Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 47248 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »

About the combat system: I dislike how armor doesn't play any role when attacking, or weapons while defending. In particular, it suspends disbelief that a dude with a machinegun is the ultimate defense unit just because he has a kickass armor (or viceversa, that a jeep with a quantum gun manages to destroy anything in combat despite the fact it has a cardboard frame.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 12:13:28 am »

About the combat system: I dislike how armor doesn't play any role when attacking, or weapons while defending. In particular, it suspends disbelief that a dude with a machinegun is the ultimate defense unit just because he has a kickass armor (or viceversa, that a jeep with a quantum gun manages to destroy anything in combat despite the fact it has a cardboard frame.

Anything except MINDWORMS. Armies of native life for the win. I liked to play Lal and out-Deirdre Deirdre. The other exploity thing was, if I remember right, helicopters, wasn't it? Which could attack something like 20 times in a row or something like that per turn. I think I gave those psionic weapons too.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:41 am »

Yes, choppers' multiple attacks were broken. Particularily when combined with chemical weapons, which meant that a single chopper could wipe out a city.

Native life wasnt particularily broken, IMO, it was just a different combat system and acknowledged as such. It wasn't particularily game-breaking, as going for regular weaponry was normally a better option. It could work to get around a tech gap, but keeping green and developing the fungus farming teches was a chore in itself.

Clean reactors were broken too, IMO, insofar that unlimited unsupported units broke the game's supply system. I think I modded them out of my game, in fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 02:01:34 am »

The mind worms is basicaly what gives you any chance against technologicaly overpowered enemy, if it's atleast pre-boil, than it's gonna do real damage on attacks.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2011, 03:13:26 am »

Civ IV modders also made a ... well Civ IV mod set in Alpha Centauri, called Planetfall.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/planetfall

:D
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 03:21:07 am »

I know that, it's a great mod, but doesn't match AC even remotely. I'd rather play an old game than reskined CIV4 :).

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 03:26:42 am »

I never got into the original name as a young teenager - It felt too complex with all the unit workshop choices etc..

But Planetfall felt really good when I started playing it a couple of years ago - but I might be inclined to try out the original soon. The ingame voicing and general atmosphere (Lore, tech tree etc..) is awesome.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 03:41:27 am »

Yeah, Planetfall is too different. It's not SMAC, it's a SMAC tribute. But it's programmed really well. So as a different game which is related to SMAC, it's a really nice mod :). Maniac is a very dedicated modder.

I know that, it's a great mod, but doesn't match AC even remotely. I'd rather play an old game than reskined CIV4 :).
It's not just "reskinned". Many SMAC aspects were integrated. Of course not in the original manner, but it's VERY different from Civ4.

It has psi combat, different upkeep and food mechanic, equipment and tons of other stuff which was never in Civ4. Saying that it's a "reskinning" is unfair. Maniac changed a huge part of DLL code.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:43:18 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:28 am »

The unofficial patch wouldn't have helped with the original CDs since they came with a 16 bit installer, and those don't work on the 64 bit systems. Hence why I got the 10th anniversary edition. It's a matter of installing the game for me, and anyone else with a 64 bit OS.

SID MEIER'S ALPHA CENTAURI
README.TXT 1.0I
1/4/98

thats what i got installing right now, and im using win7 home premium x64.

edit: tHE GAME WORKS!!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:54:48 am by Tellemurius »

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:26 am »

well, there is one reason to play alien crossfire...

widescreens :(

how to
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alien_Crossfire

problems in vanilla alpha centaury
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11228

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2011, 10:36:13 am »

To be honest there is no reason not to play crossfire, as I'm fairly certain you can turn off anything you don't want.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2011, 11:03:44 am »

Yeah, that's what I usually do :). It's just sad that they failed the deliver the same quality as the original, but it has quite a few important fixes and nice additions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2011, 11:10:27 am »

Yeah, that's what I usually do :). It's just sad that they failed the deliver the same quality as the original, but it has quite a few important fixes and nice additions.

I'm not sure either way to be honest, it's fun to play but bit feel like they have upset the balance a little in ways that are hard to just avoid exploiting. I guess your right in that as an expansion it should be good enough you always use it :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2011, 11:15:50 am »

By sheer luck I managed to find one of those "Best Buy" like re-releases of old games, and lo and behold SMAC+X was there for a dime - I feel kind of cheap seeming as I once managed to pick up the Complete Civilization Edition (The one with 1,2,3 & 4 and the card games) in some outskirts supermarket for little over 2£.

So yeah, game installed, SMAX patched to 2.0 and resolution fix applied. Works like a charm on Win7 64bit.

I love how random the game can get. Started my first game as a Gaian, 20? turns in I find an Ogre Bot thingy, get it randomly teleported next to Morgan's HQ and dissolved him in seconds. Not even Civ was this random at the best of times :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2011, 11:25:09 am »

Is it from SMAX? I don't remember popping Ogres from unity pods in SMAC. I could forget though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23