Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sky High: Revenge of Armok's Beard (4500 levels of tl;dr and spoilers!)  (Read 3869 times)

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would never insinuate that the gods are drunk while shaping a world. Indeed, I would like to suggest that they were stone cold sober for Mon Olzul. Only severely shaking hands could explain some of the... ah... geological oddities I've found so far.

If it's not a plug of stone piercing all the way down through hell to rest against the glowing pit at the very bottom of the world, it's a plateau of semi-molten rock, atop which a hundred levels' worth of magma waits to pour onto an unsuspecting world below (those poor hippos!).

The place where Mon Olzul divided by zero, however, is the site of Azizmafol.

The first oddity is the small strip of apparently floating ground which collapses soon enough.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The true worth of the site, however, lies to the north. Rising from the summit of the mountain, it is obscured from mortal eyes, but raise your eyes high enough, and you will look upon the divine.

So yeah. How was your day?

To no one's surprise, this is the result of pfutzing around with height variables and erosion.

This is a 3x3 embark on a portion of the map that extends down to an unremarkable -1 z-levels. Although the magma sea begins at z 79, which means you get the three cavern layers in pretty rapid succession.

The adamantine spire clears the mountain at z 135, and corkscrews its way up until at least z 4500 – at which points my fingers were killing me and I quit.

As it is surrounded by a block of air designated as cavern, the only way I've been able to get to the above-ground portions of the spire has been to sort of sneak up on it with digging and construction from outside the ”dark inside” zone. I have no idea if this will yield consistent results, or if breaching the caverns will reveal the aboveground cavern areas as well.

I have no idea what goes on to the north of this embark, as trying to extend the embark area into that region just causes the game to crash. As I mentioned above, there are floating tunnel floors just to the west. And immediately to the southeast is a plateau of semi-molten rock that extends up at least as high as the adamantine spire (I was originally tracking it on my first embark on this site). Experience with this world tells me that there will be at least 50 – 100 layers on the top of that plateau that will be 50/50 SMR and magma for additional fps death on unpause. Although magma falls turned out to be quite pretty.

If anyone wants it, I will upload the world with directions to points of interest. Although that may have to wait until tomorrow.

ETA: So. Boredom. Finally got around to checking. The spire ends at z 4552. It looks open at the top, but if any demon manages to fly that high without giving themselves a heart attack in the process, I figure they've earned the right to lay waste to the world.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:31:17 pm by Virodhi »
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sky High: Revenge of Armok's Beard (tl;dr and spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »

The Travellers Guide to Mon Olzul

This all started as an experiment to see if I could force beach cliffs on the ocean. They were abundant back when .31 launched, but I've had no luck with them since. So I created a world to my preferences in Perfect World, maxed out height variance and turned off erosion and...well...

I don't know if the rest of the world is this interesting, as I've been completely distracted by the abundant weirdness in just one small region.

This is also where the two surviving dwarf civilisations hang out. Clearly, they have decided the area is sacred. Or something.

So far, my exploration has followed this stream. All 1x1 lakes discovered so far are tiny, and surrounded with interesting features – mostly of the SMR kind, though there was that one location where you had a decent-sized square of stone follow an adamantine vein all the way down through hell. I haven't finished checking out all potential sites yet, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there's an adamantine spire still out there that will make mine look like a toothpick.

Extend to the north and the game keeps crashing - though that may just require a little stubborness to get around. One tile to the west are floating tunnel floors, and directly to the southeast is the SMR plateau.

The spire site has been known to occasionally crash on embark, so try, try again.

The Perfect World settings made the parameters too lengthy to post here. .txt file available on the file depot.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3739

Pre-embark world available on the depot.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3740
NB: Megaproject cheats abound. No-need dwarves, and smelters that can be used to make nearly anything, among other things.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:13:46 pm by Virodhi »
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:23:05 pm »

Yes.  Yes.  One Thousand Times Yes!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 03:48:01 pm »

Run dfprospector! We must know how much adamantine this enormous spire contains!
くコ:彡

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »

Does any one know how high the last Admantine spire went.

EDIT:Never mind, I checked and it was 2212 z-levels.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 03:55:45 pm by Deviled »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:55:22 pm »

2212-ish levels, I think.
くコ:彡

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 03:56:36 pm »

2212-ish levels, I think.
Dangit posted while I was editing. But we now have a taller one I think.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:02:07 pm »

Run DFReveal and DFFluids, find the point where the spire's base is at HFS, and add an obsidian plug, then mine out the entire spire!  Macros will help when you start mass-assigning staircases and channel commands.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 04:06:25 pm »

Run dfprospector! We must know how much adamantine this enormous spire contains!

Prospector report:

193791 units raw adamantine ...and +800k slade, though that's less surprising.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 04:09:56 pm »

In a 3x3 embark, you could mine all of that, and build a floor 10 Z levels thick across the entire map, made of pure adamantine.  That's counting the 5 squares that are "too close to the edge".

You'd still have enough left over to equip all of your dwarves with pure blue clothes and armor.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 04:40:09 pm »

Quick question: what is needed in an upload. The region, yes, but does the worldgen file need to be included as well?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 04:42:50 pm »

Just the parameters and seeds.  Open your init folder, and find the world_gen file, or something similar, and find the world you used to generate it.  Copy that whole section of code.  Anyone else who uses that, should get an identical (or near enough) world.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 05:02:45 pm »

I have one and only one thought.

Tales of Symphonia Tower of Salvation.

DO IT.

EDIT: Or post the save so I can DO IT.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 05:04:33 pm »

lol, tower of salvation...  That might be worth looking at.  Get it in Stonesense too!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 05:07:21 pm »

lol, tower of salvation...  That might be worth looking at.  Get it in Stonesense too!

I fully intend to make this happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3