Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 68979 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #345 on: May 15, 2011, 01:02:57 pm »

I would like to state for the record that DF's interface is very intuitive compared to nethack's.
Seconded.
Thirded.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Chunes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »

I don't have strong feelings one way or another about this.

I just wanted to say that I think DF's UI is better, as in easier to use and faster. Am I the only one who thinks clicking on buttons with the mouse is clunky and inelegant?

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 15, 2011, 03:17:58 pm »

The DF GUI is easy to use once you have the hotkeys down. Most people trying DF aren't going to really have much of a want to learn the interface until they see how great the game, and to do that you're going to have to sludge through the interface.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Chunes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 15, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »

Then again, I was a huge NetHack junky with dozens of ascensions under my belt before I discovered DF. Just the fact that nearly every function in DF is labelled was enough for me to consider the interface extremely intuitive.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 15, 2011, 03:22:55 pm »

Then again, I was a huge NetHack junky with dozens of ascensions under my belt before I discovered DF.
Damn, you're lucky.

I discovered Nethack about 8 years ago and I still haven't been able to get anywhere near the endgame.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »

I would like to state for the record that DF's interface is very intuitive compared to nethack's.
Seconded.
Thirded.
That's like saying the bread on your counter tastes as good as the mold growing in the fridge.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2011, 05:29:26 pm »

Only if it is a tasty mold that many people like better then bread.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2011, 05:33:54 pm »

Like cheese? Some people apparently like mouldy cheese.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2011, 05:40:43 pm »

All cheeses have been in contact with some kind of mould at some point, and a few cheeses are in large part, mould.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2011, 05:41:21 pm »

Yeah I lost hold of this conversation a while ago.

What is this mold we are talking about? It is a game, but I have no idea which one.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2011, 06:38:28 pm »

All cheeses have been in contact with some kind of mould at some point, and a few cheeses are in large part, mould.
That's not actually true, unless you're counting technically being exposed to spores during transport, in which case all objects not in a sterile environment are. Cheese is produced by addition of rennet or heat and/or acid to curdle milk, followed by pressing out of the whey. Mold exposure is only necessary in certain kinds of aged, ripened cheeses (such as blue cheese or any of the really soft ones like brie; these will typically have visible mold). Most cheeses are exposed to other microorganisms as a part of aging, though (excepting fresh cheeses, of course).

I blame Dwarf Fortress for making me read the Wikipedia article on cheese.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 16, 2011, 07:05:11 am »

Well hey, I guess I should specify a little better. I can live with the interface, but it scares off alot of people from even bothering. That has to say somthing. I do enjoy playing games that friends can enjoy with me, even single player games and this leaves a sour taste in my mouth when everyone I know refuses to touch it.

I also wouldn't compare it to nethack, because nethack is much simpler, dealing with only one entity(yourself) with far less nested menus.

Closest example I can think of where hotkeys helps streamline workflow is something like blender. But then again, blender also uses all three mouse buttons in combination with the hotkeys aswell as having a graphical UI where 99% of the hotkey features can be accessed.

Still, this is about 'is this a clone?' thread, not a debate about the DF interface. Guess I should have left any mention of DF's interface out of this, seeings it gets so many people so worked up.

DwarvesH - Suggestion for when you asked how would we like things done differently. Build walls how you would dig! 10x10 DF build area limit makes for time consuming constructions!
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2011, 11:52:13 am »

I have just read this entire thread from start to finish, a bit of the saga of khazad (honestly had no idea that went on) and a fair bit of the DwarvesH blog, its taken me 3 hours (fark I should be sleeping).  I gotta say I feel alot stupider for the experience, but I think that just comes from reading whole forum threads and will pass.

So:  is it a clone?  Yep, at this stage very Yep.
Is that bad?  Nup, as long as he isnt taking money from toady in a nasty or underhanded fashion then I say its fine, if it came down to honest competition, Im behind toady all the way, cause beyond loving DF, I like the way the forums here are, I like the model toady has for making his income and I like toadys style  (maths prof. quits to make an ascii game = legend) but thats just me and its a free internet. 
  On the subject of clones id say that almost everybody on this forum (shit, maybe 1/2 of the gamers out there)  have some inkling of an idea about a survival/builder type game (ive dreamed of something a bit like DF, but post apocalyptic, with smaller forces and more rpg elements since I was a kid) and there are literally about a dozen of these games ever made.

That said my first real contact with DwarvesH was the youtube vid, I get that it is all placeholder and a simple way to start, but it ground my gears to watch the vid and see the embark stuff ripped word for word from DF.  My kneejerk reaction was 'who the fark does this idiot think he is?'  I kept reading the blog, worked out what was going on and got over it, but it was one of those things that could have been totally averted with a very short explanation in the description of the vid.  (hindsight and all that)

Im very interested to see how you end up handling combat and wounds with the time system you have  (yes, the engine is NOTHING AT ALL LIKE DF), rotting and a few other things as well.  Im sure I had some other points to make, ummm.....
Thread derailment makes my head hurt,  someone said something about the US healthcare system being good  (im an aussie and have traveled to the US, used the healthcare sys in both for major and minor stuff)  IT REALLY ISNT, ITS AN OVERPRICED GODDAMN SHAMBLES THAT IS NOT ONLY COSTING YOUR COUNTRY (in more than tax money)  its is also one of those things that makes the US an international laughing stock.  (ohh look a thread derailment)  yah, my experiance with US healthcare wasnt good.
aaaand ill stop and go to sleep now 

If life gives you lemons, burn them.

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 17, 2011, 07:28:48 am »

Ah, so this thread is alive again? Wonderful!

I don't have strong feelings one way or another about this.

I just wanted to say that I think DF's UI is better, as in easier to use and faster. Am I the only one who thinks clicking on buttons with the mouse is clunky and inelegant?

I still have support for hotkeys. Always had, always will. Do you see the number keys on the buttons? Rather than having random keys for actions all over the keyboard (well, not random), I use the numerical keys for actions and random keys for other options. My interface is equally well suited for mouse use and keyboard use, but it is at its best when the two are used together.
Keyboard is for fast hotkey action. Buttons are there until you learn the hotkeys or if you happen to forget one. Mouse is there for selection. If you are faster at doing high precision complicated shape selections with keyboard than me with a mouse, I owe you my sincerest respect for your crazy skills.

The DF GUI is easy to use once you have the hotkeys down. Most people trying DF aren't going to really have much of a want to learn the interface until they see how great the game, and to do that you're going to have to sludge through the interface.

I do not agree. Learning the hotkeys is just a small fraction of learning the GUI of DF. With all due respect to the DF team, the interface is horrible, both by my experience and some people I know, and both by following text books (metaphorical or not) on good interface design. Designing a good interface is like art. I understand that DF is focused on an ever increasing number of features and depth, but I myself do not wish to ignore the GUI and have moved it at the top of my feature list from the moment I started this project.

It is not good to have an interface that only caters to one very specific public, unless you can guarantee that that very specific public expects the interface constructed in that way and that no other public will be interested and if you do not wish another public to be interested. But I fear it is the other way around: people would expect a different interface, but they adapt to this one. And probably not with the greatest level of enthusiasm. Sure, it doesn’t bother you that much once you have learned it, but I would appreciate if the learning curve was more expertly designed.

Here is a crazy idea: a gentle learning curve and an interface that can be learned at first by someone’s Angry Birds playing grandma. Can it be achieved with such complex games? No! That does not mean one cannot try to get a little bit closer to that ever elusive goal.

I also wouldn't compare it to nethack, because nethack is much simpler, dealing with only one entity(yourself) with far less nested menus.

I played some Nethack and the interface was in no way good, but it was simpler than the one from DF. On the other hand, it was a long time ago. ADOM also is an interesting specimen interface wise.

Closest example I can think of where hotkeys helps streamline workflow is something like blender. But then again, blender also uses all three mouse buttons in combination with the hotkeys aswell as having a graphical UI where 99% of the hotkey features can be accessed.

I agree. Keyboard and mouse have both advantages and disadvantages. Use both for best results. I am surprised that DF does have mouse support, but it is VERY VERY sporadic. You can do one or two things with the mouse.

DwarvesH - Suggestion for when you asked how would we like things done differently. Build walls how you would dig! 10x10 DF build area limit makes for time consuming constructions!

I appreciate all constructive feedback and am looking forward to such suggestions. Unfortunately, I do not understand what you mean here. Would you please elaborate?

I gotta say I feel alot stupider for the experience, but I think that just comes from reading whole forum threads and will pass.

I sincerely hope this was not caused by anything you might have read on my blog :).

Im very interested to see how you end up handling combat and wounds with the time system you have  (yes, the engine is NOTHING AT ALL LIKE DF), rotting and a few other things as well.  Im sure I had some other points to make, ummm.....

As you may have read, I have a time compression in place. Time scales to make the shortest duration action manageable. In combat, time will slow down more, giving you ample time to make sound tactical decisions. Combat will be tactical, not reflex based. There is going to more ranged combat and one of my races, the mages, only have access to ranged combat.

Rotting is planned, but not for now so I can’t give you any more details now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:59:19 am by DwarvesH »

Chunes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:05 am »

Fair enough about simultaneous mouse/keyboard support.

I still disagree that DF's interface is 'terrible.' I think people like to pick on it because it's vogue to do so. It doesn't deserve as much crap as it gets.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:51:38 am by Chunes »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25