Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Man, recovering a Fortress really sucks.  (Read 1900 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Man, recovering a Fortress really sucks.
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:39:20 pm »

That's just about it. I hate having to reclaim stuff all over my map, but I hate starting over more.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man, recovering a Fortress really sucks.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:58:01 pm »

Build metal bins next time--the heavier they are the less likely they'll move far from your stockpile.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:31 pm »

You could always make your dwarfs speed:0 for the first month of reclaim.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:14:48 pm »

You could always make your dwarfs speed:0 for the first month of reclaim.

This tends to be my answer personally. However it doesn't bother me to speed:0.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:29:02 pm »

I feel like I should have thought about that...ah well, thanks.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:32:38 pm »

I wish you could either set in the Init files to not forbid the items, or have a toggle* ingame to forbid/reclaim all items on map.

*Like ignore/collect refuse that's outside, auto-prepare raw fish etc.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:52:39 pm »

Make a macro to do it for you automatically. Those things own.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 01:27:41 am »

Really?  Things inside heavy bins are less likely to move?  Can an adventurer reclaim things that are inside bins?  I could build a platinum bin and store armor in it, if that's the case...  Platinum, of course, being about the heaviest non-modded material in the game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 01:31:39 am »

Really?  Things inside heavy bins are less likely to move?  Can an adventurer reclaim things that are inside bins?  I could build a platinum bin and store armor in it, if that's the case...  Platinum, of course, being about the heaviest non-modded material in the game.

Commonly done. People use Platinum or the more abundant Copper.

For everyone else, how hard is it really to unforbid in the stocks section of z?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 01:39:21 am »

Platinum isn't that hard to come by, especially since you can request it from the caravan, or better yet request platinum nuggets, they're cheap and just need to be smelted!

I'll have to remember that though, so that I can set up my own noob adventurer in masterful Blue, or set up intricate dungeons for others.  Or myself.  Sometimes I'll build something complex and then shelf it for a year, so that I've forgotten by the time I come back and it's a new experience :D

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 01:55:46 am »

I've been doing a reclaim of a community fort (Battlefailed), and I thought it was a good thing that everything started out forbidden - it prevented my dwarves from running off into unsafe areas whenever they had a yen for a spiffy new silk sock. The amount of litter was rather a lot though - it's been three years now and I've only just now mostly finished scraping together all the stuff that was inside the fort, I've barely started on the stuff that wound up outside. If I didn't have a streak of neat and tidiness OCD when it comes to Dwarf Fortress I would have probably just forbidden and hidden the surface stuff and forgotten about it.

It would be nice, for adventure dungeon setup purposes, to be able to assign stuff to specific coffers. It's traditional to find chests full of treasure in dungeons.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 01:58:48 am »

I know, right?  Support for dungeons seems a little lacking in the game, and it seems like of all things, making a fort for adventurers to get slaughtered in would be one of the biggest joys.  After all, what better way to abuse the lives of hundreds of nameless dwarves, than using them to construct a masochism pit for one single dwarf?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 02:15:28 am »

Commonly done. People use Platinum or the more abundant Copper Lead.

For everyone else, how hard is it really to unforbid in the stocks section of z?

Fixed that there. I have never had a long-running fort that didn't end up with shitloads of lead, and it's just barely heavy enough (or at least it was in 40d) to prevent any and all scattering.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Voyager

• Bay Watcher
  • Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 02:33:28 am »

Haven't had to reclaim the fort yet, but I have had a number of mess battles outside, so their is a notable amount of junk out there.  I've found that claiming things through the Stocks screen, and then binding all the Dwarves to a Burrow of my current fortress keeps things under control more.  As I get the inner sections cleaned up, I can extend the burrow into the outer areas, without my Dwarves also deciding to run across the map for the stack of Steel Anvils that the Dwarf Trader dropped.

On the other hand, it gives me lots of "Store Item Cancled" spam, so ymmv.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 02:39:50 am »

I cancel those message, Orders menu, and x key to toggle them off.  I turn them on for a while to figure out why no one is building my suits of armor and other stuff, but otherwise leave it off.

d - b - c to mass-reclaim, you can click with the mouse or draw boxes with the cursor to select whole squares.  That way, you can reclaim a few squares of goblinite at a time instead of having a mass-rush into the other 2 squads of ambushers who were late to the party.