Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread  (Read 47237 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Alpha Centauri (SMAC/SMAX) thread
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 02:24:09 pm »

If it was remade, I wish it was a new game... By the way, there is a nice Alpha Centauri TC for CIV IV.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »

yea planetfall, but its not the same.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »

Civ IV: Colonization is not the same as Colonization either.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2011, 03:12:45 pm »

which is why i hate that one :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »

Incidentally, EA still holds the rights to AC, so they can't make a direct sequel. I see no reason why that would stop them from making a sequel in everything but name and possibly some details, however.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »

It could even take place at the same star system, I mean you can't copyright that. There's not much to the IP, factions and native lifeforms only.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2011, 04:19:01 pm »

factions
There's your problem.  AC would not be AC without those seven factions.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2011, 05:05:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you could manage to come up with seven new factions that could be well balanced.  Off the top of my head:

Reclusive bio-engineering faction (adapts to planet well and terraforms quickly, takes advantage of native life better)
Oligarchic espionage and information loving faction (bonuses to espionage, research, exploration and diplomacy)
Theocratic religion of balance fanatics faction (slow production and terraforming but no pollution and cheap maintenance)
Anarchistic machinery fanatic faction (high cost, powerful units, bonus to manufacturing improvements, penalty to bio improvements)
Democratic freedom loving faction (trade, research and happiness bonus, penalty to upkeep and pollution)
Iron fisted totalitarian faction (trade, pollution and happiness penalties, low upkeep, military production bonus, experience bonus)
Destructive slave-taking barbarians faction (huge tilt towards military, can't build infrastructure for crap)

As good as the SMAC?  Nope.  Good enough to work with a game that already has solid gameplay mechanics?  Sure.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2011, 05:10:40 pm »

Its not just the traits of the factions but the story that went with them.  I loved the short story "Journey to Centauri" that came with the game.  http://www.firaxis.com/smac/story.cfm.  The leaders of the factions had such neat motivations and ways of thinking that made the whole setting that much more interesting.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »

And a new story could be written that would be cool as well.  It's possible to be a spiritual successor to a strong story without copying it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2011, 05:17:04 pm »

Eh, I think they'd have to come up with something completely different to really make it work, though. Sure, they could create a different but similar religious nut faction, and a different but similar researcher faction, and different but similar mind worms, but I just don't think it'd work out very well with that kind of "let's copy this thing that was awesome, but tweak it slightly" attitude.

I have no doubt they could make a very good scifi Civ-like game that happened to possess some of SMAC's features, but I don't have much faith in "a remake of SMAC that skirts copyright infringement."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2011, 03:13:20 am »

Knowing how many times they've (Firaxis) completely rebuild games while in development over the years, I doubt we'll see anything remotely similar to what we think of as SMAX anyway. But never say never - we got Pirates! and Colo afterall. :)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:53 am »

Considering how they remade Colonization, I wouldn't dismiss the thought of going back to Alpha Centauri at some point - either as a Civ5 engine remake or maybe even as a Civ5 mod from the fans. :o

This depresses me, as It reminds me how much less fun the remade colonization was. I would have paid for the same game with better graphics and some decent network code.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2011, 10:06:43 am »

are you talking about FreeCol?

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:12 pm »

Eh, I think they'd have to come up with something completely different to really make it work, though. Sure, they could create a different but similar religious nut faction, and a different but similar researcher faction, and different but similar mind worms, but I just don't think it'd work out very well with that kind of "let's copy this thing that was awesome, but tweak it slightly" attitude.

I wouldn't really want to play a game where everything was the same but slightly tweaked, but let's be fair: The factions aren't ultra-compact packages that you absolutely can't take anything away from. If you understand what concepts about the original factions are fundamental and what are more about flavor, I think you could simply replace the flavour and come out with something that's better than the original in an absolute sense. Let's have a look at the factions in roughly descending order of "copyability", i.e. roughly how similarly a faction has to be designed to its SMAC version to conceptually work:

Morganites: Capitalists. Replaceable with more capitalists. As long as you aren't so lazy as to put in "Americans" and call it a night, you can't really go wrong with any flavour. Well, don't put in "Japanese" either, unless you're out to appeal to players with eighties nostalgia.

University: They're the faction that's for science. FOR SCIENCE ALWAYS FOR SCIENCE ABOUT EVERYTHING! The Cold War stereotype is entirely interchangeable with any other vaguely science-oriented one you could think of. Modernised versions of hard-assed German doktors wearing round-lens spectacles and using the underclass as test subjects, Chinese with a burgeoning bureaucracy where no-one even knows about any lack of ethics (or, never finds out about it through official channels anyway), etc.. Or, since the University made more use of the national stereotype than the other factions, just have them be an international league of mad scientists led by a Doctor Evil.

Peacekeepers: Look at your other factions, pick a nationality that isn't represented, make a leader out of a Kofi Annan substitute from the chosen nationality, done.

Gaians: Perhaps the most inevitable faction in the game. Sort of difficult to replace because of that. I guess one thing you could do is split them into two, ala Gaians/Planet Cult, but along a different axis. For instance one unscrupulous (and very secular) faction that deliberately uses the Planet as its attack dog, versus a more mystical and peaceful one. A hybridisation faction vs. an all-native ecology (with the occasional greenhouse for humans to grow food in that won't blow their heads up). Etc..

Spartans: Getting tougher now. The Spartans would laugh the Tea Partiers out of the room. I'd personally redesign them as based more on an ideology similar to national romanticism - including an almost fanatic appreciation of old "great" art - but without any one nation as the subject. Sort of a "we humans have fighting spirit" thing. Given that we probably won't have a SMAC II until, eh, 2200 or so, they could even idolise Hitler and Stalin :p

Believers: Miriam's really the hardest leader to figure out, and I love her for it. Is she the simple religious fanatic she plays like? A compassionate Christian whose aggression value just happened to be fat-fingered by the developers? A charlatan abusing the faith of her flock? Is she really a pretty reasonable person during the midgame, until the development of the really humanity-changing endgame techs makes her go nuts (as some of her quotes would indicate)?

Hive: The Hive's a beautiful, beautiful faction. Totalitarianism, repression of the very human spirit, defeating its enemies with human wave tactics... with everything led by a frighteningly intelligent, soft-spoken, charismatic man with some very interesting ideals. I got the conception from the game that if Yang just had an hour or two to discuss the subject, he'd have no problem convincing you that everything the Hive does is really for the best and the other factions really should just follow suit. The leader's nationality improves the initial facade of "evil commie", even. I can't think of anything you could replace in the Hive design without breaking it horribly.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23