floor of Hell contains the Adamantine Plugs that path into it, thus extending the plugs for as many erosion events occur.

Harry Voyager

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »

I can't get the world you have, but it's really similar. What year is it at your embark?

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 05:50:35 pm »

I can't get the world you have, but it's really similar. What year is it at your embark?

It starts out at spring 1051.

Although I just realised that since this thing was a spur-of-the-moment experiment following a failed project, I've forgotten to return the raws to their default state. I don't know how removing aquifers and tagging all soil except for ocean types as sand would have an effect, but there you go.

Should it ever become necessary, I do have a pre-embark copy of the world hanging around. Though it's riddled with all sorts of megaproject cheats - some of which can be removed, and some that can't.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 05:51:40 pm »

Upload that - !!Science!! has shown that these types of things generally can't be reproduced.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »

Upload that - !!Science!! has shown that these types of things generally can't be reproduced.

Done and done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sky High: Revenge of Armok's Beard (4500 levels of tl;dr and spoilers!)
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 10:41:03 am »

Wow, i would have figured such an enormous spire would have more than 200k addy.
Maybe i should stop modding adamantium to appear in whole layers :|
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 03:17:36 pm »

dig it out at z 300 and watch what happens?
i like goats

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 07:00:11 pm »

4/4 crashes on embark so far, i will keep trying!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:45 pm »

Providing only the settings/seeds tends to produce different results on different operating systems, FYI. The only guaranteed way to get the exact same map is to upload the whole region folder.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 07:30:20 pm »

I bet it can be seen from miles around... probably anywhere in the world you can see the gleaming beacon of armok.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:25 pm »

Just found a pretty awesome embark. Yes, there's an above ground adamantine spire, but reaching even higher toward the heavens than that? A demonic fortress. Over 100 z levels above the ground. Also, a floating cavern. When I unpaused, the cavern of course fell, but the volcano I embarked on also sort of collapsed on itself or something... It's currently draining into the magma sea and eating my fps. Also, I dug into the adamantine and breached hell, but the demons didn't really do anything... They just stayed inside their tube and didn't attack anybody.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:32 pm »

Providing only the settings/seeds tends to produce different results on different operating systems, FYI. The only guaranteed way to get the exact same map is to upload the whole region folder.

yeah, im just trying to embark using the region folder he uploaded.
Pages: 1 [2] 3