Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 47257 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 10:05:48 am »

Combat sucks? AC has the single best combat model in all Civesque games.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 10:08:40 am »

It still has that dice roll, which is quite sad. Otherwise it's better than in other civ, with odds being determined by the "tiredness" of the unit and psi combat.

I personally prefer CivV combat.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 10:09:27 am »

Every combat model has a 'dice roll' I dont see why AC should be penalised for it.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 10:12:30 am »

Combat sucks? AC has the single best combat model in all Civesque games.
I didnt say that Civ games had good combat.
I simply dislike the combat in those games

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 12:38:49 pm »

The combat is good if your foe isn't too overpowering, going Impact against AI with Sharf weaponry is ugh...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 12:56:14 pm »

Every combat model has a 'dice roll' I dont see why AC should be penalised for it.
Still, you cannot decide and withdraw your unit mid-combat, or cover it with another.

Basically I dislike "win or die based on dice" concept alltogether. I would prefer if we had more control than "x dice vs y" during the combat :). Well, many games use it. An example is "auto combat" in Heroes of Might and Magic series: I don't use it for the same reason, I prefer to manually control battles and use my skill rather than luck only, and have a chance to withdraw.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 01:19:46 pm »

The dice element still doesn't enable to rampage with outdated techs, and moreover, in SMAC, landscape etc. influences the combat, so being smart is as good as being lucky.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 02:21:55 pm »

Still, you cannot decide and withdraw your unit mid-combat, or cover it with another.

Basically I dislike "win or die based on dice" concept alltogether. I would prefer if we had more control than "x dice vs y" during the combat :). Well, many games use it. An example is "auto combat" in Heroes of Might and Magic series: I don't use it for the same reason, I prefer to manually control battles and use my skill rather than luck only, and have a chance to withdraw.

I disagree. I nearly always support my troops with artillery and air forces and cruise missiles. The support is more direct, also there is withdraw with mobile units. Still I see your point!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 02:52:46 pm »

The dice element still doesn't enable to rampage with outdated techs, and moreover, in SMAC, landscape etc. influences the combat, so being smart is as good as being lucky.
Yes, but I was not talking about tech advantage or landscape, I said these are big PLUS. I told about unit vs unit combat. What are you arguing about? :)

I disagree. I nearly always support my troops with artillery and air forces and cruise missiles. The support is more direct, also there is withdraw with mobile units. Still I see your point!
Yes, there is a good amount of control in Civilization battle system, but I prefer to have more influence on battle, that's all. I understand that you cannot make tactical battle in such global strategy, so it's something we have to live with (but I would love if a battle allowed to use a few units at once rather than one on one).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 03:55:31 pm »

Yes, there is a good amount of control in Civilization battle system, but I prefer to have more influence on battle, that's all.

That's why I like best the "master of orion II and its followers" type of turn based strategy game

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2011, 06:15:15 pm »

Yeah, MOO2 had a very cool combat. I loved it. You could not only move units like in other epic TBS like heroes, but also use various subsystems to attack different enemies.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2011, 09:12:00 pm »

Yeah, I don't see why people like the expansion.  The new techs were unnecessary (oh great, different 3 and 6 armor, often gained earlier than you should get it, that just makes it easier to defend against mindworms, which throws balance out of whack), the aliens were awful, the Cyborgs were absurdly broken (unless you were the kind of person who liked the population boom cheese), fungus boy was totally bland, and the Pirates were the worst thing in the universe because of the territory mechanics (you built on a shoreline?  sorry, I built in the water next to you and peacefully stole all your territory lolz).  The Drones were kind of okay I guess but their special ability was lame and/or cheap, the Data Angels were stupid and buggy, and I guess that's it.

But the main game...god, it was the best thing ever.  It's great for PBEM.  Especially if you get into roleplaying, manipulating people, making deals on who has the rights to claim different territory (I'll give you that island chain if you let me settle the mountain unmolested), making under-the-table deals to hand technology to the AI in your buddy's back yard...  It's everything a multiplayer game should be.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: assimilate-u
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »

Wish i had this.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:04 pm »

Never played this before now. Downloaded the demo. Played it three times.

Where has it been all my life?!
No kidding. You can get a vista friendly (and by extention windows 7) off of amazon dot com. I tried torrents, but most have 16 bit installers, so I wasn't able to try the game out until I got it off of amazon. I think it's going for ten bucks, although I wish they'd have a downloadable version.

news from me! download the unoffical patch to get it to work for vista and 7: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=240

instructions here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 11:23:49 pm »

The unofficial patch wouldn't have helped with the original CDs since they came with a 16 bit installer, and those don't work on the 64 bit systems. Hence why I got the 10th anniversary edition. It's a matter of installing the game for me, and anyone else with a 64 bit OS.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23