Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69115 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2011, 03:06:54 pm »

I don't think they generally copy the entire list of items and replicate the game mechanics exactly, though.
And there's a download for this other game that proves this does as well?

When I download this game, can you point me to the military screen for Dwarvesh?  Where's the biome selection screen in DF?  Where's the options in DF to select a block and get all the options I can do to that block?

Edit:  Oh right... I forgot:  Where's the adventure mode?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:13:23 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »

I don't think they generally copy the entire list of items and replicate the game mechanics exactly, though.

Yeah, I don't think he's actually planning to copy that. Like, in whatever distant future version he ends up releasing. Snagging the plump helmets for test purposes is entirely reasonable. Well, he might have been better off not posting screenshots of them. :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:30 pm »

You can't download it, but you can see from the video that it's exactly the same in almost every regard.

We don't know if it's stolen all of DF's mechanics, but most of what it has is stolen.

And really... I wouldn't think there's too much of a problem, except that he doesn't seem to credit the original much.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2011, 04:12:12 pm »

And really... I wouldn't think there's too much of a problem, except that he doesn't seem to credit the original much.

i really don't think you're being fair, the fact that he didn't bother to change the name of plump helmets is a way to credit the original itself, and if you read his blog you'll se he assumed df's influence since the beginning

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »

Let's imagine I had never heard of Dwarf Fortress and saw that video.  Who would I think was responsible for everything?

Again, he needs to clearly state that it's based off or is a modified version of DF.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2011, 04:22:15 pm »

Let's imagine I had never heard of Dwarf Fortress and saw that video.  Who would I think was responsible for everything?

Again, he needs to clearly state that it's based off or is a modified version of DF.
I do have to agree with this.  While I am alright with him using these methods for developing DwarvesH, as long as the resemblance is this strong he should really link to Dwarf Fortress.  It is a bit underhanded right now.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2011, 04:43:55 pm »

the way i see it he just used youtube to host a few videos he wanted to post on his blog and didn't bother to fill them up with disclaimers, he probably wasn't expecting this kind of backlash... you guys are attacking the guy based on a minor oversight

also, the videos clearly link to his blog and twitter, where df is credited since the first post, this for me is a proof of good faith

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »

Nah, it's cool.  I don't really think I'm attacking.  If you make a flash animation with Mario in it, he's well known enough that you can just say "Hey it's Mario", and people will get the credit.  But when it comes to more minor characters, such as DF and MSPaint Adventures, it should be encouraged to name your source.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:55 pm »

Well then.  I await the published guidelines on proper creditability based on user following and popularity of software.  I assume said publication will include guidelines on how and when to place disclaimers so that someone may avoid being stoned by rabid fans.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2011, 05:25:05 pm »

Well then.  I await the published guidelines on proper creditability based on user following and popularity of software.  I assume said publication will include guidelines on how and when to place disclaimers so that someone may avoid being stoned by rabid fans.

I, too, await these guidelines on legal standing based on community following.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 13, 2011, 05:55:01 pm »

I have no idea what you're trying to say.  It's nothing to do with "disclaimers" or "avoiding rabid fans".  It's "Giving credit to your sources".  I can't release a copy of Lord of the Rings with some nice pictures added and pass it off as all my own work.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2011, 06:21:49 pm »

I have no idea what you're trying to say.  It's nothing to do with "disclaimers" or "avoiding rabid fans".  It's "Giving credit to your sources".  I can't release a copy of Lord of the Rings with some nice pictures added and pass it off as all my own work.

and that is completely irrelevant as nobody released dwarf fortress with nice pictures and claimed it as their own

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2011, 07:42:14 pm »

and that is completely irrelevant as nobody released dwarf fortress with nice pictures and claimed it as their own
I think that's actually the accusation here.  It seems like one camp thinks he's claiming it as his own, one says he needs more credit-giving in his posts, one thinks that he doesn't need to credit, one thinks that he's ripping features, others think its just temporary...  The whole "dwarf fortress with nice pictures" thing is half of the "problem."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2011, 07:47:12 pm »

It's very clear with the simplest of research (looking at his blog) that he credits and respects Dwarf Fortress. Heck, he posts on this very forum.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2011, 07:47:40 pm »

I think that's actually the accusation here.  It seems like one camp thinks he's claiming it as his own, one says he needs more credit-giving in his posts, one thinks that he doesn't need to credit, one thinks that he's ripping features, others think its just temporary...  The whole "dwarf fortress with nice pictures" thing is half of the "problem."
One wonders if those same people complained about Solitaire, Mahjong....  because someone made those games easily accessible to many more than the originals.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25