Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: defending the burrows  (Read 401 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
defending the burrows
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:43:45 pm »

Since my military likes to run outside every once in a while (even when I give them a move command), i was wondering if ordering them to defend a burrow would remedy this.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: defending the burrows
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:46:12 pm »

If ordered to defend a burrow, then they stay inside that burrow until they find a target.  If  it's a large burrow, say, the entire fort, and a grimlin comes up from a cavern, then they'll know about it and rush from the surface down to the grimlin.  It's a good way of making sure there's absolutely no hostiles within a certain area.  If you've got open cavern entrances, then it's pretty much vital to have at least a few full-time fort defenders.  Do note though, that once a dwarf spots an enemy, it ignores all other orders.  If a babysnatcher walks into your burrow, and your dwarves go after it, and the snatcher flees, they'll chase it outside the burrow.  The only way to cancel an existing attack job is to remove them from active duty, usually by changing the squad's alert status to "Inactive" and then manually canceling their orders via the squad menu.  This puts them on civilian status instantly, and causes them to run away from any enemy like any regular dwarf.